Resto Discussion General 356 - Share Your Experience

symsy

At the risk of their being a big investment potential and of course someone reading this and thinking that this also great idea and going doing it themselves.

JamesP posted this link in the "Whats for Sale in Australia Thread "  and I wondered from my anxiety if I could get a little debate.

You may have all seen from my posts, I am looking for a project and another car. A keeper, for me , not so much an investment , but a very driveable classic.

I also dont want a garage queen , it may get taken to a hill climb possibly , club events , just to paint the picture, not a race car , the girl would want to sit in comfort .. the TT I have may become more so my garage queen.

Im struggling to get my head around the complexity and a budget , wanted to get input and wondered ..what the PFA GURUS knew..  My anxiety also stems from a 7 year build on the Aston , which although finincially right now for the first 5 years was a frustrating money pit and chllenge sourcing parts. Im thinking more like a 1 year build or less if thats possible.

To further set the scene , Im am unlikely to use a full porsche mechanic or somone whos done this before , I am likely to use my Aston guy , who is a classic engineer and can do almost everything in-house.. am I crazy.  Getting a sarter car is one challenge but getting someone to do things is my biggest expereince and this guy sorta does anything , with 50 years doing cars.

1. I wondered never having tackled anything like a 356.. whats the view on the 50k price tag for starters? Is this car so rare? sould i care if Im changing so much?

2. Im going to do a full build and quite possibly an outlaw build what the variances for say floor pans and major rust would be in terms of dollars and work?

3. Everyone says parts are available , is this really true?

4. Specifically is sourcing glass and issue?

5. Is LHD-RHD  a challenge or quite straight forwad like a 911 , done that one before?

Thannks in advance , I hope its not too indulgent of me or lazy to ask ..

Steve

Steve my exp of 356 restos comes from watching a mate work on these; he has been driving and restoring 356's for years. I've seen pretty looking cars come in to the workshop and a month later seen them torn down and miserable looking owners wondering wt... 

another mate who is tackling a big (first) resto in his shed at the moment. Developing the skills as he goes and redoing the earlier work as he's gotten better.   

Cpl threads 

jonesy's car http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/23715-BT5-resto.html

Seminal - this project was a game changer ... http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3447

Hi Steve

The best way to get all the answers is to go to a 356 gathering and speak to as many owners possible. These guys are very passionate and I don't blame them. Of course have a drive as they are totally different to a 911. Prices are ridiculous a nice B couple will go for between $95 to $120. for example and are still rising. The cheapest way of getting a 356 is from the US even with our current crappy exchange. At least they still have a few around. I don't see you getting one for $50k in Oz as they are getting pretty scarce. Sorry mate.

If you have the opportunity, there's a annual nation wide meeting of 356 held every year in Melbourne at the end of November. This year from 27-29th. Details on the 356register website.

cheers

Jack

I'd buy one already done.  You're going to tear up arguably 150-200 doing it right plus the car.  Pre A's and A's are the hardest to come by and most desirable so your base/starting cost is going to be dependant on what model you chose.

- There are heaps of parts available from Stoddards and NLA Porsche

- LHD > RHD isn't an issue its been done plenty of times and is actually pretty straight forward

Best guy is arguable Ron Goodman in Sydney, he's built plenty of them and taken out a lot of concours awards for his and customer cars.  He's a mate and he'll tell you that you're better off buying a good one already done.  But as you've already been done the build path with the Aston you know what you are in for.

Good luck Steve.  I was lucky enough to get one recently at a good price from its long term (44 years) last owner in SA.  Meticulously maintained and original Australian-delivered  RHD.  They are out there! I would certainly encourage looking for good LHD cars as they often now have a higher value over RHD, in what is an international market. Conversions are generally well down the pecking order.

Archived