987 CAYMAN S SOLD 51 K

Nice looking car and looked after by Autohaus. Enquired on this one, but got no response. Ended up getting one from Melbourne with 67k on the clock with a full Porsche history for not much more.

IMS issues on the M97 engine are very few and far between. Much more so on Boxsters and 911s with M96.

Did a fair amount of homework on Caymans before I dropped some coin on one, so happy to answer any questions on them.

Cheers

Woz

G'day Woz, so it was an S you ended up with?          (Going by your avatar it is an S...  and a very nice S it is too)

I hadn't seen an S down at that price before.  

I'm assuming yours was a private sale not a dealer.

Big question.   What do you think of it?

G'day Niko. Didn't drive a base model (2.7 for that year) but I knew I'd always be thinking "dammit" whenever I saw an S on the road!

Mine was actually at a dealer, although before anyone asks, it wasn't the Melbourne operation that threatened one of the PFA'ers on here with violence (see my post on "Anyone Know This Dealer)" and was advertised in the high $50's. Got him down a bit on some minor cosmetic flaws. He accepted my offer and then came through with the service receipts (ordered from Porsche Melbourne)....luckily he didn't get them earlier as they showed a recent major service (drivebelt). A new clutch and flywheel and new brakes. Price wouldve stayed where he wanted it, I'm sure!

I love it. It's actually my first Porsche. Had a Lotus Exige and Alfa GTA before this and I've made the right choice.

Went in with eyes wide open, expecting (and getting) a few build quality question marks - Minor interior wear and tear. But it's a peach of a car and very Jekyll and Hyde in its nature. Below 4000rpms, it's pretty refined but after that it howls like a banshee!. All the while with the echo of that flat six. Love it

Now I've seen Autohaus are putting a 4.0 in a Cayman S, so that's my upgrade path for the future sorted!

No worries JV, and can I be the 4 thousandth person to say congrats on your 964. It's a hero car as far as I'm concerned. One of those "Hmmm... one day" kind of cars for me.

Yep, my one is a 2006, so one of the first. The facelift got a DFI engine and a power bump, and therefore no IMS issues. They also get LED running lights, and LED rear lights.

The price difference between the gen 2's ('09 onwards) and the gen 1 (06-'07 is pretty substantial. Less so for '08 model (still a gen 1).  I've seen very nice '08's for sale with low km's but with too high asking prices as they are priced close to the gen 2. They hang around for months, and show that Caymans are still on the way down. These were $150k cars brand new, and way more than that with your typical Porsche options list.

Rarity should help them in years to come, but that's a long way off I think.  

G'day Niko. Didn't drive a base model (2.7 for that year) but I knew I'd always be thinking "dammit" whenever I saw an S on the road!

Mine was actually at a dealer, although before anyone asks, it wasn't the Melbourne operation that threatened one of the PFA'ers on here with violence (see my post on "Anyone Know This Dealer)" and was advertised in the high $50's. Got him down a bit on some minor cosmetic flaws. He accepted my offer and then came through with the service receipts (ordered from Porsche Melbourne)....luckily he didn't get them earlier as they showed a recent major service (drivebelt). A new clutch and flywheel and new brakes. Price wouldve stayed where he wanted it, I'm sure!

Went in with eyes wide open, expecting (and getting) a few build quality question marks - Minor interior wear and tear. But it's a peach of a car and very Jekyll and Hyde in its nature. Below 4000rpms, it's pretty refined but after that it howls like a banshee!. All the while with the echo of that flat six. Love it

Agree 100 piss ant on the non S and an S.   I would be the same. :)

Looks like you have done really well especially through a dealer.  

I bet he was kicking himself when he got the latest service parts replacements, paperwork.   Win a few lose a few...

Argh "howls like a banshee"   nice......I like that. :lol:

Thanks for sharing that....good story..!  

I will keep looking.....looking..... .looking.... B)

I would love one too, but there's two things stopping me:

- I fall back in love with the mini every time I drive it.

- I can't get a mountain bike in a Cayman :(

Thanks for the kind words and thanks again for the intel

I see a Cayman in my future :)

Sure. But sometimes I go to work with the bike in the car all day then go for a post-work blat.

Roadie....pffft.. :P

That's the one thing with Canberra - you have some great local MTB! (sorry for being OT)

HOW ABOUT THOSE CAYMAN'S....................WOW!  :)

I wish I still had my Cayman S.....

They are a sensational car... and with a free flowing muffler setup, they totally HOWL in the tunnels!

e1cbd3e3-6159-447e-92fe-f36b88476610.gif

STOP IT    STOP IT    STOP IT....

I wish I still had my Cayman S.....

They are a sensational car... and with a free flowing muffler setup, they totally HOWL in the tunnels!

Mike, it was your advice that sold me on the Carnewal exhaust. It's here, and going on the Croc next weekend hopefully

Archived