Show off your Car Audio!

Pauly

I've noticed a few here are into Car Audio into some lengths. 

Show off what you have, or have made. Keep it to your car(s) only, even if it's not a P-car. 

Put a small description (ie SQ build or keeping it visually factory) and list your equipment followed by pictures. 

Description: SQ build, trying to keep it factory looking with some compromisations.

Headunit: Eclipse DC5030 (by fujitsu ten)

Speakers: Front - Sound Stream Tarantula 4x6. Rear - Eclipse 4x6 (both with silk dome tweeters)

Subwoofer: Sound Storm 10" 4 ohm DVC in a sealed box. 
Amplifiers: 2x Audio line AL300.2 (2x75w rms or there abouts @ 4ohms)

1 amp is bridged into a single channel feeding the subwoofer around 300w rms @ 2 ohms

the other amp is powering the front and rear speakers as a left and right. 

I use to have a kicker 4 chan powering 4 speakers, but that got water damaged (don't ask how)

The amps i've had for probably 10 years which i used for a project (fully sick bike trailer with subs.. not a joke) and the sub i bought for $20 at strathfield because i was curious on how it would sound which turned out to be not bad at all hence why i'm using it.

The amps actually sounded pretty good for the given brand so for the time being, they'll do. 

I will be upgrading the amps to a 5 channel and will be upgrading the subwoofer to something else. 

Why a 10" and not a usual 12"? bigger is not better ;) i have a few decent 12" laying around but i wouldn't get the punch i get from the 10" and the box would be to small for the 12 in the given location. 

Pictures: 

So this isn't the cleanest install. I've left it like this because the amps are temporary and so is the sub. Box is staying though. 

Headunit. I love the look of this one. It's not so in your face. the red illumination goes with the interior. But bought it mostly because of the features.  

IMG_5318.jpg

Front stage. I wanted to keep this stock looking, But i couldn't as a 4x6" speaker are hard to find. You can get cheap $50 ones that i can use the factory plate over but they sound crap... 

IMG_5323.jpg

Boot, needs a vacuum... where is all this audio?!

IMG_5324.jpg

Hidden!!! Wires are just tucked, because when i get a new amp, I don't know how it'll be placed, but it will only be one 5 channel amp. They're doing the job okay. 

IMG_5325.jpg

Subwoofer. 

IMG_5328.jpg

Back to Pauly's topic for this thread. Pauly if you are ever in my town I would love to get some tips on radio installment... Tried the other day and an epic fail... As my kids would say.

Wiring a headunit is quite easy. 

All you need to figure out is your constant 12v and ignition wires. (multi metre for the power) Then figure out your speakers. usually easy as they're pared with colours and don't have power to them. 

I usually use a 1.5v battery to find the speaker wires. If you put 1 wire on 1 side of the battery and the other wire on the other side of the battery, you'll head a 'pop' sound when you touch the battery with the wire which means those 2 wires are for the speakers. if you don't hear a pop, you've got the wrong wires and keep trying until you find all the speaker wires. 

Any advice on what speakers to use? I bought some Response ones for the back and I hate them. They clip badly and have very little bass.  Not sure if it's the speakers themselves or the lack of amp.

Response speakers. They're suppose to be quite good. Which model & What is the RMS on them? Most likely not enough power. 

Assuming you've got these?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CS2402&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1027#4

75w RMS which means you need minimum 75W to run these speakers. Which shouldn't be ran of a standard headunit for quality sound.

pick up this amplifier http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0450&CATID=88&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1028#4 and she should sound good!

My tip on what i would do. 

Amp does in your front boot (what ever you call it) 

Mount it on something out of the way neatly. Run the Remote, RCAs and your speaker cables from the headunit to the amp. Then connect the Remote to the headunit and the speaker wires from the amp to the speakers as you'd connect them to the head unit. 

I'd say give them a chance and get them a decent amp...

It's actually safer to have an amp that has more power (RMS) than the speaker is rated at.  Why?  If the power source 'maxes out', then the speaker can potentially receive a 'flat' signal. The speaker will just extend the driver for an extended period of time, which can damage the driver.

Also, if you have cross-overs you can control, then you can prevent potentially damaging frequency ranges going to those speakers.  That's why splits are so good.

Any advice on what speakers to use? I bought some Response ones for the back and I hate them. They clip badly and have very little bass.  Not sure if it's the speakers themselves or the lack of amp.

That's the ones.

Funnily enough, I bought that amp and haven't had time to install it (also haven't worked out WHERE to install it!)

I have an amp in my 'frunk'...it' under the carpet - dosen't seem to get that hot because I don't have the stereo on that much! :P

My tip on what i would do. 

Amp does in your front boot (what ever you call it) 

Mount it on something out of the way neatly. Run the Remote, RCAs and your speaker cables from the headunit to the amp. Then connect the Remote to the headunit and the speaker wires from the amp to the speakers as you'd connect them to the head unit. 

I fitted an Alpine INA-W900E double DIN screen with Sat Nav, bluetooth, rev camera, DVD, etc, with it's seperate processor(PXA-H100).

11212_10200433718787082_1112920342_n.jpg

Splash screen shot

196862_1920194406116_5970561_n.jpg?oh=00

I run the same speakers up front (soundstream 4x6) as Pauly but added the door pod from the later 10 speaker system and have an MTX Black Gold 5.25" in there

534123_4840029400166_890939551_n.jpg?oh=

425456_4961391674147_586226084_n.jpg?oh=

I am not sure what rears are in there but am not using them anyway.

I power the front and sub/6x9 bass set up with an Alpine V12 Asymmetric amp. 2 x 125 RMS W to fronts and 1 x 500RMS W to sub/bass set up.

207217_2009435117078_6348626_n.jpg?oh=67

This is my sub bass set up

1003816_10202098095755466_813198265_n.jp

It has 4 Digital Design 6x9 drivers, each rated at 250 RMS, in a ported box. This puts out an impressive amount of Sub bass with out a subwoofer.

I also have this custom box that I can fit for track days/SMTs if I want

216171_2018686548358_6889677_n.jpg?oh=00

It sounds OK

Thanks Bruce,

Great job & very inspiring. I don't think I am as talented as yourself but it has given me some ideas.

Very impressed with the carbon fibre though........

I will see what I can come up with & thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers

Dean.

Dean, I have been doing this for years but it really isn't that hard. MDF FG and auto filler are all easy to use and if you get it wrong you can sand it ,add more FG to it or add more filler and then sand it like crazy lol. A good trick to keep the cost of the CF over lay down is to add black pigment to the tack layer before you lay it down. This means any gaps in weave wont be seen. This is a lot cheaper than using 2 layers.

189798_1899236922192_6263515_n.jpg?oh=15

Archived