Stamp duty expert in ACT required

Simonoz

Can any PFA'ers please advise whether transfer stamp duty needs to be paid on the acquistion of a Rally registered vehicle in the ACT? I cant establish the answer from the web site. In WA we don't pay transfer stamp duty on Rally registration but this one is licensed in the ACT.

Do you want to keep the vehicle in the ACT?

If you dont, & want to move it interstate - well I presume that the present owner just "unregisters" the vehicle and it is then moved on to you and then you commence your local formalities (in WA??)

This is what happens in Vic for "Classic" 25+ yo cars. Registration for these is really just a special permit which is non-transferrable due to the club based focus of the permit scheme.

ACT address required

Full rego Costs

Full stamp Duty 3%

and cannot be transferred without a comprehensive check. Jon Waterhouse Reliance Automotive or Bates automotive would be good for needed check

WA certainly isn't. We've got the highest transfer duties in the world here.

Not wrong, I initially transferred the 964's rego in WA - cost me an extra $1000+ in stamp duty over VIC. Why? 

The only positive was that I didn't have to get a roadworthy but I was still pretty surprised at the cost, considering I had accounted for it to be similar to VIC stamps. VIC doesn't seem so bad in comparison. 

I don't want to seem ignorant or anything, but being from WA, why are you talking about transferring it to ACT /VIC rego?

I thought that if you take a vehicle from one state to another, stamp duty isn't payable .... which would theoretically mean that no duty would be payable from ACT to WA?

Also thought rego isn't possible without residing in the state .....

Well, if you are buying a car in the east, ie the ACT, which I am looking at doing, and given the heinous amount the WA government want to charge, then any chance to legally pay less makes sense. For many years, I have held a Victorian client number with Vicroads, which allows me to transfer cars in Victoria and pay the lesser duty there. Ive often held cars and motorcycles in Victoria for use there.

In this case, the stamp duty if paid in WA would exceed $6,000. As the car will stay in Victoria for competition use, it makes sense to permit it there at virtually no cost. Eventually, it will head to WA, and be put on to Rally registration here. WA is looking to drop the stamp duty and licence cost in line with Victoria, but given its been six years since that was announced, with nothing happening, I doubt it will happen in my lifetime. Ive got a nice letter from Vicroads confirming the situation, so Victoria here we come, with $6,000 towards the next event or two.

Thanks for that.

As per my quiery above though, I thought stamp duty was only payable if it stays in the same state. I was under the impression that no stamp duty was payable if the vehicle is bought in one state and taken to another.

I understand that you want it to stay in VIC for racing, but is duty actually payable as it's changing states?

BTW, I'm for anything that reduces the amount payable to ANY state......

As Kerry Packer once famously said ....

"They're not doing such a great job with it that I should pay more ...."

Stamp duty is payable on road registered cars in each state, upon transfer, however for rally or concessionally licensed cars that may or may not be the case. So....

If the car is rally registered in the ACT, and goes to a new rally permit in Victoria, then no stamp duty is payable in Victoria. Big win.

If the car is rally registered in the ACT, then taken to WA, then full stamp duty as if it were fully road registered is payable in WA. Total loss.

If the car stayed in the ACT, and transferred there, then full ACT stamp duty is payable. Smaller loss, but still a loss.

Basically, the thieving swines have snuck in a system to tax rally registered cars as if they were fully licensed. You get none of the joys of registration, just the tax, except in Victoria. Im not familiar with the other states as I don't need to research them, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Archived