Puncture Repair

StevepGT3

I used one of these kits to repair a puncture in our Pajero,more as a let`s see if it works than anything else, as  it was a bloody big hole and the plan was to possibly use a can of Tyre Weld as well if necessary, which I know works, but only on small holes.

After about a month the tyre has not lost any pressure and seems fine,however the process is not something you could  do without dismounting the wheel,as even on the Pajero with heaps of room in the wheel well it was very hard to insert the cord and would, I think be impossible lying on the road next to a Porsche. As the repaired car only does local work I am not concerned about it blowing out and I will monitor it, but I wouldn`t consider it a long term fix for a HP car.

I$_57.JPG?set_id=8800005007

I used one of these kits to repair a puncture in our Pajero,more as a let`s see if it works than anything else, as  it was a bloody big hole and the plan was to possibly use a can of Tyre Weld as well if necessary, which I know works, but only on small holes.

After about a month the tyre has not lost any pressure and seems fine,however the process is not something you could  do without dismounting the wheel,as even on the Pajero with heaps of room in the wheel well it was very hard to insert the cord and would, I think be impossible lying on the road next to a Porsche. As the repaired car only does local work I am not concerned about it blowing out and I will monitor it, but I wouldn`t consider it a long term fix for a HP car.

I$_57.JPG?set_id=8800005007

I have used those type of plugs on heaps of vehicles and never had a leak. It is easy enough on the front wheel of the car where you car turn the wheel, but the rear would be more of an issue. I mentioned this type of repair on here before and some were not keen on their P car. Personally I have no problem using them on a daily driver doing upto say 120kph, but not on a track tyre where I would be doing a lot more than that.

I have used those type of plugs on heaps of vehicles and never had a leak. It is easy enough on the front wheel of the car where you car turn the wheel, but the rear would be more of an issue. I mentioned this type of repair on here before and some were not keen on their P car. Personally I have no problem using them on a daily driver doing upto say 120kph, but not on a track tyre where I would be doing a lot more than that.

good point on the front wheel, mine was of course on the rear.

I've used them on loads of P Cars.  Most notably on the back of a 996 Turbo. Had the car 2 weeks, spanking new and went to a building site to see client and picked up what looked like a bit of body scaffolding ....!

Priced the replacement and thought fark that, $1300 or a plug.  Plug won and it stayed there for 15000 km's of long and short drives. Nothing taxing like the track but worked hard nonetheless. Not sure about the efficacy of it all but did the job for me. 

Second Skidmarks comments. I put a hole in  2 week old Bridgestone Portenza S02 on the 964RS. Had a plug put in roadside by British RAC (think NRMA). Spoke to a number of "experts" who said that while their official company line was that you should replace the tyre, their "unofficial" view was that done properly, not close to the edge, the tyre was fine to operate within it's normal perimeters, including max speed. I drove about 12,000 miles with the plug and even did one track day (when i couldn't get my track tyres to the event). Never had a problem. Only reason why the tyres were taken off the car was because of age.

Good to hear all the feedback re longevity, a little kit in the boot may at some stage save  someone having to get a flatbed to some god forsaken out of the way country town and shipping the non spare wheel carrying car all the way back to civilisation.

Archived