Fuel leak from one of my webbers

ByronBayChris

Here is a pic of my engine bay.  The left webber has a small fuel leak from the gasket (circled).

This appears to be a reasonably simple job for a local VW guy to give me a hand doing.   Any comments or special advice or "run forrest run" comments I need to know about ?

27098213031_4a7a4838c6_z.jpg

Easy job Chris, and get it done asap just incase.

Any VW guy could do it in 30 minutes if its just to replace the base gasket. Do both carbs anyway, and buy a full kit, coz you will need it later if theyre starting to leak

Don't drive it. Fuel leak above. Hot exhaust below.

Ask me how I know. :(

OK...how do you know.

May aswell replace the fuel hoses and filter whilst you're there Chris. 

You haven't learnt...have you....no more "while you are in there jobs for you, Mr Lee M"

Thanks  - good idea.

A glutton for punishment mate

Porsche or VW 101. Check ya fuel lines!

I checked the 912's that looked reasonably new till I bent them a bit, and they split easily

OK...how do you know.

Many moons ago in a faraway land I had some webers rebuilt by an “expert” on my 356 powered Geneer Outlaw. Car ran well the following day going to an event. Coming home – crapo. Stopped at a set of lights, missing ,farting. Gave it a boot full on the green and caught a glimpse of flashing lights in my side mirror from a mate behind me. Looked over my shoulder to see fire leaping out the top of the engine lid. Car turned into a dog and went WOOF. Flames you ask? THEY WERE BIG!

Managed to get it out after reading how to operate the fire ext.  Turns out the top gasket was misaligned (i.e. the “expert” didn’t put in correctly or check it) and the float level got stuck on the gasket so fuel kept pouring into the bowl regardless of throttle position. Fuel bowl fills up, overflows and straight onto hot exhaust where afore mentioned dog makes his appearance. Lots of melted paint, fiberglass, wiring etc etc.

As a first year apprentice last century, I recall the old mechanics highlighting a known fault with VW Beatles. 

I was told at every service you should remove the rubber fuel line at the carby and gently knock the brass barb back in to the body of the carby with a knockometer.

It only takes a few taps but you can hear the note when the barb lands home.

The original barb was a press fit, not threaded. Give it a few hundred heat cycles at that barb will work loose.

Fuel will be pumped at an alarming rate onto the distributor if this was left unchecked and it dropped out.

No second chances.

As a first year apprentice last century, I recall the old mechanics highlighting a known fault with VW Beatles. 

I was told at every service you should remove the rubber fuel line at the carby and gently knock the brass barb back in to the body of the carby with a knockometer.

The original barb was a press fit, not threaded. Give it a few hundred heat cycles at that barb will work loose.

Fuel will be pumped at an alarming rate onto the distributor if this was left unchecked and it dropped out.

No second chances.

Thanks - all good words to check up on.    I am assisting the doctor in the surgery......so will make sure he follows these recommendations.

No second chances.

Yep x 2. Still got a Karmann Ghia in the shed waiting to be finished after the same issue. Barb popped out and up she went.

Archived