Front engined Porsche article

tazzieman

Peter I wonder who banned the beer in the factory canteen. I can imagine the generation of old Fritz's muttering and threatening to leave. Probably a few were marched out. Back in the early 90s I thought Porsche were done for , but look now they're are returning to their roots with 4 cylinder cars and vehicles with hybrid technology

1.jpg

;P is me winking with my tounge out lol I am in the front engined water cooled *it's not a real Porsche* club too.

Did you know the McLaren F1 used rear lights from a truck for it's rear lights.

Found this one for you Tassie and other friends of the front engined Shark Click here

We suspect that the 928’s failing as a collector car is precisely that it is so modern. Collectors are drawn to rarity and novelty and in that respect, the 928 disappoints.

Cursed by being to sensible?

Thanks!

Again an interesting article but not sure where he got the idea that a 1961-63 Pontiac Tempest "..shared the body shell of the Chevrolet Corvair". A couple Buicks and Oldmobiles but not Corvair.

It is sad that ultimately the 928 did not survive and that it is not as "popular" today amongst enthusiasts as the 911, but then again it gives people (like me) the opportunity to obtain a car that is a true Porsche and goes like one for a fraction of the price of a 911 :)

It is sad that ultimately the 928 did not survive and that it is not as "popular" today amongst enthusiasts as the 911, but then again it gives people (like me) the opportunity to obtain a car that is a true Porsche and goes like one for a fraction of the price of a 911 :)

It had a production run of 17 years.  It only seems short-lived because the 911 has a record-breaking production run (in original 63-98 form).  Compared to most cars, the 928 is an extremely long-lived car.  I guess you mean 'survived' as in 'not replaced'.

It's more that the 356 and the 911 set the public expectation for a porsche silhouette and configuration, and while the 928 isn't a mile from that silhouette, the engine was in the opposite end.   It's the rarity and novelty factor I guess.

Speaking of rarity , when I drive my 911 I get nary a glance ; usually its Asian students or tourists (who would probably never see a classic). Same with the 944 , even though it's dog d**k red. Lots of red sports cars around though.

With the shark it's a show stopper ; literally little kids jump up and down and grab their mothers at street corners; same around my son's school (without so much jumping). Anecdotal I know , but not sure what's going on here. 

One other thing , with the 911 every Tom , Dick & Harry in a WRX or Skyline wants to "have a go" off the lights (& mouth off about my steering wheel on the wrong side). The shark seems to keep them quiet , again I don't know why.

Speaking of rarity , when I drive my 911 I get nary a glance ; usually its Asian students or tourists (who would probably never see a classic). Same with the 944 , even though it's dog d**k red. Lots of red sports cars around though.

With the shark it's a show stopper ; literally little kids jump up and down and grab their mothers at street corners; same around my son's school (without so much jumping). Anecdotal I know , but not sure what's going on here. 

One other thing , with the 911 every Tom , Dick & Harry in a WRX or Skyline wants to "have a go" off the lights (& mouth off about my steering wheel on the wrong side). The shark seems to keep them quiet , again I don't know why.

Well if I ever see you driving around I will be sure to give a big gawk no matter what Porsche you may be in! B)

I will now be on the lookout for a red 944, light blue 928 and what colour is your 911?

• 1 month later...

Archived