Like Books?. Like Porsches?...

I just found a book that I've been wanting for ages. It's Paul Frere and Tony Dron's "Porsche 911 Story, The Entire Development History". It can be found on Ebay / Amazon now and then, but usually from the US, and it's not the cheapest book on the subject, or the lightest.

I have to give props to Automoto Bookshop, which is a small shop on level 9 of the Dymocks Building in the middle of Sydney's CBD. They've been around for 30 + years, and I never even heard of them. As small as the shop is, about a third of it seems to be devoted to Porsche books of all types, including a $300 Porsche Museum 50th Anniversay book, a tome on the surviving 917's and almost everything in between.

I wanted to buy Vic Elford's "Porsche High Performance Driving Handbook" (highly recommended, especially for the older 911 owner), which they had in stock. I then remembered the Frere and Dron title and the owner has apparently bought every one he could get from the UK. There they were stacked up on a shelf.

Website is here: www.automotobookshop.com.au

Store is here: Dymocks Building, Level 9, shop 11, 428 George Street, Sydney 2000.

Cheers

Warren

Warren,

Have to agree with your recommendation of Automoto. 

Been eyeing off Classic Racing Engines for some time and they were the cheapest - still the most expensive book I've ever bought! - and was delivered in perfect condition on the second business day after ordering.

They also have an eBay site.

I've been a bit non plused with Vic's book.  You can have it when I finish reading it.  PM me your address. 

Thanks Peter. I saw the ebay store after I'd visited...but I have to say it's nice to browse around an old-school book shop. Especially one that has so many Porsche tomes!.

Appreciate the offer, but I actually bought Vic's book when I was there (2nd edition). After a flick through, I think I can see where you're coming from. I'm a Cayman pilot and there's really not much relevance to the model other than the front cover photo!.

Seems to be a decent book for general car-craft/ control but not quite what I expected. I'll combine it with a few cups of tea and see how I go.

Cheers

Anyone have a copy of Porsche 993: The Essential Companion (by Adrian Streather) they might want to part with?

Sorry, only got the 996 version. Try the book shop link posted above. I just paid less in AUD for "Porsche 911 Story" than I could've got it online.

Anyone have a copy of Porsche 993: The Essential Companion (by Adrian Streather) they might want to part with?

Dragon02,

I don't think it is worth the money - just a big and heavy scrapbook that is surprising amateurish in places - and would suggest as a better alterative is to download the 993 PET parts manual from the Porsche Classic website and the scanned 993 workshop manual that is sometimes available on the web (or pay the 10 bucks for the CD copy from eBay). For any other info, just use Google.

Dragon02,

I don't think it is worth the money - just a big and heavy scrapbook that is surprising amateurish in places - and would suggest as a better alterative is to download the 993 PET parts manual from the Porsche Classic website and the scanned 993 workshop manual that is sometimes available on the web (or pay the 10 bucks for the CD copy from eBay). For any other info, just use Google.

Peter, I tend to agree with what you say.   I also have the PET parts guide which is more useful in fixing the little stuff.

However, my favourite section form that book is in the "diagnostic" section.

It states (from my memory) "Issue : Alarm is sounding.     Cause : Car is being stolen".      Really ?   Do I need to buy a book to know that ?

• 2 weeks later...

Today I acquired a rather substantial collection,  for not very much. Some are quite thick coffee table books. Just as well I have a substantial and thick coffee table  :)

This is what I don't already have. I pretty much have enough to start a library now.

IMO you can't have too many (analog) books.

DSCN4737.jpg

Wow, that's a blast from the past. Ingo Seif's Portrait of a Legend was actually the first Porsche book I ever had.

Got it in 1985 as a birthday present. I liked the cars before that, but I fell for them once I'd got that book. last seen 20-something years ago and possibly in my Dads attic back in the UK!. 

Peter, I tend to agree with what you say.   I also have the PET parts guide which is more useful in fixing the little stuff.

It states (from my memory) "Issue : Alarm is sounding.     Cause : Car is being stolen".      Really ?   Do I need to buy a book to know that ?

the PET available on the Porsche classic site is the 'output' of the actual software. If you find the full version it does all sorts of interesting stuff like parts compatibility and substitution as well as replacement items and service schedules

I'm working on it

Wow, that's a blast from the past. Ingo Seif's Portrait of a Legend was actually the first Porsche book I ever had.

Got it in 1985 as a birthday present. I liked the cars before that, but I fell for them once I'd got that book. last seen 20-something years ago and possibly in my Dads attic back in the UK!. 

I have 2 copies. Could be convinced to part with one...

Peter, I tend to agree with what you say. I also have the PET parts guide which is more useful in fixing the little stuff.

It states (from my memory) "Issue : Alarm is sounding. Cause : Car is being stolen". Really ? Do I need to buy a book to know that ?

I think you guys have missed the point of this book. It's not meant to be a "fix it guide". More of a history to give context to the 911's development over the years hence the title "The 911 STORY"

ps. I hated English lit. at school and here I am voluntarily giving a book review. ;)

Yes harvs , the coffee table books belong on the coffee table ; the parts guides and DIY/factory manuals belong in a dirtier environment.

I have always found that you can't have too many books , for the same reason that we have forums - lots of opinions to choose from.

Cross referencing books is useful as unlike forums , books are generally well researched and not just "I heard from a mate who met a guy at the pub".

Plus there are pictures. Who doesn't like car pictures?

I think you guys have missed the point of this book. It's not meant to be a "fix it guide". More of a history to give context to the 911's development over the years hence the title "The 911 STORY"

Harvs,

BBC and I were actually referring to Adrian Streather's "Porsche 993 - Essential Companion".

I'd actually like to own the "The 911 Story" from the reports I've heard.

"A tribute to the Turbo Carrera" by Karl Ludvigsen is on my shopping list.

This guy and his photographer where given access to the 930 production very early on, prior to the 3.3 Lt cars.

​So unlike all the other 930 books it was not written retrospectively and only focus on the 3 Lt. 

+ 1 for Karl Ludvigsen

Just finished his "Classic Racing Engines" which among many things demonstrated how influential Ferdinand Porsche was with fingers in many pies...or combustion chambers actually through his consultancy work as well!

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Racing-Engines-Development-Performance/dp/1859606490/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423886433&sr=1-1&keywords=karl+ludvigsen+classic+racing+engines

Waiting for his "Corvette - America's Star Spangled Sports Car - 1953 to 1982" to turn up this week for some Zora Arkus-Duntov (who drove for Porsche at Lemans while developing the Corvette from a show pony), Ed Cole, Bill Mitchell and Tony Lapine (who later became Chief Designer at Porsche during the '70's and 80's) action and suspense.

http://www.amazon.com/Corvette-Americas-Star-Spangled-Sports-1953-1982/dp/083761659X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423886679&sr=1-1&keywords=karl+ludvigsen+corvette

Haven't got the Mezger book , yet...

This one?

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Me-Mezger-Peter-Morgan/dp/1906712085/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423895273&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=tobia+mezger

I wouldn't mine borrowing it when you're finished! :rolleyes:

PS:  If you are interested in racing engine development history in motorcycles I can recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Motorcycle-Race-Engines-Technical/dp/1844259943/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1423895842&sr=8-7&keywords=motorcycle+racing+engines

Archived