Thinking about an R36...

smule

Both my brother and neighbour have R36 wagons with DSG and love em - neither have missed a beat.

My only gripe is the suspension is quite harsh. A combination of run flat tyres and the fact that neither have the optional adjustable suspension. 

R36 is great. I have had it since 2008 new, and had almost no issues.

Fast, comfortable, reliable and a hoot to drive.

Only issue has been the electric parking brake which is intermittently failing.

Would I buy another one. Yes.

The only bad issue is the low front lip. It gets caught on many driveways. Especially when my 18yo was driving.

Very happy.

Also getting my T today I hope.

No dag issues ever. Needs a lot of revs going backwards up a hill, bit I think that is common with dsg..

Only driven the wagon with spirit......only been a passenger in sedan driven by my ex accountant, so can't say anything for sure.

PS....I got my T today....at Queensland roads now getting it registered.

I thought you meant r36 GTR for a second (see motor mag this month...!)

My business partner bought a passat r36 new (wagon) maybe 2009 and I bought a mk6 GTI at the same time. Both DSG. R36 was quoted at 5.8 0-100 compared to GTi 6.9 but time after time we drag raced those things and they were virtually dead even. Driving he r36 it never really felt sub 6s fast. Probably VW fudging the numbers. Both mid 6s I reckon.

nice car nonetheless. Fast enough in a subtle way - not a sharp racy thing and quite stiffly sprung. Sounded great. We had several VWs all DSG, great gearboxes and in our case, no issues with them.

The R36 was my "other" choice when I got our V60 last year. The only thing that stopped me was that they ended the model in 2009 and was getting a little old for me.

Besides, the Volvo was similar money and still had warranty and still went just as hard.

PS....I got my T today....at Queensland roads now getting it registered.

Hey Chris, I have been a bit slow off the mark, well done and congrats on the new addition. Looks good.

Just following up, I got into the R36 to drive it after driving the 911T for the last couple of days.   At the first corner, I pressed the brake pedal and almost flew threw the windscreen.  The brakes in the R36 are GOOD.  Really GOOD.   So GOOD, that it always takes me by surprise when I get back in.

Is that a VW thing? My mk6 gti is like that...

Just following up, I got into the R36 to drive it after driving the 911T for the last couple of days. At the first corner, I pressed the brake pedal and almost flew threw the windscreen. The brakes in the R36 are GOOD. Really GOOD. So GOOD, that it always takes me by surprise when I get back in.

Archived