Advice on a 968? Or do I buy a 996?

JLD

Think he just did! :-)

Maybe I'm just being selfish, yet I wouldn't buy a car to keep anyone else happy.

Have you thought about a 944? There's an import thats been fully restored for sale on here somewhere thats a relatively cheap entry into a Porsche.  Yeah, its not Oz delivered and have the right valve caps fitted from the factory, but if it were me, I'd buy an entry level car and keep saving ya cash for what you want later

You cant go past a 944T for handling or performance for the $

Or the 944S2 not as quick as the turbo but a great drive in its own right. Having said that I could have bought a 3.2 litre Carrera for 40k when I bought my S2. I thought I can always buy a 3.2 in a few years ( that was 2011) now sadly I'll never afford one. If you want a 911 buy a 911, you may find in a few years even a 996 is out of reach. Wish I'd bought the 3.2, it would be 60k + now.............

That's what scares me... I do love 912s as well, but seeing that one for $120k made me very sad :( There's a lot to think about, maybe I should just be patient. That could be a good thing if prices cool, or a terrible thing if prices keep rising. I'll be honest, a 996 is not on top of my list but it is a 911. I've been lucky enough to be able to drive on a number of occasions a friend's 88 911 manual cab and 996 Mark 2 Targa (Tiptronic). I would take the 88 cab everytime! His 911 cab is one owner, black on black factory wide body. He had the whale tail removed for the original 911 look. I love this car, and have since I first laid eyes on it over 25 years ago!

That's what scares me... I do love 912s as well, but seeing that one for $120k made me very sad :( There's a lot to think about, maybe I should just be patient. That could be a good thing if prices cool, or a terrible thing if prices keep rising. I'll be honest, a 996 is not on top of my list but it is a 911. I've been lucky enough to be able to drive on a number of occasions a friend's 88 911 manual cab and 996 Mark 2 Targa (Tiptronic). I would take the 88 cab everytime! His 911 cab is one owner, black on black factory wide body. He had the whale tail removed for the original 911 look. I love this car, and have since I first laid eyes on it over 25 years ago!

I feel your pain. I've even looked at other brands to find a classic alternative to an aircooled 911. Early Mustangs, Camaro's, Corvettes, original Mini Cooper S are all great cars and still affordable, but at the end of the day there is only one 911 B)... These first world problems are terrible aren't they ????? :D

Great advise from all I must say and at the end of the day, it is what your pocket can afford.

I, like many, have lusted after a G series since I was in my teens. My first was a 996 that I am more than happy I purchased. Fantastic daily driver! I was fortunate enough to come across my SC at the right time and at the time, was the right price for me. 

As far as my better half goes - I cannot get the keys back from her with the 996, whereas, she gladly gives me the keys to drive the SC. For me, a car needs to have some emotional connection and I much prefer to drive the 996 daily and leave the SC for special occasions and that is the main reason for my purchase.

So, what is all this waffle about and what has it to do with your decision? Determine what you want to use your 911 for. At the end of the day, they both are 911s :) 

Do you want the nostalgia of what cars were like when you were 18 and felt, well......like driving a 30+ year old car? If you want a 911, then bite the bullet, beg, borrow and steal to get your 911, whether G series or 996. If not now, then when???

Whichever you choose, whenever you take the covers off and see it, as long as it brings a smile to your face and stirs something inside of you......then you have made the right decision!!

Whilst the 911 market has seen a recent spike in values I just can't see this transferring across to the 996. There are a few factors that have contributed to recent price increases, none of these I see as being applicable to the 996 though other than it shares a Porsche badge (GT models aside). 

They may level out but I highly doubt they will double in value within the next year or so. If they do then I guess the 911 market is more bonkers than I thought! 

Do your homework and buy the right car for you, just don't be caught up in the 'any Porsche will be an investment' hype because it's not true or accurate. 

Archived