930 rhd - how many were originally built?

turboT

So after a mix of 'insights' from useful, supportive, congratulatory to, well...patronizing, and a bit of plundering from other forums, this is as near as I have come to an answer. Any help filling in the missing years would be appreciated. I will continue to update as I find out more.

How many RHD Gen 2 930's delivered into OZ?

The answer is hardly that scientific at the moment as I have such little data, but its a start. Based on the table bellow and assuming an average import per year of 41 cars over the 12 years of production - 498

As I now own one I am secretly hoping this figure is actually much lower... or at least there has been many written off, or disastrously 'forward dated.' This figure also seems especially high compared to a claim on a 'Porsche UK' website that less than a 1000 made it to the UK. Hard to believe that Australia would have imported half this figure?

How many RHD Gen 2 930's produced world wide?

There really aren't that many RHD countries in the world and probably less that would have been importing turbos in the 70's/80's. Discounting the couple of countries in south america, India, Pakistan, Africa (excluding south Africa), Thailand, Japan (despite being RHD they seem to only have LHD porches???), Malaysia, Indonesia...

I am left with

UK - 1000 (or less than this)

Australia - 498 (according to my wildly assuming calculation above)

NZ - 50 (absolutely no statistical data to base this on)

South Africa - really?...lets allow them 100

Total - 1648 - or about 9% (you were close caladonian) of total world wide production numbers

That's science, now please get me some better numbers to work with !

930 - australian production numbers 3.0 gen 1           1975 6       1976 14       1977 21                 total 41                 930 - australian production numbers 3.3 gen 2           1978 ?       1979 ?       1980 ?       1981 54 (average divided over 81/82) 1982 54 (average divided over 81/82) 1983 ?       1984 11       1985 47       1986 ?       1987 ?       1988 ?       1989 ?                 total 166      

Gold star goes to Shady Speedway! Nothing like a lot of inaccurate rubbish to bring out the real experts! With the new info average per year imports go down to just under 21, with a total RHD Aussi imports now looking like about 250! Four more years to fill people and we can put the one to rest

Gold star goes to Shady Speedway! Nothing like a lot of inaccurate rubbish to bring out the real experts! With the new info average per year imports go down to just under 21, with a total RHD Aussi imports now looking like about 250! Four more years to fill people and we can put the one to rest

I have no records of them landing here in 86 - 89? There may well have been none.

Total RHD production numbers are pretty much unobtainable? not through lack of trying.  

I have heard from a number of places that in 75, only 15 where RHD out of 283 where built and 6 of them landed here.

one of the 75's just went to America, there is a UK delivered 75 in Australia, but where the others are, nobody really knows?

You're right I had heard that  84/85 was the last official year they were imported into OZ. Everything from then was from the US. So basically from your numbers - 166 is the total. Pretty happy about that. Re world wide - It's not going to be many - 1200-1500?

Have you tried to call PCV (Porsche Centre Victoria)?

That is Porsche Australia's head office and the have a section there that deals with classic Porches.

If you call Harry, he will (if he has the time or inclination) be able to help.

Alot of us have contacted him to get information about our cars:

I found out from him that mine is ......

Aussie delivered ...... matching numbers ..... one of 52 Coupes delivered here in '81 and one of 2 ever delivered here in Bamboo (colour). He also told me it was delivered new in Adelaide.

He has all the information you need and you should find him helpful .......

If only half of the 3L's remain, then a lot of people are cashing in on the boom. As they come up for sale almost on a weekly basis internationally.

Second question would be if only half remain?

How many are left unrestored?

Seems to be a lot of over restored cars out there.

oh - anyone looking for what looks like a good example of an original RHD 930, in my search I found this in NZ. 

http://www.rsconsulting.co.nz/

I had pre-purchase inspection done and all checked out. Less than $60K, but once you pay taxes and transport I figured you would be paying about $70K. Still, original RHD, NZ delivery and no rust..seemed like a good deal.

can share inspection report and photos if you are interested

post-2108-0-13951800-1422689862_thumb.jp

oh - anyone looking for what looks like a good example of an original RHD 930, in my search I found this in NZ. 

http://www.rsconsulting.co.nz/

I had pre-purchase inspection done and all checked out. Less than $60K, but once you pay taxes and transport I figured you would be paying about $70K. Still, original RHD, NZ delivery and no rust..seemed like a good deal.

can share inspection report and photos if you are interested

Nice , and cheap too. 

If it's still there in a couple of months I might call in whilst on hol.

See the 912 below the 930 ad  :)

To avoid time-wasters, tyre kickers and dreamers a “viewing fee” of $100 will be payable in cash prior to access to the car. Happy however to answer any questions.

Weirdly tazzieman this is why i think it is a good find. The guy marketing it has no idea. The car only appears on his personal website, nothing else globally. Crappy pics. Sounds like he primarily sells to a small network of buyers in Auckland. As an original RHD this is a rare car. If you compare it to an 'import here' you still save $20K. In reality it should be compared to an Aussi Original, so you are saving $40K+. The guy currently storing the car checks out as a NZ Porsche expert and he did the pre purchase inspection for me. His contact details:

motorscience Ltd

1/1 Brisbane St.

Grey Lynn.

Auckland. 1021

New Zealand.

ph 64 9 360 7951 fax 64 9 360 7950

www.motorscience.co.nz

• 1 month later...

Aussie delivered or RHD 930 must be worth big $$, Magnas Walker bought one.

Seriously mate, well done on buying one seriously cool car.

Thanks Fraz. It is a seriously cool you are right. I got a good deal. Magus bought a 3litre. Very unpredictable car but a very rare car with only a few thousand made between 75 and 77. I have seen those go for over $200,000 but amazingly a Magnus Walker one sold last October for just over $100,000 (that guy got a good deal) I love the wing on the early 3 litre cars but happy with my relatively younger model!

Archived