Wheels Feb 2002 - 996 vs STI vs M3

Gotta say I'm warming to 996's

I find it interesting to read the tests of the day as the passage of time sometimes distorts reality. The Wheels comparison of the 996 Carrera, BMW M3 and the Subaru WRX STI had a few surprises for me and is a good read:

IMG_20150513_0001_zpszblejzx4.jpg

IMG_20150513_0002_zpsddkau5jn.jpg

IMG_20150513_0003_zpscotn4gz1.jpg

IMG_20150513_0004_zpswei73egj.jpg

IMG_20150513_0005_zpswrkmgrda.jpg

Funny how the E46 M3 is revered but 996s have become the poor cousin of the air cooled 911s. But look at a 996 as a performance car against its contemporary rivals and it takes the prize.

Relative bargain now. Anyone selliing one would do well to point buyers to this feature. Great find!

Funny you mention the prices, I see on Carsales you can buy a M3 for between $25,000 to $38,000.

A bargain compared to a similar vintage 996! Who would have thought....

The M3 was around $50K cheaper when new though...  

And an 02 STI today is about $12K !

Gotta say I'm warming to 996's

Funny how the E46 M3 is revered but 996s have become the poor cousin of the air cooled 911s. But look at a 996 as a performance car against its contemporary rivals and it takes the prize.

Relative bargain now. Anyone selliing one would do well to point buyers to this feature. Great find!

Ok careful now, don't start pushing the prices up on these 996's just yet i'm not quite ready for one. :D

Bang for buck though i can't see too many cars in front of them.

funnily enough my daily is actually a blue 2002 STi!

They're worth a bit more than 12K though, unless you dont mind one with over 200,000 kms. I took it to the track last year while my "track car" was having some work done and was bitterly disappointed. I enjoy the nostalgic look of the bug eye today (bug eye Sti headlights are a much better look than the plain wrx headlights IMO) and its a fun, practical daily.

funnily enough my daily is actually a blue 2002 STi!

They're worth a bit more than 12K though, unless you dont mind one with over 200,000 kms. I took it to the track last year while my "track car" was having some work done and was bitterly disappointed. I enjoy the nostalgic look of the bug eye today (bug eye Sti headlights are a much better look than the plain wrx headlights IMO) and its a fun, practical daily.

Cool!  I kind of still want one as a daily..and yeah, the bugeye copped a grilling in the day, and once the peanut eye came along no one wanted a bugeye, but i agree they have kind of come into their own.  And from behind the steering wheel you can't tell the difference!  They are great value but I kind of like the original GC8 better - in a coupe please!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought 996 carrera as its my first Porsche. When I bought it, I actually didn't know too much about Porsche, and thought, from what some say, is that they are not a good 911.

Well, it's no 930 or 997 gt, but for price, best car I have ever owned...

Performance is fantastic for what u get for your 50 k or so.

Was actually thinkin of selling mine and buying 997 or Mabey even older hot rod Porsche, but I love driving it to much to part with it.

So, now I'm gona hot rod mine over time.....

Glad I didn't pay $248k for mine when new, but for 50k and only 50k klm, absolute bargin!

I took it to the track last year while my "track car" was having some work done and was bitterly disappointed..

I get that - I took my chipped M135i to Winton last year - it's fast but it was disappointing on track. Brakes get hot, suspension too soft, understeery etc. Good road car but frustrating on track. It's one of the reasons I decided to get another Porsche rather than ruin a good road car with suspension mods for track.

I also recall passing an STi at Calder years ago in my Datsun 1600 and marvelling at the tyre peeling understeer. More grunt than me but too much weight and understeer to be fast on track.

I get that - I took my chipped M135i to Winton last year - it's fast but it was disappointing on track. Brakes get hot, suspension too soft, understeery etc. Good road car but frustrating on track. It's one of the reasons I decided to get another Porsche rather than ruin a good road car with suspension mods for track.

I also recall passing an STi at Calder years ago in my Datsun 1600 and marvelling at the tyre peeling understeer. More grunt than me but too much weight and understeer to be fast on track.

The understeer is debilitating out on the track. They really need a "slow in, fast out" approach but that doesn't work well with only 150kw at the tyres. If it had a lot more poke it would be quickish but I've personally never enjoyed mashing the throttle and hanging on while the car pulls you out of a corner. It gets old quickly.

Archived