1980 FIA Group IV Rally Car

KBGr4

Hi all, as some of you know I have been working towards a (second) debut drive of my car for quite some time.

My project started a couple of years ago with what was then a  fairly straight forward build in mind. Take one  1980 SC (Left hand drive Jap import) and make it into a club / drive car. Sounded simple at the time, after fitting a 3.2 with a late model 915  gearbox the car hit the road and all was good. Wife smiled, rode in the car and everyone was happy!

Yaaay.......

Fate then intervened (sounds better that way) and the car developed a concerning like for oil and a serious smoke issue, in plain English the dam rings would not seat. After much consideration and consternation I decided to pursue a  previous thought  / desire call it what you will and build the car into  a clone of the 1980 FIA Group IV rally cars.

Back in the day when I was competing in rallying here in Australia I would wait to read the latest Autosport or similar publication from Europe to follow the likes of Bernard Beguin or the Almeras brothers in their 911's. Having watched Dean Rainsford in his 911 S in rallies here I always thought it would be amazing to compete in a 911.

Now with the help of Simon Greenwood and his team at Autowerks  Charmhaven I have the chance to do just that, and with my son Karl in the navigators seat.

I will post up some additional photos and details over the next few weeks and hopefully from Targa High Country where we start as car number 149. Even though we are only running in the Thoroughbred class I am sure it will be memorable and a total blast !

post-697-0-28562000-1412412751_thumb.jpg

Out for a run this morning putting more K's on  everything, really feels like a totally different car.

Bumble Hill at Yarramalong is a nice piece of road if you can time it so there's no other traffic going up the hill. Not that I would be rushing of course !

Couple of things to sort out still and might need to go to lighter torsion bars yet as it feels a bit harsh on bumps.

post-697-0-50063000-1412495271_thumb.jpg

post-697-0-27054900-1412495301_thumb.jpg

post-697-0-88693400-1412495348_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for that, had been a bit preoccupied with getting myself and everything organised for Targa High Country which my son Karl and I competed in last weekend. You will have all guessed by now that I'm not the best on the computer (but keep trying).

The Thoroughbred Class was fun but unfortunately under subscribed, with only  five entries of which four started. We had some interesting competition in the Datsun 240Z driven really well by Derek Jones and navigated by Joel Guest, unfortunately they crashed out on the last day. My friend and team mate Brett Dillon's early 1968 911 suffered what looks like to have been a diff failure also on the final day leaving it up to us to keep it all together to the finish. If there's video of the final stage I am sure that we will all get a laugh as I seemingly try to cross the line backwards....but that's another story. Now for some serious development and track time, cause starting any event with just about zero hours is a bit stressful.

Archived