We are all aware that our precious pieces of German engineering (especially air cooled) have over the last few years increased in value and look set to continue. What is driving this? Well essentially a realization that these cars will never be built again, a sense of nostalgia, and the fact that one in good condition at any price level, is rare. The US economy is growing and with it the collector market. With Europe still in trouble there is still a lot of potential growth there when they eventually turn things around.

But for those of you that are concerned with the current affordability of Vintage cars, you should be aware that the country with the biggest population in the world, the country with more millionaires than the entire population of Australia, the country that is far closer to us than the US. The country called China...

Well officially this country does not allow its citizens to own and use vintage cars! I have spent a lot of time in China on business and have clients who have so much money they could buy the entire ownership of PFA several times over and not really be bothered by the cost. The taste and wants of this wealthy group changes year on year but they have an insatiable habit for all things European. We often sit at dinner drinking wine from France no longer available to the French (they can't afford it) and Visit farmsteads that look like some from of Swiss chalet, with a stable full of lambo's. You can live in entire towns that look like they are from 18th century britain.

Fellow collectors and enthusiasts. If you have ever complained about SC's being $50K, 3.2's reaching $75K, or 930's going for $150K, consider yourselves warned that if China enters this market these values will be long gone.

You have been warned. Get out and buy (now)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/10/18/china-classic-cars/3001091/

We are all aware that our precious pieces of German engineering (especially air cooled) have over the last few years increased in value and look set to continue. What is driving this? Well essentially a realization that these cars will never be built again, a sense of nostalgia, and the fact that one in good condition at any price level, is rare. The US economy is growing and with it the collector market. With Europe still in trouble there is still a lot of potential growth there when they eventually turn things around.

But for those of you that are concerned with the current affordability of Vintage cars, you should be aware that the country with the biggest population in the world, the country with more millionaires than the entire population of Australia, the country that is far closer to us than the US. The country called China...

Well officially this country does not allow its citizens to own and use vintage cars! I have spent a lot of time in China on business and have clients who have so much money they could buy the entire ownership of PFA several times over and not really be bothered by the cost. The taste and wants of this wealthy group changes year on year but they have an insatiable habit for all things European. We often sit at dinner drinking wine from France no longer available to the French (they can't afford it) and Visit farmsteads that look like some from of Swiss chalet, with a stable full of lambo's. You can live in entire towns that look like they are from 18th century britain.

Fellow collectors and enthusiasts. If you have ever complained about SC's being $50K, 3.2's reaching $75K, or 930's going for $150K, consider yourselves warned that if China enters this market these values will be long gone.

You have been warned. Get out and buy (now)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/10/18/china-classic-cars/3001091/

What about a few more stories about this alternative China of which you speak turboT

This is a side that few of us here are exposed too.

What about a few more stories about this alternative China of which you speak turboT

This is a side that few of us here are exposed too.

Big Cities in china average over 20,000,000 people and their is a lot of wealth. A lot of European manufacturers make cars in China, but often only for the Chinese market (I suspect quality is not quite as good). Audi for example make a4's and a6's but non of the RS ranges so if you see an RS5 in Shanghai for example you know the owner the owner is incredibly well connected and rich because they would have paid $250,000 for a car that you could probably buy for $80,000 in the US (import taxes into China are crazy high). If you fly into a city with an car manufacturer like Volkswagen for example it is the weirdest experience where 70 % of all cars you see on the road will be from that manufacturer. A crazy, diverse and extreme place, that I would not exactly recommend (although my experiences have largely been city based), but a population that will definitely drive the value of your Porsche in the future (just look what they are doing to property prices in Sydney). Too much cash, and not enough high quality product too spend it on in China..

I'm not so sure the Chinese really do nostalgia and I'm not sure they shift their tastes at a great rate.

Australia's wine industry has been waiting for the Chinese market to save them and it's just not happening.

I could be wrong, but that is my insignificant insight. 

As a whole population I would agree. But that population is huge and within it are sectors that are just like you and me (who am I kidding - more like Jay Leno). 0.01% of a billion people is still 100,000 extra collectors with more money than we will ever earn in a life time

Surely you've been to Singapore :P.

What about the Scandinavian countries?

Is there anywhere to 'really drive' in Singapore? Whats the point in ownership? Same would go for HongKong. I did hear that Singapore is just an expensive to drive no matter what car you drive because of a very limited number of licences that are available. Highest number of Lambo's sold world wide go to Singapore apparently, so they must have some decent roads I guess.

I would be surprised if the Scandys pay as much as we do for our Porsche's seeing as the factories that produce them are next door

First thing googly found:

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2013/06/04/luxury-car-sales-in-high-gear/

Is there anywhere to 'really drive' in Singapore? Whats the point in ownership? Same would go for HongKong. I did hear that Singapore is just an expensive to drive no matter what car you drive because of a very limited number of licences that are available. Highest number of Lambo's sold world wide go to Singapore apparently, so they must have some decent roads I guess.

I would be surprised if the Scandys pay as much as we do for our Porsche's seeing as the factories that produce them are next door

Norway wants nothing to do with the eu mess. Norway is like Saudi Arabia run by humane people. Oslo has got to be the most expensive city in the world.

It has awesome roads as well, though sometimes interrupted with ferries. Lots of alpine passes, tunnels, highways etc.

Oh, and if you are the best looking person in Australia, you are are about mid-to-low in the pack in Norway.

Seriously worth visiting.

• 1 month later...

Archived