Turbo tierod replacement

Stew F

There is also the Mitch Leland nylon bush the can be purchased from Pelican and works in the same way as the 928 bush.  Easy to install, easily removable and no risk of wear to the steering column from metal to metal contact.

this is what i used, works perfect.

the metal one i had in there previously was not quite right.

By a wobbly steering column, do you mean the whole steering wheel is moveable or that there's a bit of play between the steering column and the tyres?

I hadn't heard of this one, have a bit of play from the steering wheel to the tyres so assumed the tie rods was the best repair. Keen to hear if this 928 bush is better option though.

My SC has same issue. Just had plastic bush turn up in this mornings post from "just James". Will let you know the result, hopefully this weekend. Good excuse for new Momo Protopito as well. You know "while the steering wheel is off"

Good stuff stew

Reckon they'd be interest in your string alignment

BTW posted this before you can buy the thin spanner its called a 't stem tool' used on motorbikes Amazon have them for a couple of different prices, though think the tool is the same same

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Tools-T-Stem-Wrench-KAWASAKI/dp/B0064V6EQ8

My SC has same issue. Just had plastic bush turn up in this mornings post from "just James". Will let you know the result, hopefully this weekend. Good excuse for new Momo Protopito as well. You know "while the steering wheel is off"

Ended up with 928 style metal bush from just James, makes sense as the bearing that rotates not the bush so should be no potential wear issues.

Easy steering wheel removal, circlip removal, removed remnants of plastic bush and quick clean up. Metal bush push on quite easily with alloy tube correct size, light tap to drive home. Steering wheel re-installed. Bought a Velo suede s-wheel to replace standard, beautiful wheel a lot cheaper than Momo and will match seats planing on shortly.Now just awaiting boss.

No play noises etc very satisfying and easy job........ Caramelo Koala earnt, thanks James.

I've ordered a bush from autohaus as well. I emailed pp and it was just over $60 for theirs, including delivery (but no caramello koala) Looking forward to receiving my chocolate marsupial.

Just went to fit the new bush from Justjames. Well, it's not the bush that's causing the noise. The original one is still good as gold. I think it might be in the rack. The noise and clunk is transferring up the shaft to the intermediate steering shaft. I'll have to get it up on a hoist. Sounds like a rack out job. Could be a crook bearing in the rack.

• 3 weeks later...

Stew,

Before you start pulling things apart, suggest that you check the clamps on the universal joints are tight as if the clamps are loose on the splines they will give a clunking noise too.

Had a loose one on my 993.

funny you mention the rack I was thinking when I was looking at your pics why wouldnt he just pull out the rack while he is doing this and makes sure its all done...

I was going to pull the rack out originally.  It would make the whole tierod install a lot easier.  But I got inspired, and I didn't have access to the hoist.

Stew,

Before you start pulling things apart, suggest that you check the clamps on the universal joints are tight as if the clamps are loose on the splines they will give a clunking noise too.

Had a loose one on my 993.

When driving it all feels secure. There's no clunking in the steering generally -  Its just when turning the wheel a little when the car is stationary.  Well that's when you can hear and feel it anyway.  However, I will check the uni's again before I take things apart. 

• 1 month later...

I just installed the turbo tie-rods myself using Stew F's excellent guide - All went swimmingly except I found securing the inner boots to the steering rack to be the biggest pain.

After a quick wheel alignment at the local shop  (fronts were out by -27.5mm and -30.4mm left to right...! apparently I can't take measurements) it handles brilliantly! Much more direct feel, absolutely no play in the wheel and the last occasional rattle has disappeared from the car. Looking at the old tie-rods, they were well and truly knackered.

Archived