How Do I Fix This ? Snapped ET tail light

Steve88

Woke up real early this morning and pulled the car cover off totally forgetting about the 3rd tail light . This is the result .

IMG_9801_zpsxen96pxy.jpg

IMG_9802_zpsk1h14hld.jpg

The brittle plastic has snapped with the screws still in the rear wing . Any idea how to

A. try and get the screws out as they are spinning as I try to unscrew them from the inside engine bay .

B How the heck do I fix this and re attach . 

Any advice welcome here guys . Steve

Woke up real early this morning and pulled the car cover off totally forgetting about the 3rd tail light . This is the result .

The brittle plastic has snapped with the screws still in the rear wing . Any idea how to

A. try and get the screws out as they are spinning as I try to unscrew them from the inside engine bay .

Sounds like you snapped the captive nuts from the light housing, so you will need to use some long nose pliers or forcips (preferably the bent type) to hold the nuts, then unscrew.  As a precaution try to cover all painted surfaces that may be scratched while unscrewing.

Once apart you will see how it all fits back together.  Get a good quality glue and piece it back together. 

Hey Steve,

I have my ET light off the car, it looks very fragile inside. Here are a couple of photos, that hopefully can help you.

ET%20%20LIGHT.jpg

ET%20LIGHT.jpg

It's probably designed to be fragile for pedestrian safety reasons.  Yes, important even going in reverse!

Probably the easiest repair would be to fill the two large voids with two part plastic body filler and then bed the captive nuts in the right position and depth.  You may have to trim the broken end of the captive nut as the plastic may be stretched and won't let it sit low enough now.  Also thoroughly clean all the surfaces being filled.

Being very viscous the plastic filler won't run down the wiring hole like say epoxy and chopped strand and make a mess.  Suggest you also cover the external painted area with masking tape before you fill to speed clean up.

Good luck!

probably best to remove it completely and fit a third brakelight on the top of the inside of the rear windscreen?

Was thinking about this too

Hey Steve,

I have my ET light off the car, it looks very fragile inside. Here are a couple of photos, that hopefully can help you.

ET%20%20LIGHT.jpg

ET%20LIGHT.jpg

Thanks heaps . Yeh that does actually . 

If you consider removing the ET light and fitting a rear window light, I suspect you will have two holes in your lid to fill.  Either two plastic plugs :o or do it right with weld and repaint.  I had previously removed my ET light and fitted one in the rear window, but I also moved from turbo tail to std 3.2 tail and replaced the whole lid with respray, so no holes to deal with.

Sounds like the screws are spinning given the captive nut side is broken away from the housing with nothing to restrain.  From the pic, also looks like the right side plastic around the nut is cracked, you'll need a mate to hold the outside with pliers whilst you undo from under the lid, spray some lube on the nut thread.

I think Peter M's suggestion with good quality glue is your best option to rebuild the housing, will need to be gentle tightening the screws during installation, or buy a new one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-911-930-3rd-Brake-Light-911-631-071-00-SC-Carrera-Tail-lamp-/111977094632?hash=item1a125adde8:g:fj0AAOSwiYFXGs-4 , it's even red;)

If you disconnect the wiring, you will be able to remove the ET light & have full access to the broken captive nuts.

There will be 3 holes in the engine lid, 2 for the ET light mounting bolts & 1 for the wiring.

Remember there are 2 types of the ET light, yours is the tall type & the eBay one from 1Stepo911 is the short type. 

Archived