Anyone used one of these ATV/Motorcycle lift to drop an engine?

SimonR

I'd be interested to know if anyone's used one of these ATV/Motorcycle lifts to drop an engine? They're on sale at SuperCheap (thanks Coastr). I've seen in a couple of places people noting that they've used motorcycle lifts in the past, keen to know if anyone has direct experience with this one: 

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Lift-ATV-680kg.aspx?pid=284935#Cross

Or if you could point me in the direction of others that may be better.

Thanks!

Simon

I'd be interested to know if anyone's used one of these ATV/Motorcycle lifts to drop an engine? They're on sale at SuperCheap (thanks Coastr). I've seen in a couple of places people noting that they've used motorcycle lifts in the past, keen to know if anyone has direct experience with this one: 

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Lift-ATV-680kg.aspx?pid=284935#Cross

Or if you could point me in the direction of others that may be better.

Thanks!

Simon

Thats what i was going to use for mine, you could borrow it when i'm finished if you want but you will need a trailer and a couple of mates to lift it ;)

What Coaster mentioned about the mounting board seems to be the only drawback, but there are a few threads around with plans/dimensions of the board. At that price it defiantly with considering, only draw back with mine is that it sits off the floor higher and i had to remove the rear bar (no real biggy) to slide the motor out.

If you're not in a hurry mine should be back in by next weekend, and the bike lift will be free.

Thats what i was going to use for mine, you could borrow it when i'm finished if you want but you will need a trailer and a couple of mates to lift it ;)

Thanks Caledonian, very kind offer! I'm thinking that with the 911 already here and leaky, and a 912 on it's way in the next month or so, it's probably worth shelling out the $90 to have on hand. I don't have it use it much for it to pay for itself.

Simon

I used one for my recrnt engine install - though $180 for mine.I extended the lifting surface so it would support/balance the tranny.

Removed the rubber pads and bolted two lengths hardwood to the lifting surfaces. Extended 'tines'

Plus … I won't have to crawl around while I'm working on my Vespa … which seems to be a lot lately.

I'm always working on mine too,

They are a lot of fun though aren't they.

Italian vs German I guess.

I've got this lift table in the shed. It's rated to 850kg so lifting a motor and box out of the car is no big deal at all. The main advantage I see over a bike lift is it's one tool that can do many jobs. I use it to get the motor and box out but I can also lift it up to work on the engine at a good hight. No bending over or sitting on the ground for my old knees and back.

When it's not in service doing that I've used it as a service bench for my "70cc" trikes and also a mobile workbench. IMHO worth the extra $$ all day.

IMG_1660_zps1a5850c4.jpg

I've got this lift table in the shed. It's rated to 850kg so lifting a motor and box out of the car is no big deal at all. The main advantage I see over a bike lift is it's one tool that can do many jobs. I use it to get the motor and box out but I can also lift it up to work on the engine at a good hight. No bending over or sitting on the ground for my old knees and back.

When it's not in service doing that I've used it as a service bench for my "70cc" trikes and also a mobile workbench. IMHO worth the extra $$ all day.

IMG_1660_zps1a5850c4.jpg

Uncle, that looks like a great option. More details? Brand, cost, etc?

I just used one thats similar to the Supercheap one to put the gearbox back in my 1960 356B. It made the job a doddle. I've used it to remove aircooled engines and its very low profile so can get the engine down low so you can get it out without having the car jacked up too high. For the money its a great tool.

Steve

Uncle, that looks like a great option. More details? Brand, cost, etc?

Here you go. rated to a little less but 500kg's is still going to be more than enough. You can find them on Ebay to if you look.

http://www.gasweld.com.au/535061-toolex

Yes! Details on that fabulous couch too please!!!

It's from inside the house. I had it and the matching 2 single seaters in the mancave while I was sorting out the library they normaly live in. IIRC made ~1910 are almost as new. Cost was stupid but they fit the age of my house. Here they are a xmass a few years ago chilling out. :P

Decorjanpics046.jpg

Here you go. rated to a little less but 500kg's is still going to be more than enough. You can find them on Ebay to if you look.

http://www.gasweld.com.au/535061-toolex

It's from inside the house. I had it and the matching 2 single seaters in the mancave while I was sorting out the library they normaly live in. IIRC made ~1910 are almost as new. Cost was stupid but they fit the age of my house. Here they are a xmass a few years ago chilling out. :P

Decorjanpics046.jpg

Looks too civilised for the Uncle I met in ACT last year.   On closer inspection, I reckon those armrests would be perfect for sitting your aircooled beer mug on. 

I'm always working on mine too,

They are a lot of fun though aren't they.

Italian vs German I guess.

So much fun … every time I start thinking I should get rid of it I take it out for a run and decide not to. Plus it's not really worth anything.

might be worth sussing out some of those surplus stores (and lol at "70cc")

otherwise, anyone have one of these?

Removal_Jack_Adapter1.jpg

These get great reviews over on Pelican, not too expensive (~$175 I think from memory), but I'm guessing the shipping would be exxy.

Looks too civilised for the Uncle I met in ACT last year.   On closer inspection, I reckon those armrests would be perfect for sitting your aircooled beer mug on. 

I have a dark civilised side Harvs. I listen to ABC classic FM on the way to work. I know, I'm a moster.

I have a dark civilised side Harvs. I listen to ABC classic FM on the way to work. I know, I'm a moster.

My wife and I were laughing the other day about the fact that we only watch ABC and SBS now … oh, and ABC2 with the kids, I think it means we're officially old now. I just can't do the commercial stations. 

Archived