987 05 Boxster

vale56

Since you specifically mentioned pitfalls and did not cite any exceptions, I will go ahead and mention the obvious which is the IMS bearing issue. Keeping it brief...

The discerning buyer of any water cooled Porsche with an engine not in the front does not't want to handover the cash without googling and making inner peace one way or the other with the following:

'Porsche IMS bearing problem'

Do not be put off by what you read because you are potentially looking at buying what I think is one of the best value for money sports cars available. You just have to go in eyes wide open.

We've had our 05 S for 7 months now, it's been a joy to drive and own.  IMS issue is always in back of our mind, we will address it if and when any major work is required.  It didn't stop us from buying an 05 though.  We found 987 values +10k on a 986, but we think worth it, and substantial improvement in styling with front lights and air intake.  Only problem (apart from flat tyre during delivery trip.....) was an ignition problem with a faulty Coil on one cylinder that developed about a month ago.  Detected by our local workshop with their scantool, fixed with the help of JustJames at Autohaus Hamilton (where we bought the car) at about 2/3 cost of the part from the Tassie Porsche dealer.

Did manage to find out that clutch had been replaced sometime during the car's life so far, which gives me some degree of comfort that the IMS bearing would have been looked at & hopefully replaced at that time.  Prior history unless otherwise documented now almost impossible to find out from dealer / workshops due recent changes in Privacy laws - basically require permission in writing from proper owner for such info to be released.

cheers

Peter

Don't assume that the IMS was changed when the clutch was replaced. Unless it was advertised as such, assume the prior owner did the minimum.

It is almost bad that the clutch was replaced because that means it is a longer time before the trans is removed for a clutch replacement and you can look and see what bearing is there by looking at the external parts.

At the same time, the failure rate per year is not that bad that you should panic.  Just keep fresh oil in the car (6-months, maybe 8km) and try and use it on long enough trips that the oil warms up completely ... ~10 minutes after the temp guage reaches its max is about when the oil is fully warm. Once there, use the revs. The idea is to burn off any water vapour in the crankcase.

If the IMS was swapped out, there should be a plaque in the boot?  Is that correct Mikefocke?  

I know mine had it with the IMS Solution install and I'm pretty sure Nikos has one in his for his LN Bearing replacement.

TwoHeadsTas - have look at the boot lid and see if theres anything there. I didn't notice mine was there for ages after it was done.  Also from my research there might be a stamp in the service books so have a good look there.

I would think if you cant find either, then it probably hasn't been done.

Also if your car isn't a very very early built 2005 - the bearing may be sealed which means you can't service it.  My 987 was a November 2004 build.  

• 6 months later...

Thx all, I did buy it, had 41k, full service history, PPI showed no issues, 6 months on I'm a very happy chappy! The only downside is here in WA there are very few decent roads! Oh well, can't have it all!

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Archived