911 side windows - one size fits all?

Philbee

Hey guys,

was wondering if anyone can tell me how swappable the side windows of a 70s 911, which have chrome finish frames, are with a 3.2 which has black frames? Thinking of buying some older windows to swap in and change my black frame look to polished.... If I know one size fits all I can start slowly looking and buying when some parts come up .... Or are some years or models (eg. s or t or e or turbo) different in shape and don't quite slot in an easily??

btw, mines an 1987 911. 

I assume the window size is the same for all, but I do know that the earlier cars, at least up to the mid years, have opening rear windows. I am sure you could get them to fit, but you would probably need the mounting hardware as well.

From what I have read on PP, yes, the glass is the same, the body frame is the same apart from a flange added to the B pillar to support the fixed window.  Even the holes are in place to convert to opening windows. 

I (would) like the opening rear windows for the air flow through the cabin (4/80 air conditioning) but would have to put up with the louder sound of a flat 6......terrible! :)

Hey guys,

was wondering if anyone can tell me how swappable the side windows of a 70s 911, which have chrome finish frames, are with a 3.2 which has black frames? Thinking of buying some older windows to swap in and change my black frame look to polished.... If I know one size fits all I can start slowly looking and buying when some parts come up .... Or are some years or models (eg. s or t or e or turbo) different in shape and don't quite slot in an easily??

btw, mines an 1987 911. 

Depending on how long you are happy to take the car off the road for, you could just take the window and frame out and have the existing frame Nickel or Chrome plated. Re-chroming all the chrome on my '66 was around $1500 if that helps. 

Depending on how long you are happy to take the car off the road for, you could just take the window and frame out and have the existing frame Nickel or Chrome plated. Re-chroming all the chrome on my '66 was around $1500 if that helps. 

cheers mate, that's good to know. My cars a weekender so off road for a week is no prob. You're in Adelaide, who did the job for you? I might give them a buzz.

Oh, btw, was that door handles as well?

cheers mate, that's good to know. My cars a weekender so off road for a week is no prob. You're in Adelaide, who did the job for you? I might give them a buzz.

Oh, btw, was that door handles as well?

Not a problem. You might be waiting longer than a week though, make sure you have that conversation before you commit, mine took awhile, but time wasn't an issue for me. From memory it was Reflections at Kilkenny, just next door to Marque Restorations. In saying that there are a few reasonable places in Adelaide who can do it. I didn't do my door handles as they were not too bad, but yes, they'd be able to do those too, just take them (and any parts to be honest) apart first. 

Boys O.Garage, I may have asked the wrong question sorry... To remove all the bits off your car, who did that? I was told that's a big cost item! In particular, the door frames.... Your $1500 is just to do the caroming, right? 

Boys O.Garage, I may have asked the wrong question sorry... To remove all the bits off your car, who did that? I was told that's a big cost item! In particular, the door frames.... Your $1500 is just to do the caroming, right? 

The door frames are pretty easy. Just take off the door trim, and from memory there are about 4 allen head bolts that need to be removed, a couple in the door jamb and a couple in line with the other bar. Then with your window wound down, they just slide up and out.

I'm near Marion mate, so if you need a hand to remove the bits, I'm sure myself and Zander (Boys own garage) could help you out over a few sherbets, as we've both done it. As Jeff says, its pretty easy

Lee

From what I have read on PP, yes, the glass is the same, the body frame is the same apart from a flange added to the B pillar to support the fixed window.  Even the holes are in place to convert to opening windows. 

I (would) like the opening rear windows for the air flow through the cabin (4/80 air conditioning) but would have to put up with the louder sound of a flat 6......terrible! :)

I removed the ( non working ) a/c and heater from my SC and fitted earlier flip out rear quarter windows . The air flow thru the cabin is noticeably better and stays fairly cool ,plus the combination of  Headers and a  Dansk 2 in/ 2 out muffler and open rear windows makes for quite an aural experience!:)

I'm near Marion mate, so if you need a hand to remove the bits, I'm sure myself and Zander (Boys own garage) could help you out over a few sherbets, as we've both done it. As Jeff says, its pretty easy

Lee

lee, very generous of you but I'm in Melbourne...the logistics of it all makes it too hard for me. 

Also, I forgot to mention my trim is black. Turning it to chrome seems a different proposition I think to Boy-Garage as his was already chrome - I rang around today and it seems some can't do it, some not sure... depends on whether its anodised aluminium or painted or steel or other zinc composite...Also, the door handles need to be pulled apart,  it gets confusing or complicated (well for me anyway). So, I may just buy (new & 2nd hand where I can find) and get them swapped.

phil

The door frames are pretty easy. Just take off the door trim, and from memory there are about 4 allen head bolts that need to be removed, a couple in the door jamb and a couple in line with the other bar. Then with your window wound down, they just slide up and out.

That's really good to know... thanks Jeff.

Ah ok. I thought you were in SA. Might cost you a bit more than a few sherbets then! ;-) 

Door handles are an easy fix,  as you can buy them from Sierra Madre or Pelican Parts. Standard ones, or hot rod type with holes drilled in them. As for the window frames, they can get expensive. Think the last pair of door frames I saw for sale were around the $2000 mark, and they needed rechroming.  Maybe try Spyder Parts in Victoria, or he (Mike I think) might be able to point you in the right direction

Ah ok. I thought you were in SA. Might cost you a bit more than a few sherbets then! ;-) 

Door handles are an easy fix,  as you can buy them from Sierra Madre or Pelican Parts. Standard ones, or hot rod type with holes drilled in them. As for the window frames, they can get expensive. Think the last pair of door frames I saw for sale were around the $2000 mark, and they needed rechroming.  Maybe try Spyder Parts in Victoria, or he (Mike I think) might be able to point you in the right direction

yep, I noticed on PP door handles aren't that dear too... But I didn't know frames were that much... Ok, so maybe a combo. I found chrome plate guy who's near me now and open on satday too so I can pop around and he take a look. If he can do the windows and I buy the door handles.... As Jeff said the frames aren't hard to remove. There's hope for me yet....

Archived