Ingenious

GregAx

Reckon it's a phony.

Why, when you could use variable valve timing and lift to do the same and much simpler with no disadvantage from increased reciprocating mass, similar to decompression setups and cylinder deactivation used for decades.

How would the control solenoid be activated? 

Would a Porsche subsidiary really submit hand drawings for a patent?

Smells of a re-treaded 1st of April prank to me....

True, there has been much work on the topic but little have demonstrated a real benefit with the Miller Cycle probably the closest to the mark.  Again using valve timing to manage compression but with the benefits of a longer combustion stroke. 

Still think the original proposal is the work of someone with alfoil wrapped around their head and peanut butter in their undies. 

Titanium 991 gt3 rods had a hard and sometimes unsuccessful time holding together with no moving parts at 9000rpm , that contraption looks like a total recipe for disaster in a high revving application

People love to experiment don't they? Human head transplants coming up next.

Hasn't the internal combustion engine reached its use by date?

Oh wait , America has discovered the world still has plenty of oil. Those frackin' engineers!

variable valve lift and variable cam timing works great. 

having 2 little pistons on a rod like that, i don't see it holding up to power levels performance cars see. I wouldn't use it on my car. I just see it failing and sending a rod though the block. 

The way we're going with direct injection and quench with the piston & head, running 9.5:1 compression ratios on boosted application is normal these days. 

The only issue is peak cylinder pressures from high compression and boost applications can kill engines. 

Archived