Where is the closest, decent drive around Melbourne?

Kerry

Sunday morning drives tend to be a case of driving for an hour until you get to the twisties (and the relative isolation), and then the spirited drive begins...

This often suits Sunday mornings timing, however what about that spare hour or so you've got to take a friend for a blast?! There is only so much that a freeway entrance can to do to fulfill the urge.

Can anyone share a stretch of road that has all the good bits - smooth/twisty/not too populated - and without the bad bits - the constabulary/cameras/joggers/concealed driveways etc etc?

This reminds me of a little section of the Mountain Hwy starting in The Basin...

But surely there must be more from the resources of our membership?!

Kerry

post-2-125565089503_thumb.jpg

Hi Kerry,

Sadly I can't help you out with an answer, but if you ever need a wingman I am only one suburb away and always looking for a reason to go out for a blast.

Doug

Hey Doug,

Its starting to sound like we might need to organise an informal PorscheForum Sunday morning blast and breakfast in a few weeks time eh?

;)

Kerry

Hey Kerry,

Sounds like an offer too good to refuse.

Sunday mornings are good for me as the rest of the household like to sleep in (they're all females).

The next couple of weekends are out, but after that I'm good.

Let's set a date and see if there are any other takers.

Cheers,

Doug

How about the 15th Nov?

Kerry

Hi Kerry and Douglas,

I would be keen to join you both on a Sunday morning spin. I sometimes do an early Sunday morning lap of the mornington Peninsula with no particular route but I include a quick spin up to Arthurs Seat, then the back way to Flinders and then Cape Schanck (dodging Kangaroos). I will keep November 15 open if you guys are going for an informal spin.

Frank

Gents, sounds like the 15th is a date!

I'll post an announcement in the next couple of days, you never know, we might end up with a few...

Frank, you might be showing us the Mornington peninsula I think... the run up Arthurs seat is a blast!

Kerry

Gents, sounds like the 15th is a date!

I'll post an announcement in the next couple of days, you never know, we might end up with a few...

Frank, you might be showing us the Mornington peninsula I think... the run up Arthurs seat is a blast!

Kerry

Hi Kerry and Doug'

I will put together a route in the next few days for a blast around the peninsula. There are quite a few nice stretches and some winding roads also. I will let you know what i come up with. I may even throw in a morning tea stop along the way.

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for volunteering for being the inaugural PorscheForum route maker.

I am not sure if you should publish the route on the forum.

For parents of kids using the internet, PRW on MSN means Parents Are Watching.

On a forum like this P could equally stand for Police.

Not unknown...apparently.

Doug :angry:

Good idea Doug, we can confirm the route via emails...

I have heard of the cops checking out the WRX forum and laying in wait for the Rexs to come around the bend! I think there are actually youtube clips of this!

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Suggest For Drives just have a meeting place every 2 weeks, say 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month 0630am (say in the north McDonalds corner Lower Templestowe corner Manningham Rd and High st). This way it is very informal and the route can be decided on the day. You could have one to the south on 1st and 3rd Sunday and people could turn up subject to what suits them - No Organising Required !

Cheers 9fan.

Cheers 9fan,

At this stage we have three people (4 with you?) confirming interest in the inaugural blast.

Should we end up with heaps of people posting their interest, your idea is excellent. I like the idea of just turning up on a Sunday morning, nice and early, and then working out from there where to go, however... baby steps first I think.

Lets see how many actually sign up, if only by posting their interest, and go from there. Bearing in mind also, there are quite a few Register and Social organised runs throughout the year, although they tend to be more... well.. social in their level of driven commitment...

Over Xmas, with the competition days on hold until the 2010 season, I can imagine we might get a few of those boys looking to burn off the carbon from their pipes as well!

Kerry

Excellent! You're on the list for the 15th Nov. Douglas, Frank964, you and me.

What time is early then?

:)

Kerry

if you meet somewhere central and leave by as close as poss to 7am you tend to avoid

sunday tourists and authority figures. I have done drives with a few different clubs

and the sleepy ones that leave at 9 or 10 o`clock tend to be very frustrating drives

looking forward to some regular runs steve

Hi guys,

7am is good for me.

Kerry and I are bayside so our route down to the Mornington Peninsule will be straight forward.

What about you Steve? Does this info help you out with working out a meeting point?

Doug

Bayside might as well be Mars to me ( i live in the hills) if you city slickers just pick a point

mr. Navman and i will join you

steve

• 2 weeks later...

Fang #1

Riddell->OR Kerrie OR Mt Macedon->Hanging Rock->Newham->Lancefield->Tooborac->Heathcote (Coffee/Wine)->Redesdale->Kyneton->home via Calder Fwy or you can divert to Trentham->Blackwood->Greendale & Western Hwy home.

Kerrie->Hanging Rock is short but absolutely delightful but can be slippery. The Lancefield->Tooborac bit is the best drive. 100kmh all the way - open corners.

Mt Macedon->Hanging Rock->Newham is well known, sometimes cyclists are present. It can be wet.

Fang #2

Leave 6:30 arrive Port Campbell for breakfast about 9-9:30

Melton->Exford->Bacchus Marsh Rd->Corio->Inverleigh->Foxhow->Camperdown->Port Campbell. Return via Great Ocean Rd to Lorne or continue to Anglesea. The traffic can be v.'orrible. Lots of campervans driven by people used to LHD cars refusing let you pass. Otherwise it is a great run.

Andrew

Damn myred911, I know where I'd rather be!!!

Looking forward to hearing a report online and maybe some pics/vids as well?!?!?!

I know, I know, you've probably got to keep your eyes on the road, do you have an onboard video?! For those who have to stay make do with the Sunday Blast, share the loving on your return!

I'd love to have a go at the tarmac thing one day, probably regularity rather than all out racing, but I hear the reg' ain't for the kiddies anyway...

I like those famous words from the man himself, Tarmac Jim, "just drive in the centre of the road, you'll be fine!"

;)

Kerry

Fang #1

Riddell->OR Kerrie OR Mt Macedon->Hanging Rock->Newham->Lancefield->Tooborac->Heathcote (Coffee/Wine)->Redesdale->Kyneton->home via Calder Fwy or you can divert to Trentham->Blackwood->Greendale & Western Hwy home.

Kerrie->Hanging Rock is short but absolutely delightful but can be slippery. The Lancefield->Tooborac bit is the best drive. 100kmh all the way - open corners.

Mt Macedon->Hanging Rock->Newham is well known, sometimes cyclists are present. It can be wet.

Fang #2

Leave 6:30 arrive Port Campbell for breakfast about 9-9:30

Melton->Exford->Bacchus Marsh Rd->Corio->Inverleigh->Foxhow->Camperdown->Port Campbell. Return via Great Ocean Rd to Lorne or continue to Anglesea. The traffic can be v.'orrible. Lots of campervans driven by people used to LHD cars refusing let you pass. Otherwise it is a great run.

Andrew

Thanks for sharing these Andrew, I seem to remember a red911 coming flying past me on the other side of Mt Macedon one afternoon and giving the missus a freakin heartache... wouldn't have been you now would it Andrew/myred911?!

I think we both know the answer to that....

Do some good skids for us in Adelaide!

Kerry

• 3 years later...

Thought I would share this.

Carmine and I went for an early Sunday morning drive a few weeks ago with no particular destination in mind and

ended up at Lake Eildon.

It was absolutely magic, hardly any other cars around and heaps of twisty bits.

Nothing like a last minute decision to do something spontaneous.

Cheers

Jim

ALakeEildon2012-11-17110844.jpg

Archived