Cayman S

LeeM

A mate of mine has succumbed to my incessant pressure of getting himself a Porsche, so he's on the hunt for an 06/07 'S'.  Preferably Silver in colour, manual with reasonable km's, and a documented service history if possible

Not keen on a 911, only a Cayman S. He's not in any hurry, as he wants to find THE car, so if anyone knows of a nice car available for sale, please contact me via pm

I'm also keeping an eye on the Porsche Cayman market to see if I can get into my first P car that way.

I'm also looking at the early model 987 Cayman S.

From what I've seen most are hovering around low to mid 50ks, and I think purchases are being triggered around the high 40ks; I'm pretty sure a 47k Cayman S got delisted on carsales last week.

In 2 years time for a 2006 model, or 150,000 km the 3rd major service will be triggered and completed provided a full and up to date service record. Might be worth looking there if the budget is smaller, or 2008 models and 120,000 km/60,000 km for major service intervals.

In my opinion this car is the pick of the bunch for early Cayman S models currently on the market. Major service done, bunch of extra and useful options, well maintained it seems, Aus delivered:

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/2006-Porsche-Cayman-S-987/SSE-AD-3980804?DistanceFromMePostcode=3102

Only negatives are possibly brake pads replacement upcoming at 60k if that's not done and that silly licence plate. 

I'm also keeping an eye on the Porsche Cayman market to see if I can get into my first P car that way.

I'm also looking at the early model 987 Cayman S.

From what I've seen most are hovering around low to mid 50ks, and I think purchases are being triggered around the high 40ks; I'm pretty sure a 47k Cayman S got delisted on carsales last week.

In 2 years time for a 2006 model, or 150,000 km the 3rd major service will be triggered and completed provided a full and up to date service record. Might be worth looking there if the budget is smaller, or 2008 models and 120,000 km/60,000 km for major service intervals.

In my opinion this car is the pick of the bunch for early Cayman S models currently on the market. Major service done, bunch of extra and useful options, well maintained it seems, Aus delivered:

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/2006-Porsche-Cayman-S-987/SSE-AD-3980804?DistanceFromMePostcode=3102

Only negatives are possibly brake pads replacement upcoming at 60k if that's not done and that silly licence plate. 

Yep, that's well specced. Most aren't. In my search for one, I found that upcoming service expenditure was a popular reason why they were for sale. 

Just had my major service done on my '06 S which it passed with no issues. Don't forget brake fluid change every two years, on top of servicing. I assumed it was part of the major service....I assumed wrong.

My previous owner also had the clutch and flywheel replaced, and new front rotors and pads (at 66,000kms). That was a $5k visit.  I didn't ask why a new clutch was needed so soon, but Porsche Melbourne fitted it, so all good with me. 

I would be disappointed if that car goes for much less than his sticker price. Most of the other advertised Caymans just do not have the options, and make no mention of how close to a $2k+ service they are. 

I think my mate is aiming a bit too high with expectations for his budget.  He might jag one where the seller needs it gone, yet he'll need to up his money a bit in my opinion

He's now hinting at a Boxster and get a hard top, yet I'm trying to talk him out of it (no offence to Boxster owners)

I think my mate is aiming a bit too high with expectations for his budget.  He might jag one where the seller needs it gone, yet he'll need to up his money a bit in my opinion

He's now hinting at a Boxster and get a hard top, yet I'm trying to talk him out of it (no offence to Boxster owners)

Perhaps a regular Cayman can be more palatable?

I gave him the lowdown on that, and he's going to consider it. Not much of a choice really! There's a blue S here in Adelaide he's keen on, and has been for sale for a while, yet its a UK import. Nice looking car, yet I've told him to be careful and get a PPI done 

I gave him the lowdown on that, and he's going to consider it. Not much of a choice really! There's a blue S here in Adelaide he's keen on, and has been for sale for a while, yet its a UK import. Nice looking car, yet I've told him to be careful and get a PPI done 

Nice colour that one, and rare too. Been on sale for a few months, so if your mate's happy with a UK car, it has $48k written all over it. 

How about his one?. It's a fairly boggo spec but has new Pirellis and bi-xenons. Alloys are in good nick. Worth checking the service history, but looks like a decent car. 

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-3892474

That would be a very cheap option!

Is a "base" Cayman really that bad? If I were looking, would probably start there and most likely be plenty of car for me, especially for the money! Has he driven both?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2007/SSE-AD-3953992/?Cr=0 grey is close to silver :)

or another UK import http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2006/SSE-AD-4210118/?Cr=3 and it is silver

That would be a very cheap option!

Is a "base" Cayman really that bad? If I were looking, would probably start there and most likely be plenty of car for me, especially for the money!

A base cayman is a fine car. But if I'm paying $5k for servicing on a 4 year maintenance cycle either way I would rather the S.

The other thing is that the base Caymans are still around mid 40k which is a decent premium to an equivalent Boxster.

A base cayman is a fine car. But if I'm paying $5k for servicing on a 4 year maintenance cycle either way I would rather the S.

The other thing is that the base Caymans are still around mid 40k which is a decent premium to an equivalent Boxster.

That's what dealers charge for servicing a 10 year old P car..... wow! Glad I do all my own :)

Don't panic CoSo a major service isn't that expensive.  Unless you break things of course!

http://www.porschesydneysouth.com.au/Boxster-and-Cayman

I wouldn't dismiss a smaller engine Cayman either.  In fact there are people who prefer them to the 3.4's.  For the series one cars at least you wouldn't have to worry about bore scoring which seem to be a material risk with the bigger M97 engines.

I've never driven a Cayman but I reckon I could get to like a series two car.  With prices now starting in the late sixties they present a compelling proposition.

Good luck with your search. 

Don't panic CoSo a major service isn't that expensive.  Unless you break things of course!

http://www.porschesydneysouth.com.au/Boxster-and-Cayman

What I mean to say is that over every 4 year cycle you'd pay around $5,000:

$700 + $1200 + $700 +$2000 (I think some recently mentioned the major service was actually $2200)

= $4,600 excluding fluids and replacement parts etc. 

But I wasn't aware that the 3.4L M97s were more susceptible to bore scoring; thanks for letting me know.

Honestly I'd be chuffed with a regular Cayman if it was a good price too! Don't know when that will be though our how far I should stretch. My original plan is still to wait for the crossover point between the price of a Cayman GTS or GT4 and my Porsche savings fund!

Sorry, didn't pick up the cumulative aspect!

Two things I've learn about Porsche owners that may be useful to you:

1. The owners of cheaper ones are at least as happy as the owners of more expensive ones. 
  2. Irrespective of the power and the age, we always seem to arrive at the coffee stops at the same time on SMT's

What I mean to say is that over every 4 year cycle you'd pay around $5,000:

$700 + $1200 + $700 +$2000 (I think some recently mentioned the major service was actually $2200)

= $4,600 excluding fluids and replacement parts etc. 

But I wasn't aware that the 3.4L M97s were more susceptible to bore scoring; thanks for letting me know.

Honestly I'd be chuffed with a regular Cayman if it was a good price too! Don't know when that will be though our how far I should stretch. My original plan is still to wait for the crossover point between the price of a Cayman GTS or GT4 and my Porsche savings fund!

That will be an ever increasing fund I fear. Both models sold very low numbers here, and are both very well regarded. Here's a picture of my financial advisor when I asked about the chance of getting into a GTS

mon_shutterstock_110414_badmaths-740x385

That will be an ever increasing fund I fear. Both models sold very low numbers here, and are both very well regarded. Here's a picture of my financial advisor when I asked about the chance of getting into a GTS

mon_shutterstock_110414_badmaths-740x385

Was thinking of starting a construction business on account of how easily I can shift goal posts each day!

Ok! So matey has decided on a standard Cayman, as he's not bothered with 2.7 versus 3.4, bigger brakes, lighter wheel nuts or whatever, he just want's a Cayman, as it's his favourite Porsche. 996's or anything else won't be considered, just a Cayman, and preferably silver in colour

As mentioned, he is fastidious, so an average high km car won't be considered, and any car will be need a PPi

He's keeping a keen eye on all the online carsales and Gumtree ad's, yet as sometimes happens, word of mouth can be just as good

He has a budget of $45k waiting to hand over, so if you know of anything around, let me know via pm, text or a call. 

Cheers

Lee 

ph 0407 942 151

Archived