Show off your Car Audio!

Pauly

That's the ones.

Funnily enough, I bought that amp and haven't had time to install it (also haven't worked out WHERE to install it!)

An idea for locating your amp. in a 911.   There is some space behind the passenger side floor board.  This where my car had the antenna signal amp. fitted by the factory.   It's discreet, low down in the car, out of the way and easy to access for routing wires.  

• 3 weeks later...

My system had already been covered in my 996 thread but I thought I'd add it in here for future reference.

So I've got the Alpine IVA-W554ABT. This is a great value for money unit. It retails for about $650, I picked it up for $550 and I've seen it on sale at JB for $450. It's a 6.1" touch screen that has everything you'd expect other than sat nav. It includes the Pandora app and has phone controls including syncing your phone contacts. It has plenty of fine tuning for the audiophiles including crossover control, time delay and parametric equalizer. The time delay is calculated by the machine automatically once you plug in various attributes of your car and stereo system. Quite clever and works well. The parametric equalizer allows you to fine tune the sound to exactly the way you like it which is excellent. It has a bunch of presets like Rock, Jazz, Electric etc but I find I'm never happy with these on any system. The crossover control is excellent also. I have the speakers on flat but I've been able to fine tune the subwoofer frequency to suit both the car and the box which is too small for the sub.

15662104485_f3b0b3179c_z.jpgIMG_2993 by Simonk76, on Flickr

Navigation is taken care of with the iPhone 5 which sits in a Clic-on cradle. These work well as there's no drilling into the dash to mount it. The nav works great and you also get voice directions, as long as you're listening to some music. 

The not so pretty subwoofer box. This is about as big as I could make it as it has to fit between the child seat anchor points and not block the rear vision. It works quite well with no farting noises. The bass does reveal the rattles in the car, particularly the roof liner and sunroof but I've fixed most of them. The subwoofer is a 12" Kenwood 750w I bought maybe 12 years ago. It's hardly cutting edge but it does the job.

15638368506_98ffb2c7af_z.jpgIMG_2990 by Simonk76, on Flickr

15087523878_25617d6687_z.jpgIMG_3753 by Simonk76, on Flickr

I'm running Alpine Type R 5 1/4" speakers in the front with no speakers in the rear. These are quite good but can't match the bass reproduction of my 6.5" Type X. Mid and high frequencies sound excellent though and the sub takes care of the lower frequencies.

15476646170_60ced85a88_o.pngspr_50c by Simonk76, on Flickr

The front speakers are powered by a Kenwood 4x60 amp and the sub is powered by a Kenwood 2x75 amp. These are bargain basement amps but do the job well enough for my purposes. These sit on the floor in the frunk and are covered by a false floor.

15087506068_b2fa191af4.jpgIMG_3759 by Simonk76, on Flickr

15251111376_0b309570c8.jpgIMG_3758 by Simonk76, on Flickr

All up, it's a relatively inexpensive system but still produces a fantastic sound.

• 4 months later...

Archived