Please explain. 

Saudi Arabia. Humane ???

I think I'll take a Bex and a a lie down.

Old post, but seeing as the wrong end of the stick was picked up.

Norway is bursting with oil wealth like Saudi Arabia.

Unlike Saudi, the wealth is not concentrated in the hands of some royals and their kleptocrat buddies. The revenue is shared by the government and lots of it is placed in a sovereign wealth fund. So they have lots of social services and awesome public infrastructure. The trains are first class and you even get served ice cream. So it's like Saudi run by humane people.

Still, all that wealth makes their currency mega strong so as johnny foreigner, you're going to be scrounging for a Big Mac.

As for Norwegian women, I'll leave this :

Norway.jpg

Sorry ladies, didn't want it go searching for Norwegian men now that the guvmt is keeping all our data.

"Chinese buying " is a very dangerous concept if you over-apply it in doing business. People tend to think since China has a large population, if every chinese buy my product, i will be a rich man. Its a tautology that can never be wrong coz you have assumed everyone buy your product. In fact , you can substitute Russian / London property ,  Indian/ Gold with Chinese/ old Porsche , the equation works too. 

In fact , at least at this stage Chinese dont like old cars and they dont have that taste/ sense yet. Of course someday they will be there but before that time those lovely cars are still in hands of Euporean, American , Japanese or Australian. Are you able to predict any country will push the price further? Do you have the figures?

So try not to blame anyone for raising asset price coz its a fair game of capitalism. Money loses purschaing power is the underlying cause. If you have one nice Porsche , Congratulations! enjoy it without thinking too much on pricing. You are driving cars not dollar sign and you can't bring wealth into your grave. If you don't have one and want one, work hard on your ass and learn more here before yours arrive. Porsche is for  every pistonheads no matter you are German, Australian or Chinese.

My two cents.

hey nogarors4 - don't get me wrong. I have nothing against the Chinese - lovely people and i do a lot of business with them. 

Its not even a size of population thing. Its just that they have been artificially excluded from the market. The same could be said if the gorgeous girl above from Norway (and all of her fellow compatriots) had not been allowed to buy P-cars, and then suddenly were. A certain percentage of any population looks to the past for inspiration/excitement, and China is no exception. There are lots of articles about a growing interest in the vintage car market in China, they just can't take them home with them...at the moment.

Prices rise because of demand and availability of product. Basic market principles. Unfortunately our beloved P-cars are becoming fewer and fewer and more and more people are wanting them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anywhere to 'really drive' in Singapore? Whats the point in ownership? Same would go for HongKong. I did hear that Singapore is just an expensive to drive no matter what car you drive because of a very limited number of licences that are available. Highest number of Lambo's sold world wide go to Singapore apparently, so they must have some decent roads I guess.

I would be surprised if the Scandys pay as much as we do for our Porsche's seeing as the factories that produce them are next door

They don't have decent roads as in road where you can truly give these types of cars a run they deserve. They have to drive their cars in Malaysia (if they are brave enough to risk being hijacked and robbed by gangsters). Then again, they do so on major highways with no twisties, the roads with twisties, you wouldn't risk taking their Lambos on - again because they will probably get hijacked or are so full of potholes that their cars wouldn't survive the trip. 

Most of the high end cars in Singapore are for show, their owner don't even exploit one fifth of their potential. 

I'm not so sure the Chinese really do nostalgia and I'm not sure they shift their tastes at a great rate.

Australia's wine industry has been waiting for the Chinese market to save them and it's just not happening.

I could be wrong, but that is my insignificant insight.

French wine in China is a very big thing at the moment. Why aren't we exploiting this... That's the million dollar question.. And with Asia and South East Asia at our door step, and the number of cars on the road, why didn't we exploit that 60 years ago?

I know what you're thinking and I know what the answers are, but in my opinion that defeatist thinking.

In Europe manufacturing of pots and pans turned to arms when the war hit, and then changed again when the war was over. This is foresight, being positive and seizing the opportunity. Those companies and people could never be accused of being backward...

Archived