Bloody 915 box

As it was a quiet Saturday I decided to tackle my stiff gearbox shift. I had ordered all the new bushings, read up on replacing said bushes and off I went tools in hand. When I opened the shift rod coupling cover witch is between there seats. I discovered some very interesting repairs, the coupler had been wrapped in silver duct tape, OK no wonder shift was so poor, worn bushes. On closer inspection. The coupler had been completely butchered by some hack mechanic. So as you can see the grub screw that fix's the coupler to shift rod was mashed. I tried all known methods of extracting it ! Nothing worked ! So I had to drill it out, not fun !! As you can see in the pic the PM had some how made his own bushings that where off centre as well as stiff, so yes bad gearshift. But now I'm concerned that by drilling out i have Fkt the hole in the shift rod ! I will need a complete new coupling and hope it will still hold tight on the rod. Why the previous so called mechanic did what he did is beyond me. One very frustrated owner. 

resize coupler.jpg

Yes thank you Harv, Its completely idiotic the way it was so called fixed. I'm considering buying Wevo PSJ as I need to replace my Coupler ( useless after drilling out screw ) from the general consensus it seems to be an improvement on the OEM unit. Anyone here tried one ?

I may be wrong but replacing all of the shift mechanisms etc won't fix a worn gearbox. I tried the coupler bushes, improved the shift a bit. I tried a Wevo short shift, improved the shift a lot. I'm going to replace engine mounts. I don't expect this to fix my hard shifting 915 either but it might improve it a bit more. I got quoted around $3500 to fix it properly. The quote was to remove engine and gearbox and replaced lots of stuff in the box. This also included tidying up known smallish issues with engines whilst it was out. I think that will fix it. I hope it will fix it. I'm saving my pennies until I get a spare $3500.

useless after drilling out screw

Spanner,

You could get your local engineering/mechanical business to helicoil the coupler to accept a new grub screw.

Alternatively you could drill it out and tap it to the next suitable thread size and use a suitably modified bolt.

But if you really want a Wevo, I'll shut up.....:) 

Spanner,

You could get your local engineering/mechanical business to helicoil the coupler to accept a new grub screw.

Alternatively you could drill it out and tap it to the next suitable thread size and use a suitably modified bolt.

But if you really want a Wevo, I'll shut up.....:) 

What Pete said, if you can drill out the old grub screw i'm sure you can do a helicoil yourself spanner, or next size thread and new grub screw it looks like there's enough room for it.

I have a sloppy old 901 box (that sounds bad..) and just replaced all the bushings, head shift rod, and popped in a Wevo PSJ while I was at it. 

Improved it a lot but it's still an old 901 shifter and box...

For me it was the cheapest, easiest and quickest way to try and improve it myself and see if there where any bigger issues down the line.

Thanks for all your suggestions , yes I could tap it and finned some screw to fit and that would work, but after much consideration I have ordered a similar coupling from Jwest they make the Rennshift gearshift kit that looks very nicely thought out http://www.jwesteng.com/shop/index.php have a look at there stuff. 

I started this little job on Sat thinking it would be done by Monday as my Rego is out on the 25th, so typically the gremlins have struck and its a mad race against time.

My box is old but my shift was all over the place, I think the mess I discovered is certainly a big part of the trouble. I will post an update when its back on the road and appraise the new parts.

Archived