Canberra 1976 911, the good, the bad, and the leaky.

SimonR

I have a similar leak from the same area...not as pronounces but it does leak from the crimp onto the auction hose...had a look on pelican, priced up both hoses including delivery...I thought I would try Just James and he came back very very close to PP...so I decided to pick u

My online research told me it seems to be a pretty standard spot for leaks. The tests that I saw were if the rubber line is hard, and that the crimp can be twisted, it's buggered -- and both are the case on mine. Good to know about Just James and the $$! Now all I need is your comprehensive and photo-laden post on how to actually do the replacement. Can't wait!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simon, not sure where you are located in brisbane, but I've just had my motor out and fixed some leaks, so might be able to help...turns out every time i go to do a job, I have to buy a new tool.. I now own a 36mm crows foot.

So far mine is still dry... fingers crossed...

[url=http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/mikedsilva/media/Porsche%20964%20Tiptronic%20BLUE/Engine%20Drop/DSC02425_zps4f367c97.jpg.html]

Simon, not sure where you are located in brisbane, but I've just had my motor out and fixed some leaks, so might be able to help...turns out every time i go to do a job, I have to buy a new tool.. I now own a 36mm crows foot.

So far mine is still dry... fingers crossed...

[url=http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/mikedsilva/media/Porsche%20964%20Tiptronic%20BLUE/Engine%20Drop/DSC02425_zps4f367c97.jpg.html]

Thanks Mike -- I appreciate it. I'm over in Bardon, so nice and central. I've been following your thread with great interest. I've just started making a list of what I'll need to do the oil line replacement and a 36mm crows foot is on that list! From what I've read it can be difficult to get the lines off the thermostat -- age and corrosion seem to be the main culprits.

Great work Simon! 

From the experience I had with my oil lines you should start spraying the connections at the thermostat end with WD40 or similar as they could  be the ones that give you problems, and if they don't budge give me a shout and I'll bring the dremel over.

Great work Simon!

From the experience I had with my oil lines you should start spraying the connections at the thermostat end with WD40 or similar as they could be the ones that give you problems, and if they don't budge give me a shout and I'll bring the dremel over.

Damn! That sounds serious, I'm on it!

And, the most exciting part, I think we're getting somewhere on the oil leaks! 

The car's been up on jack stands since Sunday when I did all the cleaning and pulling bits off. It hasn't been started, just been sitting there. Only slight weeping from the oil line crimp, which is what I would expect given that there's no pressure. Everything was dry on Monday night when I went down to check. This is what I found last night when I went down to start putting the tin ware back in:

IMG_4630_small.JPG

Bugger was my first thought, I've got Caledonian's leaking oil cooler problem. But I crawled around underneath, and the bottom of the oil cooler is completely dry. This appears to be what I've got going on:

IMG_4639_small.JPG

The oil is coming down behind the oil cooler, running down the leading edge of the valve covers then dripping down onto the heat exchanger and continuing its downhill run to the lowest part, then pooling a little and dripping down. Other side (centre of the engine) is completely dry:

IMG_4647_small.JPG

So gentlemen, what do we think? Typical culprits seem to be: crankcase breather hose; oil cooler thermostat; oil pressure switch; oil cooler seals. Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Hmm. could be the oil cooler seals and it also could be the troublesome trio on the stop of the engine.

Try this, if you have a small camera stick down the back of the motor (in the direction of the trio) and click away checking your shots occasionally to hone in on the target area. This is how i found my trio weep (breather hose).

Tinware looks fine BTW

Archived