718 Engine Sound

Barks

Went along to the 718 preview at PC Brighton today. Heard the yellow S start up and a few revs. It actually sounded good. I was expecting a Subaru type of note. Keen to take one for a drive now. Still hanker after a 981 GTS though!!!

Went along to the 718 preview at PC Brighton today. Heard the yellow S start up and a few revs. It actually sounded good. I was expecting a Subaru type of note. Keen to take one for a drive now. Still hanker after a 981 GTS though!!!

DSCN6168.jpg

I think this one had "Barks/Sold" written on it.

Totally agree. I arrived at Porsche Willoughby ready to grimace at the sound. For whatever reason, nobody there asked the sales staff to start it up. He obliged with a 2.0l and it sounded good. Nothing like the YouTube versions I've heard.

I asked if they had a an "S" (2.5L), and the only one they had was a non-PSE model. It was under a cover on the second level of the dealership. No problem..top sales guy went and lifted the cover, vacated a nearby office (behind the exhaust) and started her up. Sounded even better. Throaty, deep and with a distinctive flat four sound, but not THAT flat four. I'm impressed. Re-style and interior look amazing. 

Nice silver 930 on the floor, along with 986/7/981 and 718 all lined up. As with you Barks...my ultimate was there too. One of the last Cayman GTS available. I would rob a bank for that car. At $200k I would need to!

• 3 weeks later...

My concern is not the sound but the refinement. i.e. too much of it. 

The Boxster and Cayman have become too refined and a bit too large for my liking. Test Drove the 981 Cayman and Boxster 6 months ago and felt that they were a bit too bulky (for wont of a better term) and I felt I was too cocooned from the driving experience - they are no longer small and nimble cars like the 986 and 987 are and no longer IMO fun to drive. The slightly raw/viseral driving quality the 987 Boxster was missing. The Cayman is worse than the Boxster in this regard (with the Boxster at least you can lower the roof which negates it a bit). And the fun factor has nothing to do with performance. I want the car to feel fun to drive at all driving speeds and does not require me to take it to the track to get that feeling of speed. Every car has a speed at which they start to come "alive", the 987 Boxster comes alive at around 80 km/hr. The 981s need to be taken up to 120-130km/hr before you even feel the sensation of speed - licence losing territory - they are in essence too good, too surefooted if that makes any sense. It is like driving in car in a Playstation game - the 981 makes good drivers of anyone. I suspect the new ones will be the same. I want a car that challenges my driving skill (or lack of).

But this lament doesn't just apply to the Porsches, a lot of marques are going this way. Very hard finding current model replacements of both my 987 Boxster S and Mk V Golf GTI that fulfill these requirements. 

Archived