987 Key

Wisdome

Has anyone had experience doing this? Been quoted $850 to get a new transponder, key cut and then programed. Trying to figure out if I can cut some of the steps out and just get the dealer ship to program.

Would be grateful for any input!

Cheers

I have just looked at the same thing, and the quote I got from the dealer was one price for the transponder and then another for the key blade. 

I too only had one key and the one that I did have had a broken case. I bought a new case on eBay and swapped the internals, and the key blade over. I should note that you need to swap the blade, transponder AND the immobiliser chip which looks like a little rectangular magnet. That was an absolute bitch to get out of the original key and I basically ended up destroying the original case getting it out.

One of the YouTube videos I watched mentioned a company I think was called keys online, which will make a copy of the key blade from a photo. The transponder is the main thing that I couldn't find outside the dealer. 

If you find a good option, let us know as I am just keeping the one key at this stage myself.

You can remove the transponder and buy a key and remote head off ebay.

If you do take this approach make sure that the key comes with the "learn code", otherwise it can not be paired with the car - I was looking at doing this myself until I read the fine print.  From what I understand the key's code is associated with the chip/PCB inside the key and not the transponder "pill" so if you find a complete key on Ebay and just want to swap over the working/existing components this may not work either.

I had a complete key and a key that was missing the chip/PCB when I bought my 987.  In the end I bought a new key fob/head (i.e. no blade) though the independent (T&D at Albion, Brisbane) and it came with all the necessary codes so that they could make it work with the car.  I think that it was $350 including labour, so it can definitely be done for less that what you have been quoted.

• 3 months later...

We only got 1 key with our 987, and I too, was worried about losing it.  However dealer threw in a 986 key which was absolutely no use to us :lol:

I got the Fob from Autohaus Hamilton for $285, and got the Key blade from www.expressautokeys.co.uk.  You take a photo of your existing key blade, email it to them, and about 2 weeks later the pre-cut blade turns up in the mail for about GBP20.  Worked perfectly.  Then had to get key programmed at dealer, believe it takes about 20 mins to do.  We got ours done for nix as a trade off after a complaint that after a service my wife drove straight from the dealer back up the highway to get home, and then suffered a flat tyre (of course another $600 to replace!!).  Tyre dealer said there was no puncture, it looked as if the valve stalk had been bent over and split.  Such a problem was either not picked up at the service, or done at the dealer.  They admitted no liability, but did the programming for nix anyway, so semi satisfied with that outcome

cheers

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Off topic, does anyone have a solution to stop the key from unlocking the car from your pocket? :)

FYI had a good chat with Chris, the Service Manager at Willoughby who's another guy who knows his stuff. He said they can check the timer on the keys to make sure it's programmed with the largest delay (600ms?) and you need to take all sets in.

Archived