Canberra 1976 911, the good, the bad, and the leaky.

SimonR

Hey simon sounds like you've got the anxiety under control ...PCB say its spewing oil...but you only see a drop a day?

Out of interest post some pics; sure you'll get the voyeurs, the hand wringers and some insight.

BTW you ever get onto the agatino? the mechanic who did the 'rebuild'.

Havent forgot the info on the susp. pan for the 67. cheers michel

Yeah, I think the anxiety is about as under control as it can get. One of the reasons that I didn't buy a $40K car was that I wanted $10K up my sleeve for exactly this type of eventuality. I don't want to spend it, but if it turns out I have to, then at least I can.

Here are the pics, they're not great, and I had to hold my phone right under the car to get these. You can see that it's wet, but I'm definitely only getting a drip per day onto the garage floor, it's just what the fix is that's the issue. Any insights appreciated:

IMG_4188_small.jpg

IMG_4189_small.jpg

IMG_4190_small.jpg

IMG_4191_small.jpg

IMG_4192_small.jpg

IMG_4197_small.jpg

These were taken prior to the car going in.

Not luck getting onto the mechanic as yet. I've left a message, but haven't had a response. I'll keep trying though and see what I can get. Great, just let me know what Grant thinks when he gets a chance to check it out.

Thanks!

Simon

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have the CV boots been changed recently?

I'd clean it all off and take photos - there's no easy way of telling where it's coming from otherwise

I'm not sure, the car has no history at all. Michel managed to track down a phone number for the mechanic that had previously worked on it, but I'm not having any luck getting a hold of him.

Is this a CV boot?

IMG_4195_small.jpg

If it is, it looks pretty tidy … 

As soon as I get the car back (it's all been cleaned up now) I'll try and take some better pics and post them up.

yep, the way the stuff is flung up the fins makes me think it was a broken CV flinging grease at some stage.. but it does look more like oil in some parts

having it running on a hoist after being cleaned would be the best idea so you can look for leaks

Simon good advice previously offered, wash thoroughly as you've done - run it, drive it - check on hoist if you can or a set of stands ramps

Rear/front (I get confused) top of the engine area ( Bermuda Triangle), often a big culprit, as are weeping hoses connections which there are many and can and do make a BIG mess. But may not = strip, reseal reassemble. Probably the biggest hassle can be easy access to inspect, and repair. An ENGINE BOX drop can make it less arduous ; even if its not completely necessary. Educative and damn good fun when done with a shed companion

180 dola motor bike lift

Look forward to the next instalment - PS maybe consider a change to the thread title. :)

Simon good advice previously offered, wash thoroughly as you've done - run it, drive it - check on hoist if you can or a set of stands ramps

Rear/front (I get confused) top of the engine area ( Bermuda Triangle), often a big culprit, as are weeping hoses connections which there are many and can and do make a BIG mess. But may not = strip, reseal reassemble. Probably the biggest hassle can be easy access to inspect, and repair. An ENGINE BOX drop can make it less arduous ; even if its not completely necessary. Educative and damn good fun when done with a shed companion

Look forward to the next instalment - PS maybe consider a change to the thread title. :)

Sounds like a good plan. I'm actually looking forward to finding a shed buddy that I can learn from. I figure I can probably offer assistance in labour or beer in return for expertise!

I had a quick run through the help files and I can't work out how to change the thread title … can anyone point me in the right direction?

edit the first post, and go to 'full editor' and you can do it through there

twood used to host garage parties, I think we need to do something similar again! (mainly 'cause he has a hoist and pizza oven, and is a great guy)

edit the first post, and go to 'full editor' and you can do it through there

Perfect, thanks Russ … originally went to edit the first post, so I was on the right track, but didn't get as far as trying the full editor. Done!

On the topic of engine drops I see Supercheap has ATV lifts for sale at half price at the moment.  680kg capacity - enough for a 911 engine?

Thanks for the heads-up Coastr, I'll check them out now!

• 1 month later...

Hey all, I've been out of action for a few weeks with the family wiped out by the Influenza A outbreak (which my wife managed to convert to pneumonia, the poor bugger). Because of all that I haven't had much of a chance to work my way through the issues with my '76 911.

I've managed to strip the paint off one of my windows: 

And I've also managed to give the engine a really good clean to try and work out the source of the oil leaks. Most of the oil is on the driver's side (now that it's clean, there's currently nothing on the passenger side at all, but we'll see how long that lasts), and there's a fair bit of old oil mixed with road grime caked over pretty much everything. I ended up pulling off the rear wheel so that I could get in there with an old dustpan brush and degreaser to really get the gunk off. Wow that was fun! 

Now that all the mess has been removed it's not looking anywhere near as leaky as I'd been led to believe. I'm going to have another crack at some more cleaning this weekend, then take it out for a good hard run and see what springs out! I'll take some picks and update this thread.

One package of parts has arrived from overseas, and the other one is currently being held up by customs, but should be with me in the next few days or so. The rear seat belts for the kids have been installed and we managed to go for out first family drive last weekend!

IMG_4428_small.jpg

Once the new front seat belts arrived I'll be able to get the roadworthy sorted out and then I can work on the other bits and bobs: turbo tie-rods; drop the ride height a touch and have everything re-aligned. 

Great read Simon, please keep it (and the pics) coming .

I would agree with your approach so far and the advice previously given, time spent cleaning and diagnosing the work required will save you both time (some frustration) and money in the long run.

As I'm not too far from you and while I couldn't commit to the role of " Garage Buddy" happy to pop over to offer a 2nd of of eyes and share my experiences of working on fixing oil leaks.

Cheers

Mike

As I'm not too far from you and while I couldn't commit to the role of " Garage Buddy" happy to pop over to offer a 2nd of of eyes and share my experiences of working on fixing oil leaks.

Mike, keen to take you up on your generous offer, as you can imagine my inexperience means I'm not really sure what I'm looking at most of the time. I am having a great time getting messing and learning though!

I'll PM you my number Simon.

I'm in Canberra for a few days so it will have to be next week sometime. I'm sure there are plenty others on here willing to point at things and shake their heads too, whether any of the information you get is of any use will be debatable:)

I still think all you really need to do is get it clean, then go for roadworthy..

In principle yes … but one of the things noted was fraying on the driver's side seatbelt. I thought they were being babies about it until I pulled it out all the way (way further than I had under normal use) and there's a seriously frayed section right at the end.

My replacements are currently being held up by customs, but should be here early next week (I was hoping to get them today and to be able to put them in on the weekend but it doesn't look like that's going to happen) so it's worth waiting for that. I've also got replacement wiper blades and washer fittings coming so may as well get them sorted out at the same time.

The car's running like a dream which is a win! Such a pleasure to drive.

I'll PM you my number Simon.

I'm in Canberra for a few days so it will have to be next week sometime. I'm sure there are plenty others on here willing to point at things and shake their heads too, whether any of the information you get is of any use will be debatable:)

There'll be information given?

caledonian if you want to catch up with some locals give us a hoy- theres a run in the offing this sunday

Thank you Michel I would have loved to, but due the the circumstances that I'm down here I will have to decline.

Hopefully another time.

Cheers

Mike

• 1 month later...

It's been a little while since I've had a chance to post an update. 

Caledonian very kindly came around to my place a few Sundays ago and had a look at the leaky bits for me. It was great to have some help from someone who'd just finished chasing leaks themselves. At his suggestion I finally got myself some jack stands and managed to free up enough time to get myself dirty again.

I'd given underneath the engine a really good clean a few weeks ago and I've been driving it regularly (most days). This is what I've got going on:

IMG_4578_small.jpg

It looks to me as though the main culprit for the mess is the oil line to the thermostat. The crimp is loose and with all the previous gunk removed you can see clearly the path the oil is taking down the oil line and onto the suction hose as well as onto the heat exchanger. You can also see oil on the valve cover, which is how its dripping down onto the heat exchanger, but it looks to my inexperienced eye as though it's coming from the crimp as well. 

Here's another angle with the loose crimp highlighted:

IMG_4581_small.jpg

I was actually quite happy with this amount of leakage given that this is a few weeks of driving. 

There's definitely oil coming from other places, but the rest appears to be minor compared to this. I took out the tinware above the lower valve covers to see if there was anything coming from the top valve covers, and there doesn't seem to be … but, dammit Mike … you're right. Once I had that tin out, I couldn't leave it alone, so it's been prepped and re-painted. 

IMG_4612_small.jpg

Forgot to take a pic of it painted, but it's all still curing, so I'll take a shot before it goes back in.

I also managed to pull out the old front seat belts and install the new ones that arrived. The brackets were in pretty poor condition, so I pulled them out and cleaned them up and gave them a couple of coats of matt black kill rust as well and they look a million bucks (well, nine bucks I think, which was the replacement cost).

IMG_4628_small.jpg

The front seat belts and the oil leak were the last of my roadworthy issues (wipers are replaced; washers are replaced; rear seat belts are in) so as long as I can keep the oil from dripping, I should be able to get that sorted this week. Finally. 

The biggest issue that I have currently is carving out enough time to fix the minor things that are wrong. It's been quite frustrating to get started on one thing, to then either run out of time for that weekend, or to find something else (while I'm in there!) and then run out of time! Even still, I'm having a great time learning about the car, and just doing these simple things is increasing my level of confidence.

I have a similar leak from the same area...not as pronounced but it does leak from the crimp onto the suction hose...had a look on pelican, priced up both hoses including delivery...I thought I would try Just James and he came back very very close to PP...so I decided to pick up some additional bits and pieces and give my business to James...you would be surprised now with the way the Aussie dollar is and how ridiculous shipping is from PP that you can now justify spending your hard earned in Oz...

Archived