A question for the more enlightened among us..

Norm

A number of the drivers are overseas or drivers with limited experience of Bathurst, all of the main game V8 Supercar drivers are precluded from the race as there is a V8 test weekend at Motorsport Park in Sydney.  Outside of the V8 fraternity and old hands like John Bowe and Peter Fitzgerald there are a number of 'new bloods' so presumably its to remind them of the track.  

Additionally It allows the team to specify the gears for particular parts of the circuit to ensure the car sees out the 12 hours.

I have seen it on the steering wheels of some F1 cars as wheel with numbers on corners for the gears:

http://www.formula1.com/wi/gi/597x478/BlDT/sutton/2004/d04aus529.jpg

http://www.farzadsf1gallery.com/image_upload/diapo_033.jpeg

I kind of thought that, but their eyes are plastered to the track and distance, and with the speed of everything going on, no one is going to look at the wheel to see what's coming up.. And as for gears, I thought that's what makes a driver.

Maybe I'm too old school.

LOL. I got a bunch of Kangaroo ballsacks (bottle openers, key-rings etc) sent to me when I was working in Khartoum a few yeas back. Gave them to a few of my colleagues.  Generally, the Indians, Pakistanis and locals were horrified, and the Swedes, Brits and Croats were delighted. :P

Was that off topic?  :ph34r:

Watching the Bathurst 12 hour, I notice some cars have a picture of the track on the centre of the steering wheel. I've also seen this on the Aussie V8 series.

My thought is, really..? Why??

it's basically the equivalent of Nurburgring stickers, but a lot of drivers are putting them on their steering wheels

B)

Archived