Who wants a new 2010 911 Turbo for $143,343.73 AUD?

The Aussie dollar has also strengthed against the Euro.

I reckon you've brought up a very good strategy to use on the local Porche dealer salesman to negotiate a good price.

Not sure they could beat the US dollar price though. Problem is that when you go to sell the "import" there will also have to be a price discount.

• 3 months later...

The Aussie dollar has also strengthed against the Euro.

I reckon you've brought up a very good strategy to use on the local Porche dealer salesman to negotiate a good price.

Not sure they could beat the US dollar price though. Problem is that when you go to sell the "import" there will also have to be a price discount.

Let's calculate what it might cost Porsche Australia...:

$143,000 Base Price.

LCT - 30% from memory.

GST - 10%

Duty - 10%.

Shipping about $5k.

Total - $205,000. I'd love to know exactly how Porsche puts the figure on a 997 Turbo at over $350k from memory? Anyone?

and....

if they're for sale in the states at $143k, and we can see from the figures above that the profit percentage is pretty good by anyones standards, what must the dealers in the US being paying for the cars out of Germany?!?! :huh:

Everyone is entitled to make a buck of course, but its a shame that we pay SO MUCH MORE than the rest of the world. Does it really have that much to do with distance, or is it the greedy federal government taxes?!

Personally, I find it hard to justify buying ANY luxury car new. That fact that as you drive it out the front gates of the dealer you've just shed $10k's just makes me shiver!

Still :angry: , or am I missing something here?

Kerry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Guys

I'm 100% behind you.

But even second hand prices, take a UK 964 with FSH and in immaculate condition 15000 GBP thats roughly $25000 approx AUD and prices here start from $40000 ish and from experience the bottom end of the car market is exactly that. :rolleyes:

And as for the topic the 2010 911 turbo. How do you go about importing a new car when there are dealerships over here? As for second hand unless it is pre 89 or you have owned it for 12 months you can't get an approval :angry: And if you have such a saving as you pointed out then who wouldnt go direct :)

If you ask me I think it could be down to protecting their own market as well as government taxes . Oh for Commodores and Ford

• 1 year later...

Hi guys I've just read this post and am now seething.

Has anyone ever hit Porsche up for an explanation? There is a total disconnect in the pricing and while this strategy may be put down as yield management, surley with similar prices from the Northern Hemisphere here in Aust., the average revenue per retail outlet or city would be far greater than it's current guise. This will then only compound when taking into account service and spares.

Is there anyone who s or knows someone from Porsche Australia who can rationalize this?

DB

Guest vas930

I thought the import duty was more like 100%. (not sure)

This is why Auatralian cars are cheap.

They take that money and justify making cars in Australia.

The whole thing is a sham.

And I cant justify a new porsche.

I sure as hell can at the US price. :angry:

Hey fellas,

Hope all is well and your P. cars are behaving.

How does this sound as another perspective?

The marketing types identify the market niche for each model, obviously look at the landed cost for each model and then pitch their RRP to fit that position and up against competing cars in that market.

Remember we have paid over-the-odds for "foreign cars" for decades so somehow have become used to paying more than we should but have been unable to do anything about it. The bogeymen lurking in the background are the FEDS and the local manufacturers. I read local jobs and therefor votes.

Trying to arrive at a logical conclusion to car pricing has as much to do with the landed cost as it has with the the market. We pay full RRP on these cars because we love 'em.

To most of us our cars are more than daily drivers. We even give our cars names! Sheesh. How tragic is that!

Having played the emotion card, something the marketing gurus fully understand and having pitched the car to you in the silky glow of an evening sky, a bottle of bubbly (Aussie of course) and a twisty road or svelte wench (special friend draping herself across the bonnet they have got you hooked...bad.

They then charge what they can get away with. Cover the landed costs, local input costs, add buckets of advertising $s and we become fair game.

QED

Stay safe.

rEd

Guest vas930

Thats the point.

And the point of my "are they worth it" thread.

My dad paid 300k for his 993 tt back in 97.

A hell of alot for the day.

However, in 97 nothing could touch a 993tt.

So even though it was big bucks it could be justified.

It was the best car you could buy.

Thats no longer the case.

If they want to charge this kind of money without justification, then they best up the performance.

The answer is not luxury car tax at all. LCT is calculated as a percentage of cost, similar to GST, Import duty etc.

What we are talking about here is a business charging what the market will bear.

It is a very good business as well. The porsche GP margin per vehicle (991) or any 911 for that matter must be well over $100k per unit.

In saying that, Australia is a very small market. The advertising, service, dealer network etc would be a significant cost per unit due to the low sales volume.

Comparing AU price to USA price is not ever going to provide an accurate conversion. I read somewhere years ago, that you could buy a 911 cheaper in the US than you could in Germany. If this is true, then Porsche are competing for market share and business in the US and the price reflects this strategy.

The conundrum for importers of products like Porsche cars to Australia, is how much do you sacrifice individual unit margin to gain market share. Manage this relationship while maximising shareholder / stakeholder value, also promoting a premium and exclusive image / stigma it becomes very difficult.

Would Australian Porsche owners really be happy if their cars were positioned and priced the same as a 370Z or something similar? There would be limited exclusivity, they would be everywhere, it would also destroy any residual values for existing owners...

Still, I would be pretty happy to buy a brand new (with options) 991 C2S for less than i bought my 7 year old 997.1 C2S here in Australia for.

Guest vas930

The answer is not luxury car tax at all. LCT is calculated as a percentage of cost, similar to GST, Import duty etc.

What we are talking about here is a business charging what the market will bear.

It is a very good business as well. The porsche GP margin per vehicle (991) or any 911 for that matter must be well over $100k per unit.

In saying that, Australia is a very small market. The advertising, service, dealer network etc would be a significant cost per unit due to the low sales volume.

Comparing AU price to USA price is not ever going to provide an accurate conversion. I read somewhere years ago, that you could buy a 911 cheaper in the US than you could in Germany. If this is true, then Porsche are competing for market share and business in the US and the price reflects this strategy.

The conundrum for importers of products like Porsche cars to Australia, is how much do you sacrifice individual unit margin to gain market share. Manage this relationship while maximising shareholder / stakeholder value, also promoting a premium and exclusive image / stigma it becomes very difficult.

Would Australian Porsche owners really be happy if their cars were positioned and priced the same as a 370Z or something similar? There would be limited exclusivity, they would be everywhere, it would also destroy any residual values for existing owners...

Still, I would be pretty happy to buy a brand new (with options) 991 C2S for less than i bought my 7 year old 997.1 C2S here in Australia for.

Good point.

However, excluivity for Porsche cars is over.

Drive through Melbourne and they are common.

I see more Turbo 911s than GTRs.

And I for one would love to see the small Porsches priced at 370 Z prices.

Residual prices have been destroyed already.

As I have said, if the performance is not on par with the cost it becomes a joke.

At the moment it does not.

Then again, Ferrari has been selling an idea rather than reality for years.

Is this the direction Porsche is going?

Selling an idea of the fastest and best sports cars for top dollar.

Yet, the product does not live up to the price. (in Australia)

I hope not. :(

Pretty happy with how my 2nd hand 911 performed today at Phillip Island compared to my previous 350Z.

Purchase price was twice as much, but the 911 is twice the car and probably then some...

However I agree with you VAS, that now the purchase price of a new Porsche, does not stack up with the performance.

IMO the day the WRX was born, ended the price to performance correlation.

IMO the day the WRX was born, ended the price to performance correlation.

The above quote is interesting and can easily ignite a whole new debate which I'm sure will be hotly contested-hate to admit it however and I would be hard pressed to think of a better example than the old late 1990's WRX (then again I've had 5 beers watching the game at the same time).

Point however ( while relevant) is not the value for money the new 911 offers and performance per $ ; more the fact we are getting totally done over in what we pay compared to rest of world markets. Go to any capital city in the US or UK and there is a 911 in ever other street corner, however, they also perhaps see their customers upgrade their models more frequently than we do due to the significantly lower loss in depreciated costs they enjoy to us paying 300 K plus here.

Revenue management is a balance between supply and units sold to maximize total revenues of the business - perhaps Porsche see Australia a market to bolster their yield and margins to off set their higher volume / lower yeild markets elsewhere. If I had e ability to buy one new I would be petrified to see in 5 years what the trade in value would be.... I've just upgraded to a 78' SC for goodness sake.

Then again perhaps I'm not the majority of those on this forum.

Guest vas930

Doish, this is all about Australian prices.

Tekno, great to see you track your car.

Phillip Island in your Porsche is the best day you can have.

Talking of WRXs, I had a great run with a set up 350hp WRX at PI last month.

Said alot for that car.

Then again, said alot for the 32 year old Porsche.

In the end I was to fast down the straights.

The point is, how many cars 32 years old can you do that in.

When he was loading it on the trailer at the end of the day, I put the spare back in the trunk and drove home.

Cant think of any other car you can do that in.

Go the Porsche. :)

I agree with you Vas,

My son got a WRX and thought in tracking it the gearbox might give out, but the engine did !

I said "the problem is your car is designed as a road car and built as a race car, the Porsche is done the other way round !"

I helped him to rebuild with forged pistons, bigger turbo and suspension setup and he still struggled to match my times in the 944 S2.

Cheers,Mark

Archived