Canberra 1976 911, the good, the bad, and the leaky.

SimonR

Out of interest how many peeps dismissed the car Simon bought .. Poor add , 'weird owner..?

I've gained so many bargains over the years from such ads. Including my 911.

Mind you I have walked away from many many more too, but rubbish ads are where the bargains live.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. I found Bab's 964RS bonnet listed on ebay with Porsche spelt Porshce and zero info in the add other than a couple of photo's that gave away what it was. He picked it up for a couple of hundred with no other bidders.

i Have an inop left mirror (power adjustment not adjusting).   Any tips for where to start?  I'm guessing stuck mechanism from never being adjusted.  It's in the right position for me so no big deal right now, but its the sort of thing I like to get fixed.

my tip would be does it actually have a motor in it? I've got all the bits like the interior knob, the switch to select but no motors in either mirror... seems weird! (and I'm unsure if there'd ever be a reason to replace both mirrors)

I bought my car from eBay sight unseen based on some pictures of it dusty in a holding yard, the PO was kind enough to scan some of the recent service history, and the receipt for timing chain tensioners and head stud fixes.

If anyone has some of the mirror rubbers I'd be keen - my driver side one shrunk in the cold last time I was interstate!

i Have an inop left mirror (power adjustment not adjusting).   Any tips for where to start?  I'm guessing stuck mechanism from never being adjusted.  It's in the right position for me so no big deal right now, but its the sort of thing I like to get fixed.

Take glass out (carefully pry with plastic tool , there are 3 tabs holding mirror on). Then you can inspect the mechanism , undo the plug and test (find the right diagram for your year of car). The motor may be seized/rusted/damaged from a hit .Also make sure switch contacts at the door are cleaned and that all connectors are in place , and the right place! You will have to take the door card off, sorry, it's a bit of a pain.

I've still got one partly inoperable mirror on my 928 but really , I can't be bothered fiddling with it as my priorities are elsewhere. The mirrors are manually adjustable , and don't need moving unless others drive the car.

I think that's probably a reasonable perception, and why he hadn't used them previously, but it isn't born out by Dave's experience. He stopped using TD when Ted and Don split as he felt that it all went downhill pretty quickly after that point. No doubt TD are completely different as a business now than they were then, and at some point I'll give them a go.

same reason i use DHM now.

don was responsible for the setup and most of the work on my car, makes sense to keep it with him.

Simon this thread might assist with rubber rejuvenation?

http://forums.aaca.org/f143/rubber-rejuvination-restoration-294780.html

Michel, great thread I've bookmarked it for reference. They mirrors are really odd, it's almost as if someone's tried to paint them or sand them or something. The surface is totally buggered:

IMG_4182_small.jpg

IMG_4183_small.jpg

It's hardly the end of the world, but with everything else looking so tidy it'll be nice to get them sorted.

same reason i use DHM now.

don was responsible for the setup and most of the work on my car, makes sense to keep it with him.

That was essentially DAF911's situation as well, he couldn't find Don for a while after it all fell apart, then David moved to Sydney and when he came back just did the rounds until he was happy. The older I get the more I realise that it's the individual not the institution that makes the difference.

Michel, great thread I've bookmarked it for reference. They mirrors are really odd, it's almost as if someone's tried to paint them or sand them or something. The surface is totally buggered:

IMG_4182_small.jpg

IMG_4183_small.jpg

It's hardly the end of the world, but with everything else looking so tidy it'll be nice to get them sorted.

maybe they've been hit with a heat gun to try and rejuvenate it? some rubbers respond well to it (and some not so much)

Engine leaks … it's only putting out a drop a day by my garage floor, but PCB reckon it's spewing oil from everywhere.

Currently getting the broken sway bar mount fixed so that I can take it around to TD; Don Munro; and Promotive to get second, third, and fourth opinions. If I'm going to pull the engine out I may as well get on the slippery slope of having everything done. Or if I'm really lucky, maybe it's not as bad as PCB think and I can have some minor tidy ups done to get past roadworthy and put it off for a little while so I can plan the rebuild properly.

oil is cheaper than an engine rebuild....

Is it worth chasing the leaks before committing to doing everything?

I was told as soon as I got my car it 'needs a full reseal' I've been driving my car for the past 2 years and gradually fixing the oil leaks (went to turbo valve covers, resealed the intake valve covers, changed the oil sender at the back of the motor) the only one left is between the case halves and I'm leaving that until I ever rebuild it.

Are they saying it won't pass roadworthy as is?

That was exactly my plan as well (to gradually work through them all) but PCB won't pass it -- that's not to say that someone else won't though! And that's my preference. Get it on the road and work through the issues as I can, even if I have to take it to a non-porsche person just to get it past roadworthy.

DAF911 spent years pouring oil in the top of his 2.7 and having it run out the bottom with no ill effects, he figured it kept his oil nice and clean!

fix any external oil leaks before panicking about engine rebuilds.  Give it an oil change with some decent high zinc oil too, and take it for a decent (hard) drive of at least an hour.

Most leaks seem to be things like breather, oil hoses and oil pressure sender rather than crankcase.  Pulling the engine is worthwhile but don't stress about rebuilds just yet!

fix any external oil leaks before panicking about engine rebuilds. Give it an oil change with some decent high zinc oil too, and take it for a decent (hard) drive of at least an hour.

Most leaks seem to be things like breather, oil hoses and oil pressure sender rather than crankcase. Pulling the engine is worthwhile but don't stress about rebuilds just yet!

Funnily enough, I'm not that stressed about it yet. There has to be other options than pulling the engine out. Part of me is happy just to be dealing with actual issues, rather than the hypothetical issues that crop up during the buying process. Maybe this is crap, maybe that's crap. Now it's just a matter of working through it all.

I know I'll have pull it out at some point, I just want some time to be able to decide what I want done when I get to that point!

I would definitely go down the pouring oil into it if the economics of it work out.

.... BUT if you're planning to go do a track day with it you might not pass scrutineering or you might get be black flagged whilst on track. Generally not a good idea to be leaking oil on the track, but if there's hardly a leak then you can get away with it. Also some places will make you pay for fixing the track (generally sand and sometimes man hours)

I would definitely go down the pouring oil into it if the economics of it work out.

.... BUT if you're planning to go do a track day with it you might not pass scrutineering or you might get be black flagged whilst on track. Generally not a good idea to be leaking oil on the track, but if there's hardly a leak then you can get away with it. Also some places will make you pay for fixing the track (generally sand and sometimes man hours)

All good no track days at the moment!

If they have already started the roadworthy process you might be in a tight spot because if it fails a roadworthy check, then it has to be re-presented within x days with said issue fixed. Normally people book in for an 'inspection' which only turns into a roadworthy if everything is ok. I'd check which camp you are in ASAP.

Normally oil-leak roadworthy problems are fixed by lots of cleaning and trailering to inspection place, but if it's dripping out while it's running it's hard to work around.

Hey simon sounds like you've got the anxiety under control ...PCB say its spewing oil...but you only see a drop a day?

Out of interest post some pics; sure you'll get the voyeurs, the hand wringers and some insight.

BTW you ever get onto the agatino? the mechanic who did the 'rebuild'.

Havent forgot the info on the susp. pan for the 67. cheers michel

Archived