996 GT3 seat harness replacement

TP-993

Hi.

New to the forum and looking at replacing the race harnesses on my 04 996 GT3 Mk2 CS. I have sourced OEM Schroth red harnesses from Gert at Carnewal.com and they will be arriving soon. My car currently has harnesses but the PO replaced with aftermarket and I want to return to factory.

Any tips on best way to remove existing and replace, do the seats need to come out?

Cheers Tim.

resize.jpg

They should just have clips that fasten to the factory eyelets at the bottom and just a case of un-threading the shoulder straps on the roll/harness bar. Should be no need to remove the seats.  

Thanks Hugh. Is the same for the straps under the seat? They seem to fix similar to the shoulder straps around a harness bar. 

Apologies, I assumed it was only a 4 point, is it a 6 point harness? 

The seat needs to come out to get to the sub strap I believe.

EDIT: from memory the sub bar mounts to the large side brackets of the seat so you may be able to get it out without unbolting the seat rail. It's sandwiched between the seat and the rail.

Thanks Guys. Will see how I go and post some photos of the job when the new harnesses arrive. 

Hugh yes they are 6 point. The original OEM Schroth ones in red that originally cam with the car. You can still get from Schroth with the 996 part number on them. 

Hi Spiller. No problems, they are listed on his website. They are 230 euro each so approx AU$350 each plus shipping approx AU$75. 

This is how the the Schroth harness looks : 

http://carnewal.com/cpx/p96192.jpg

I tried to source a new big bottle fire extinguisher as well but they can't ship. I ended up sourcing direct through Porsche here for about $500. 

Completely off topic but whats the 996 CS like with the light weight flywheel? I've just had mine removed for the OEM dual mass. Mine chattered but only when it was warmed up. Performance was great though, I have a feeling ill miss it...

Seats and belts look great btw!

Completely off topic but whats the 996 CS like with the light weight flywheel? I've just had mine removed for the OEM dual mass. Mine chattered but only when it was warmed up. Performance was great though, I have a feeling ill miss it...

I have LWFW in my car, in one word...awesome.

Chatter is very audible but I love the noise. Wouldnt have it any other way, plus rev matching is a treat.

hi dan, I actually have the DMF as my GT3 is the MK2 CS. Only the MK1 CS came standard with the LWF. From media articles it seems that the feel is supposed to be very similar for both MK1 CS and MK2 CS as one has less power but LWF and the other has more power but DMF. 

• 1 month later...

image_zpshecp6lcs.jpeg

Well it took a little while for Carnewal to get them in stock, but here they are and actually a very simple installation process. 

To install the 6pt original Schroth harnesses you did need to remove the seats to get access to the sub bar to connect the base straps. You also need to remove the seats to easily access the side bolts as well. 

To remove the seats was simple, with 4 Torx head bolts at the ends of the seat rails. You need plenty of room around the car to fully open the doors to remove the seats otherwise you risk scratching or damaging the car.

For me dual mass is a bit like going to the school dance with your sister.  Looks OK but it's just not right ... 

Archived