It Arrived !

• 3 weeks later...

Persian - it popped up in a Manheim auction over in WA and I jumped on it on price alone. I'd been looking for over a year for a 'do'er upper' but have been really lucky with this one. 

From time to time, 911's come up through the auction houses and you'd be surprised how often they are incorrectly advertised. I was once looking at an SC in Bris that had been labelled as a 996 - it sold for $10,200 (but had suspected structural damage) and even my car was wrongly advertised as a Targa... Sometimes perfectly good cars pop up in the salvage auctions too but you have to be very careful, there's no recourse at any auction but you could be buying something that can't be registered. 

• 1 month later...

The car's been in at the panel shop since last Thursday to repair the rear flares but work could only commence yesterday. Not sure why I'm posting this except in disbelief at how much fibreglass had been built up over the original panel to accommodate the truly horrific 10 inch wide wheels. 

Its a poor shot but what you're looking at is a 3 inch deep fibreglass hole, built up over the original panel barely visible at the centre. With that sort of panel 'extension', even more fibreglass was required to blend the flare with the panel further up towards the rear window.  The method to bring it all back is to simply belt sand the fibreglass off, then re-paint. Hopefully nothing more! 

0BC1916E-4319-4CF3-8D68-D461632A91B8_zps

You should see the hole in the flesh! Looks like the car was made from a gobb-stopper and someone took a huge bite. 

Yet to make the call on the full respray. Probably not given that colour matching should be very straight forward. If I was, I'd consider taking it back to the original copper brown, but that'd be a new world of cost that I'm not prepared for yet. 

More progress over the weekend but it's slow moving. All the dust coming off the sanding is preventing a solid go of it but today I was able to see the fruits of my girls bottom tuck. 

before:

DSCF4291_zpsvgr662rx.jpg

After:

DSCF4356_zpsmi2y7tf9.jpg

DSCF4355_zpsizbhyahs.jpg

It's going to be a race to get the other side done, and both prepped/painted before c&c this weekend but that's the goal. Loving her new bottom though and might even take the new fuchs down for a trial fitting over the next day or two - there's no way I'll be able to drive it with the current monsters on there. 

• 3 weeks later...

I plan to but I'm 'between laptops' at the moment... the last one packed it in after base jumping from my wifes clutches onto the tiled floor.

Hopefully get a new one sorted later this week to finish off the thread

• 4 weeks later...

Had time today to give the car a quick wash and post the mostly-finished work following the flare nip-tuck, interior re-do and the engine overhaul (part 1). 

DSCF4418_zpsidhdoxjp.jpg

DSCF4416_zpsnhgcvguv.jpg

DSCF4422_zpsgm34l8wz.jpg

DSCF4424_zps1oyn5gws.jpg

DSCF4420_zpslx9s3zar.jpg

DSCF4415_zpsl8kkzuvz.jpg

There's still a few jobs including another engine drop to repair a cam housing leak I over looked but currently my preference is to drive the thing. Will also take a look at the front suspension bushings, some seat stitching as well as clean up the wiring which still has a couple of gremlins but all in good time. 

No unfortunately the leak is much deeper. Between the cam housings and the heads. They're sealed using loctite 574 (or three-bond etc) and mine must've eroded while the housings/heads were being electro-sonically cleaned as one piece despite the technician telling me the sealant would remain...  My own fault, while it was all apart I should've just re-sealed it but wanted to get the car back together quicker.

Archived