It Arrived !

So after a nervous two weeks wait following my decision to buy a 78' 911sc sight unseen from a Perth auction house (while I live in QLD), it finally arrived. 

Thankfully the good news certainly outweighs the bad and while many of you will think I was a bit daft buying sight unseen (and I was but it's in my genes) it was cheap enough to warrant the risks.

So the good is that the engine pulls like something that does a lot of pulling, doesn't smoke in any way and sounds like it should. It's getting a full going over today but aside from a little oil weeping from a few of the usual locations (valve covers, cam tensioner oil cables etc ) and the fact that its a bit grubby, it is quite fantastic. I am expecting a few broken head studs but there's no evidence of them ....yet. 

There's also no rust except for some minor surface rust on the LHD torsion bar mount which I'll dispatch shortly. Its a UK import but was brought over to Perth in 1988 so there shouldn't be too much hiding beyond that.

Paint is ok (black respray over guards red over original copper brown), the interior beside the utterly horrendous front seats is tired but has potential so overall the car is a pretty good package.

The bad is that the rear wheels aren't fuchs and look like they were made in someones back yard, the guards have been rolled, a/c has been removed, the electrics are a bit of a birds nest (power window fuse shorts as soon as you get near the box with a replacement!), flat battery, front seats and possibly the most upsetting negative, the original tool kit was not included....

Here's some basic photos before I can get some better light out of the garage, will post later.

347D0B81-4974-4B56-91F8-5DE8B7418E1B_zps

D7F13CB9-7E0F-4F1D-9DB3-F6E4B9F574C6_zps

78SCCurrentInterior_zps6dbe5608.jpg

Thanks Tit and Dreamr, the original intention was to hotrod and perhaps backdate but I'm now thinking of taking it back to originality with a few minor tweaks to suspension, exhaust etc. famous last words!

This car is my 'goal' at least for now:

43232517-4CBD-4DD1-A051-F66FE905397E_zps

Nice car! Got some nice dish on the rears too. will we see you at the next Cars & Coffee?

There is a tech day this sunday if you want to bring it along and put it on a hoist and poke around (plus meet some people)

assuming that you're in SEQ....

Thanks Tit and Dreamr, the original intention was to hotrod and perhaps backdate but I'm now thinking of taking it back to originality with a few minor tweaks to suspension, exhaust etc. famous last words!

This car is my 'goal' at least for now:

43232517-4CBD-4DD1-A051-F66FE905397E_zps

Dusty, congrats, and I like what you're aiming for!

Very nice mate, congrats

Personally, I like backdated cars, but this one (just my opinion) looks great as it is

If it were mine, I'd lower it a tad, then just clean it up inside. Other bits n pieces can be repaired or modified as you drive it.

Its yours now, so enjoy it for what it is. An iconic Porsche 911

Edit!

Hang on a minute. The more I look at these photos makes me wanna say 'Damn dude, that is awesome!'

Who cares about the replica Fuchs, just drive the sucker and enjoy it till the little things annoy you so bad you HAVE TO fix them.

Now get out there and DRIVE IT!! :-)

Thanks for all the comments guys. It's been a hectic day running around trying to get to the bottom of all the issues and I'm pleased to say there's nothing glaring bar the electrical (I'm way out of my depth here but have spare fuses! - yay!) - so far the biggest issue was the rear view mirror falling off the windscreen in my first 5km's driving it! Funny now but back then I had my doubts.

The more I look at the car as it is and the more I speak to 'porsche enthusiast' friends, the more confused I get over what I want it to become... Personally, I like the clean look of early 911's without the whale tail but it's shape is beginning to grow on me. I always loved the polished fuchs but now I'm starting to admire the black centre... One thing is for sure, LeeM your idea of just driving it is well and truly front of my mind and I've already enjoyed a couple of blasts across the Sunshine Coast hinterland.

One true disappointment was finding out that the trim that I cherished and thought to be original:

11B4E975-8EE3-4A15-8D1E-B9A7D19B0107_zps

Was sadly not to be (not sure if the office works staples are visible but I can attest to their use):

578F5F27-094B-4EC2-88CA-DE28766378A4_zps

Flatsix, definitely up for a coffee at the next opportunity and Russ, thanks for the bait but I'll be unable to make it to Brissy this Sunday, otherwise I'd be there for sure.

Congrats Dusty. I felt the same way when I bought mine having a plan on what I was going to do (remove rear wing etc.) but I reckon you should just drive it for the time being and enjoy. Then do bits and pieces over time. Enjoy.

Thanks for all the comments guys. It's been a hectic day running around trying to get to the bottom of all the issues and I'm pleased to say there's nothing glaring bar the electrical (I'm way out of my depth here but have spare fuses! - yay!) - so far the biggest issue was the rear view mirror falling off the windscreen in my first 5km's driving it! Funny now but back then I had my doubts.

The more I look at the car as it is and the more I speak to 'porsche enthusiast' friends, the more confused I get over what I want it to become... Personally, I like the clean look of early 911's without the whale tail but it's shape is beginning to grow on me. I always loved the polished fuchs but now I'm starting to admire the black centre... One thing is for sure, LeeM your idea of just driving it is well and truly front of my mind and I've already enjoyed a couple of blasts across the Sunshine Coast hinterland.

One true disappointment was finding out that the trim that I cherished and thought to be original:

11B4E975-8EE3-4A15-8D1E-B9A7D19B0107_zps

Was sadly not to be (not sure if the office works staples are visible but I can attest to their use):

578F5F27-094B-4EC2-88CA-DE28766378A4_zps

Flatsix, definitely up for a coffee at the next opportunity and Russ, thanks for the bait but I'll be unable to make it to Brissy this Sunday, otherwise I'd be there for sure.

Cars and Coffee is on the 1st of next month so hope to see you there.

I agree with Lee on getting in and driving before you make major changes

Hi Coastr,

I'm in Kawana Island - Only just figured out how to change my location... 

Havent seen many 911'sup here except for a few 996-997's. Will have to keep an eye out for your SC as well!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been busy on the car over the past little while and wasn't sure where to post my progress so thought I'd come back here.

To date I've done the following work: Oil change, valve adjust, gear shaft coupler adjust, added new battery, sorted out the electric window shorting, re-dyed the entire interior including new front seats, refurbished the door cards, installed matching front speakers, removed all window trim to polish it back to the original aluminium which now matches the front and rear windscreen, various body panel tweaks, installed and horribly home painted a new rear deck (will keep the whale tail) as well as a few other odds and ends.

After all that I finally had a chance to wash it for the first time and here's the result to date:

DSCF3945_zps67dc4338.jpg

DSCF3946_zps641e33cf.jpg

Forgive the dodgy paint on the decklid, it's temporary

DSCF3947_zpsb9f8ff4a.jpg

interior before speakers and door cards were installed/refurb'd

DSCF3949_zps1ca6d885.jpg

To date it's been excellent fun, I've been working slowly through the to do list but I also find myself being torn - happy whilst doing the work but then unhappy cause its then off the road!! 

Overall the cars condition has been excellent. Whilst it's a uk delivered car, it was brought over to Perth in the late 80's so I haven't found a spec of rust even after I'd pulled the rear windows and inspected the sills. Certainly dodged a bullet there as the car was bought sight unseen. 

The only downside is the broken heads studs that I suspected but had confirmed during the valve adjust. I'm still choosing to drive it as none of the broken studs are on the outer cylinders but I'm very gentle and come Christmas, will be dropping the engine to repair. Good times ahead!

Still on the job sheet: head studs - possible head refurb but believe this has been done recently, panel beat rear wheel arches back to original spec, refurb and install new fuchs to replace rear 'whatever they are' wheels, potentially drop the ride height a little, tidy up the fuse box - it's a birds nest, find a new stereo head unit in keeping with car and cut off the canon tip exhaust.

Keen to get down to this weekend's coffee and cars but will be doing daddy day care and haven't yet fitted a kid throne in the rear... Will see if I can juggle kids seats but mum doesn't yet believe the car is safe... 

Archived