Under bonnet weep holes - check yours

90sF1Kid

Decided to start looking around the engine bay today and making a few notes of various items i'd like to clean up at some point or another, hopefully things I can take on myself given I'm a mechanical novice. As I moved around and made a few notes and observations my eye caught a glimpse of what looked to be a pool of water standing up atop the front guard just below the window on the passengers side.

Cause for immediate concern as the car had been garaged and not moved since Tuesday. Grabbed the old sponge I use for the wheels and mopped it all out. I must have sponged out about a litre or two into an old bucket.

DSC_0004.jpg

I figured the weep hole much be blocked and set about to find it. Readily easy to find as it runs into the guard and you can get 2 fingers under and sure enough it was caked full of debris, old leaves, dirt, bark, small twigs. I grabbed a tooth pick and scrapped a few large chunks out. probably played around with it for 30 minutes trying to get all I could, but I can feel plenty more in there where my fat fingers can't get at it. I tested with a glass of water and it now drains satisfactorily but I don't like knowing there's muck still there (i'm probably a little OCD).

DSC_0005.jpg

Checked the drivers side and whilst it was dry sure enough same thing - caked with debris.

Passengers side once cleaned up:

DSC_0003.jpg

Anyone have managed to completely clear these out? Do I need to take the lining out from under the front guards to reach them properly?

Archived