Suspension

Spannerhead

Yesterday some of us PFA members went for a drive up here in Byron. I had a good time although I did discover during a very rough, tight switch back section of road how tiered my suspension is. Being a Targa its not the stiffest but the Rock and roll with a little rattling was to much ! So she needs work, I had considered coil overs in the past but have woken up. The question is how far to go though, there is such mixed opinion on shocks, bushes ect that I'm unsure what to buy. I intended to do it all my self.

1 OEM on all

2 Bilstien , urethane bushes and rsr bushes as well.

I know lots will say OEM, certainly cheaper. Yet some of the aftermarket stuff looks very good as well. Being a Targa it's never going to be a weapon but it would be nice to get the most out of her. All input appreciated. Thanks.

Spannerhead

Yes but my door almost flew open !! I think I'm going to go with polibronze back and the Rsr ones that say they are self centering on the front , should be good on a Targa . More expensive but I'm hoping worth the dough. I'll give my thoughts when it's all done.

I just bought a set of Rennline Monoball strut tops from Pelican Parts, if you choose to go down that path. Easy to swap out, as long as you have the right strut tops, which I didnt :( (Ive got solid ball mounts).

We spoke a bit about this last time I saw you, Ive got polyurethane bushes, and I couldnt stand the road from Byron Bay to Murwillumbah, I felt as if I was about to be thrown from my seat.

If youre keeping it for the street with occasional track days, then Id say, get the konis and maybe upgrade your sway bars, if the bushes are that bad, you can come for a drive in my car and see what you think on the street and make your mind up.

I personally wouldn't 'tighten' up the suspension on a targa, as it'll just make flex around the middle worse.

I've got KYB shock inserts for my Boge shocks (they were really cheap, and they'll be better than original 38 year old shocks!) set of turbo tie rods (which it already has I'm just replacing them) and am just putting an order in for rubber for everywhere else (torsion bar bushes, spring plate bushes, sway bar, drop link, trailing arm)

i've also been told by a few people not to use the 'sport' engine mounts in a targa

doing mine in the coming weeks, will let you know how it works out

even with all my bushes stuffed i'm pretty happy with the handling, i think with new rubber everywhere it'll be good enough

Rus your point about flex is a good one but I'm not sure how much the polibronze would actually stiffen things up, from what I have read they just work much smother , I'm no expert on this though.

Blitz apparently the bronze are smother than urethane ! Again only from what I have read, I also spoke to a mate in the UK who says iether go OEM or Poli and he did not rate urethane, he has a Porsche race shop.

So it's not an easy choice. I'll be at cars & coffee next Sunday and will be happy to talk further, hope you both come down.

Not sure who the agent is here in Australia but Elephant Racing make some great components Poly Bronze bushes etc that work really well.

Have you used any of there bushes ? If so what's your opinion ?

Whatever route you go with the bushes, just getting new ones throughout will make a massive difference.

Also check your sway bar drop links arent flogged out.

I think jnr356 has got it right. 

With the money you save you can afford those "brave pills" for those special occasions.  For the other 99.9% of the time its quiet and comfortable and surprisingly effective. 

So far I have used the car on track days and Targa High Country (thoroughbred class again later this year)  with other events as I find time and interest to attend. Definitely not a daily driver as the other modifications to engine and transmission have added to, the "mechanical symphony" that a 911 can produce.

The ER parts were fitted along with several other suspension upgrades, thicker torsion bars, sway bars (through chassis) and rebuilt and re-valved Bilsteins. The bushes tightened up the feel of the car without any great increase in noise IMO they keep things aligned and provide a smooth range of movement.

I have purchased products from Clint at RSR (in the states) and he makes some interesting things including front arm bushes, but it can be difficult at times to get in contact with him (best to ring). 

Archived