Baby seat install for a cayman?

Bardman

Has anyone here done a baby seat install for a Cayman?

I have a new Cayman GT4 which does not have the anchor point required for the top of the baby seat.

The baby seat we purchased did come with an anchor point that looks like it could be installed in the firewall behind the passenger seat.

Has anyone done this or have any tips for a project like this?  I would prefer to get it professionally done, but don't know where to start.

Here are a few pics of the anchor point:

T0bMwA3.jpg

LPrzRv9.jpg

How old is your child? 

Its generally not recommended to install child seats in the front of modern cars due to airbags etc. especially if they are rear facing (hence I asked the age of the child). Most cars have the points to install anchors there but I'm guessing they weren't considered essential on a GT4 - lucky kid! 

I'd say a quick call to a Porsche centre would make sense?

I know that the 986 Boxster has a special component installed to attach a child seat to, and that component deactivates the airbag.  This isn't really relevant I know, but it may give an insight into Porsche's approach with children's seating - buy an additional component rather than weigh everyone's car down with it as standard.

Actually, you've read the manual right?  It should definitely be covered in detail there...

• 1 month later...

Check with your state roads authority as in some states you can't use a baby seat in a front seat unless the airbag is deactivated.  On overseas Porsches there is a key switch in the glovebox that disables the airbag, but thats not an option for Aussie cars.

I have no idea about the Cayman, but are sure they are not there? In my 997 I had to cut into the rear shelf fabric to find it. Complete pain in the arse to get to but I would be surprised the a Euro car with all of their standards doesn't come with one, but then it might just be a GT weight saving thing ;)  You should have optioned a roll cage and just strapped them to that!

Archived