996 Auto Carrera What To Look For 1999-2000

Steve88

Hey guys I'm looking at purchasing a 996 Carrera Automatic , plain jane 2WD this week and would like to know what to look for when driving and looking over the car .

Its a 1999 and done about 80,000km 

Has anyone also got any recommendations for a PPI in Melbourne  . Maybe list a few as I'm on the opposite side of town from the seller 

Many thanks in advance 

Plane Jane 2wd is the best one to get ;)  I don't know that there's anything specific to look for that's any different to other cars. I can tell you that the finish on the centre consol is terrible and easily scratched up. Leather should be in good shape with 80kms. Otherwise if it presents well, send it off for a PPI. Jocaro in Braeside are very good with water cooled Porsches and will be able to tell you if she's a good one or not. Given it's an auto and low kms, I'd highly consider the IMS upgrade as the statistics show it's the ones with low kms and driven more conservatively that have more chance of clagging out. If you've got any questions after seeing it, jump back in here and see if one of us can help. Good luck.

Do agree with Simonk you should do IMS. I actually witnessed the aftermath of an IMS for some poor sole last week. For the money your spending on the car it makes sense to do it. Also budget an air oil seperator, they usually go near the 100k mark. Can get both done at the same time to reduce costs. 

Double check the inner wear on the rear tyres as they like to eat tyres but leave the almost looking brand new on the outside. 

+996 on the PPI you can get one done at PC Melbourne or Brighton if you buy the car a Porsche PPI looks good for the paperwork IMO. 

Ask for all the receipts the seller can  give you. 

I'd also do the IMSB being a 99 it may/will? Have the dual row which only had a 1% failure rate in the USA. If you want to be really pedantic get a boroscope done to check for cylinder scoring although that's a bit far.  

Might want to budget for a new waterpump because if you do buy it and then proceeded to drive it like it's meant to be when it hasn't been it might go. 

Check if it has the tool kit as they are anywhere between 200-300 to replace!  

Good luck! 

Archived