Above and beyond help needed for 944... Sydney, C/Coast, Newcastle

Dreamr

+1 on second opinion.

944's aren't what most mechanics know well, even if they are Porsche mechanics.

I assume you are in Sydney so I would be taking it straight to http://www.buchananautomotive.com.au/

Bruce and Sean know these cars backwards and will give you the advice you need.

Always refer to the cover of the Hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy in situations like these and *Don't Panic* ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ronny

Suggest you keep enjoying the car as is and have a chat about options at the next CC C&C.

Given how you have described how well it runs I don't think there is any hurry to do anything for a long time.

But not so much that it's fouling no 3 spark plug and causing rough running?

I reckon you've got years left in this motor! :-)

As spoken on the phone Ronny, Brandon has plenty of options,,,,,,,

Let him drive it and enjoy it first as you have a fair few miles left in it yet. Worse comes to worse you do an engine rebuild and buy a second engine if needed... buy this time Brandon will either like the car or loath it,,,,

Prior preparation and planning is required and there is no need to hit the panic button yet. A lot of useful info has been thrown your way and i am sure we are all here to help as best we can but remember 'Rome wasn't built in a day'. 

let him enjoy it, play with it and drive it....as with all cars there are costs, but some are worth more than others and some take more time to finance but thats part of the fun....;)

You know where we are if you need anything guys....:D

• 2 months later...

Hi Ronny, Have you had any progress?

That's only a 25PSI difference  so it's not catastrophic. A low compression reading could also be a combination of the rings and the valves on #3 if they are not seating properly.  Does it have any other symptoms? Pull the head and have a look. It's an easy job.

I pulled the head off mine and had it the valves, stems and seals done for about $350.

These are not particularly complicated engines. If the bore is not damaged (as in by a broken ring - these have aluminium bores) than a rebuild is not that difficult. You can do it with the engine in the car. 

Let me know how you go. Cheers David

Hi Ronny, Have you had any progress?

That's only a 25PSI difference  so it's not catastrophic. A low compression reading could also be a combination of the rings and the valves on #3 if they are not seating properly.  Does it have any other symptoms? Pull the head and have a look. It's an easy job.

I pulled the head off mine and had it the valves, stems and seals done for about $350.

These are not particularly complicated engines. If the bore is not damaged (as in by a broken ring - these have aluminium bores) than a rebuild is not that difficult. You can do it with the engine in the car. 

Let me know how you go. Cheers David

Hey David,

I have decided to leave the engine as it is at the moment and just get the small oil leaks behind the timing cover fixed, along with the timing belt changed.

When and if it gets any worse, we can address it at the time. It is totally usable at the moment so I don't see any reason he can't use it.

Seems it needs a new clutch as well so I'm going to order 1 and watch some youtube videos ....

Thanks for asking .... I'll let you know how I get on .....

Beg, borrow or steal a compression test gauge, read up on how to use it, and do the test. Cylinder pressures should ideally be within 10% of each other. What's the factory spec?  Then, put a tablespoon of oil in the engine through the spark plug hole and test again. If the compression rises then it's most likely rings. If not, then it's probably valve train related. Worn valve or seat, not seating fully, etc.

If I was in your area I'd happily donate my time and tools. Done plenty of engine rebuilds over the years, but not a porch yet. Happy to learn. 

Beg, borrow or steal a compression test gauge, read up on how to use it, and do the test. Cylinder pressures should ideally be within 10% of each other. What's the factory spec?  Then, put a tablespoon of oil in the engine through the spark plug hole and test again. If the compression rises then it's most likely rings. If not, then it's probably valve train related. Worn valve or seat, not seating fully, etc.

If I was in your area I'd happily donate my time and tools. Done plenty of engine rebuilds over the years, but not a porch yet. Happy to learn. 

That's a kind offer and one I was ultimately looking for ..... I was also keen to get my hands dirty and learn on the go.

A compression test was done on the car and the numbers were posted at the beginning of the post.

The mechanic did put oil in number 3 cylinder and it did rise, indicating the rings.

The money being asked by workshops is way out of reach for a 16 year olds part time McDonalds wages .....

Archived