Regrettable Sale of 987S. Advice on next car 911 vs Cayman S

Prav

Hey PFA,

Am regrettably having to sell my 2005 987 Box S (if anyone is interested, it's in the forum marketplace) due to investing in a new business.

Aim is to replace my loss with a 2nd hand P car in the near future (ie sometime in 2015)

The advice / opinions I need are on a newer Cayman S vs older 911 Carrera S (nothing earlier than a 2009). I would only ever get a manual. I love the way the Boxster handles but would not mind if it were a little faster. I spent a fortune getting the IMS upgraded to the solution, so anything earlier than a 2009 is out of the question as I want the security of a DFI engine.

Thanks so much.

Prav

Hey PFA,

Am regrettably having to sell my 2005 987 Box S (if anyone is interested, it's in the forum marketplace) due to investing in a new business.

Aim is to replace my loss with a 2nd hand P car in the near future (ie sometime in 2015)

The advice / opinions I need are on a newer Cayman S vs older 911 Carrera S (nothing earlier than a 2009). I would only ever get a manual. I love the way the Boxster handles but would not mind if it were a little faster. I spent a fortune getting the IMS upgraded to the solution, so anything earlier than a 2009 is out of the question as I want the security of a DFI engine.

I'm a little surprised that the IMS is considered a fortune , given the price of a modern Porsche?

3-4k is peanuts really , even us old Porsche lovin' guys who can't salary package their cars know that's the cost of membership of the marque.

When you say the Boxster is slow , you are talking about acceleration I presume? 

What 0-100 figure are you chasing?

A 930 might fit the bill and not depreciate...just something to keep you awake at night  ;)

Fair point Tazzieman re IMS.  It should be considered a cost of admission to the marque ;)

When I say slow, I do mean point-to-point speed. The Box corners like a dream. I imagine a Cayman is even better.  I guess something sub 5s would be in the zone.

I shall look at the 930. Keep the advice coming. Cheers.

I would be having a good look at the 996 Turbo.

Faster than most 930s, cheaper than a good 930 (100k), and far more comfy and usable day to day (air con and all that).

The Twin Turbo have a great engine and you can drive around Australia or to a track day. (no IMS)

Should also cover the need for speed factor.

Word is, the post 2004 996 tt is the better car.

All the best :)

996 Turbo seems pretty close to the mark, Vas.

Especially after a bit of loving.

Any opinions on older 911 Turbo vs newer Cayman S?

Difficult to compare the two as they are very different cars. The simple answer is speed - 996 turbo has it in spades.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s Why The 996 Turbo Is The Best Porsche 911 You Can Buy

According to Doug DeMuro

(these are not my words)

http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-996-turbo-is-the-best-porsche-911-you-ca-1665776219

Jim,

You've sold me on the idea......now you'll probably hear Mrs BBC's reaction at your home tonight (all the way from my home)

Archived