Above and beyond help needed for 944... Sydney, C/Coast, Newcastle

Dreamr

What sort of mechanical ability do you and your son have? Are you asking for some guidance, or are you essentially looking for someone who will do the whole thing from beginning to end? Because a properly done rebuild is a very big job and takes a lot of man hours, there is a reason a shop charges 10 to 15k to do it. So you would have to be very lucky to find someone willing to do all that for free.

If you have the space and tools and don't mind doing a lot of the work, I'm sure there are many who can guide you and your son along the way. I only just finished my rebuild so I'd be happy to walk you through the whole process.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What sort of mechanical ability do you and your son have? Are you asking for some guidance, or are you essentially looking for someone who will do the whole thing from beginning to end? Because a properly done rebuild is a very big job and takes a lot of man hours, there is a reason a shop charges 10 to 15k to do it. So you would have to be very lucky to find someone willing to do all that for free.

If you have the space and tools and don't mind doing a lot of the work, I'm sure there are many who can guide you and your son along the way. I only just finished my rebuild so I'd be happy to walk you through the whole process.

Unfortunately, the mechanical gene skipped us both .....

In answer to your question, I'm asking for any and all help I can get ..... I'm happy to listen to all advice and take everything onboard.

I was pretty much hoping to find someone close by to hold our hands and help / guide us through the process. I would love to be a part of a build. I would be more than capable of pulling the engine apart, but getting it back together would be a disaster.

Why does an Oz shop charge $10k+ and a UK one $4k?

What's a good used 944 engine worth?

Because we are the only ones stupid enough to pay the stupid prices!

I questioned the mechanic about why it cost so much ..... I honestly can't understand why it cost so much. I realise that there is a lot of work in a rebuild, but $10k - $15k???

I still don't think that a used engine will solve my issue ..... when i have to take into account the cost of the engine (and any potential issues) the refitting and the fact that the original engine still needs work, I'm not sure that's the answer either.

At this stage, I'm not sure which course to take .....

At this stage, I'm not sure which course to take .....

I have a 17 yo son about to get his P plates. He also loves Porsches (has driven all of mine) but he'll be driving a small Hyundai, which will serve him well. He will get to drive the 911sc as and when I see fit, but no reason not to allow him under supervision.

You either cut your losses and sell what you've got , or keep the car as is and let him drive it around for 6-12 months. If he loves it and wants to keep it long term (like Pauly) above and over other young man's alternatives (Impreza etc etc) then with the money he's saved from part time jobs he'll be well on the way to the privilege/responsibilities of owning an exotic classic. After 12 months the car will have appreciated regardless, providing he has driven it responsibly.

It's definitely not an investment , except in ownership and driving satisfaction.

Cylinder 1, 2 and 4 = 185psi

Cylinder 3 = 160 psi

I was told that when oil was put in the cylinder, the compression came good ..... apparently this means that the rings or bore are the culprit.

If the oil pressure is OK - more than 4 Bar above 2500 RPM hot - and not smoking or using excessive oil, I'd be leaving it as-is and monitoring over 12 months.  Paying for a workshop rebuild on a 30 year old 944 is over-capitalisation...

If the oil pressure is OK - more than 4 Bar above 2500 RPM hot - and not smoking or using excessive oil, I'd be leaving it as-is and monitoring over 12 months.  Paying for a workshop rebuild on a 30 year old 944 is over-capitalisation...

If by 4 bar, you mean on the oil pressure gauge, then yes, it has plenty of pressure ..... it has always been over 4 bar when hot. The entire trip from Brisbane it had pressure above 4 on the gauge. The engine temperature was steady the whole way as well. It performed flawlessly.

The report says ..... cylinder #3 is burning excessive amounts of oil and is low on compression. Compression comes good with oil applied to the cylinder.

Ronny

Suggest you keep enjoying the car as is and have a chat about options at the next CC C&C.

Given how you have described how well it runs I don't think there is any hurry to do anything for a long time.

The report says ..... cylinder #3 is burning excessive amounts of oil and is low on compression.

But not so much that it's fouling no 3 spark plug and causing rough running?

I reckon you've got years left in this motor! :-)

Cylinder 1, 2 and 4 = 185psi

Cylinder 3 = 160 psi

I was told that when oil was put in the cylinder, the compression came good ..... apparently this means that the rings or bore are the culprit.

To me that is not excessively low and I personally would not do a full engine rebuild based on that.

What I suggest you do, and what I would do, is drive the car as a daily driver (or as much as you can) along a known route that you can roughly verify via google maps or similar. Do this for 1000km or so and monitor the oil consumption and if it is close to what Porsche say it should use then do not worry about it, drive and enjoy it (my 928 is listed as using approx. 1.5 litre per 1000km, so these things are designed to use oil - 944 is closely based on 928....). How much oil did it use on the journey home? Does it rattle, make weird noises, blow copious amounts of smoke or anything other bad trait? I would think that some of the 30 odd year old cars that we drive around in would not have perfect compression but unless it poses/ causes a problem I feel it would be fine, hell my car may not have perfect compression and while I may now be curious about it I and not going to test it.

If you find that it does use excessive amounts of oil try and get hold of a  boroscope or similar and have a look at the bore, well all the bores and compare. You may get lucky with a simple hone and new rings?

Me, I would just drive and enjoy it and not worry about it unless something becomes really obvious - it is your sons first car after all :)

Ronny

Suggest you keep enjoying the car as is and have a chat about options at the next CC C&C.

Given how you have described how well it runs I don't think there is any hurry to do anything for a long time.

More than happy to have a chat at the next C&C .....

It doesn't run rough at all ..... BUT ..... according to the report it is fouling up the plug.

To me that is not excessively low and I personally would not do a full engine rebuild based on that.

What I suggest you do, and what I would do, is drive the car as a daily driver (or as much as you can) along a known route that you can roughly verify via google maps or similar. Do this for 1000km or so and monitor the oil consumption and if it is close to what Porsche say it should use then do not worry about it, drive and enjoy it (my 928 is listed as using approx. 1.5 litre per 1000km, so these things are designed to use oil - 944 is closely based on 928....). How much oil did it use on the journey home? Does it rattle, make weird noises, blow copious amounts of smoke or anything other bad trait? I would think that some of the 30 odd year old cars that we drive around in would not have perfect compression but unless it poses/ causes a problem I feel it would be fine, hell my car may not have perfect compression and while I may now be curious about it I and not going to test it.

If you find that it does use excessive amounts of oil try and get hold of a  boroscope or similar and have a look at the bore, well all the bores and compare. You may get lucky with a simple hone and new rings?

Me, I would just drive and enjoy it and not worry about it unless something becomes really obvious - it is your sons first car after all :)

I'm not sure how much oil it ate on the way home, if any at all. It wasn't something I thought about checking although I did have my eyes glued to the oil pressure gauge and the temperature gauge all the way ..... Oil pressure was at the top of the gauge the whole way.

On a wild, out there type of question...how is the valve adjustment?

I have absolutely no idea ..... but I'm more than happy for you to check them if you feel the need .....  :lol:

Ronny

I reckon you've got years left in this motor! :-)id.

Firstly, don't panic, I don't know who did the report but you have got a worst case scenario in front of you. I can understand you feeling how you feel Ronny, but i feel, as other people have said, you have a bit of driving to do yet.

Just step back, take a breath and enjoy it for a while and weigh up your options, knowing you pretty well, you and Brandon probably already have gone through all the options.

Keep positive and I'm sure a solution will come up for you and Brandon.

Don't let this put a dampener on the 3rd Porsche purchase for you.

An over adjusted valve could be holding a valve slightly open and causing a low compression reading. Just a thought.

I tend to agree with Peter M.

Don't panic

I have a cheapy (Aldi) borescope if you want to borrow it.

Ronny

+10! What 30yo car that's done around 200ks, without an engine freshen up wouldn't be down in compression in one cylinder? Also factor in the workshop may have stretched the truth a little to get some repair work as well! I am a cynic yes!

This isn't one of those VW motors you know!

Hydraulic tappets - no adjustment required...:)

Thought they were cam on valve or rocker, no hydraulics.

That's what you get for believing what you read on PP.

?

Thought they were cam on valve or rocker, no hydraulics.

Even the ancient Audi engined n/a 924 doesn't require such chiropracty. And with a $12 timing belt that takes 10 minutes to change and a non-interference engine , really the pick of the low maintenance Porsche family.

I repeat, don't panic.

I can always take it off your hands minus the cost of a rebuild.........:ph34r:

So if I just give you the car and a few grand ...... would that work for you?  :wacko:

I can assure all of you that I am not in a panic or running around the lounge room with my head in my hands!

All I am trying to do is decide if a 16 year old needs the headache and steep financial learning curve ..... I get that this type of thing comes with any "older" car, but all I can do is what I feel is best for him right now. As I wrote in an earlier post ...... I'm trying to be proactive rather than reactive.

Get hold of a good workshop manual, hire a engine hoist & Stand, or maybe buy the stand $100 -$150. 

Put on BBQ & have an engine removal day, no beverages until the engine is out. Hopefully you can get one or two that know what they are doing. If you get onto some of the freight companies that consolidate shipments for people from OZ. You can order the parts from OS, only machine the surfaces you have to, put it back together. Another BBQ to put it back in & you are away.

I would drive & enjoy the car, you just drove from Brisbane to the central coast & did not have one issue, No Smoke/No missing/No overheating/No rattles, & if you had not been told you would not even be having these conversations.    

If you want to rebuild, get a used motor from the state's, low cost freight it here & take your time rebuilding it with you son (You may even find a Tafe course where he could rebuild the engine as a project). Still have the remove/reinstal BBQ when you are ready. 

Have you sought a second opinion.?

I don't know what you paid for the car, but you would no doubt pay a 'similar' amount for any other first car for your lad..  If it had low compression would you consider a rebuild or just drive it into the ground - that is, not over capatalise on said old car..  Drive it to enjoy it for the now - deal with the issue later..  And if it does go BANG, chances are, the way the market seems to be heading you might just even recoup your initial spend.  Put it down to experience and move on to the next one

:)

Even if the rebliud is $10k the car will still be relatively cheap. 

Especially if he keeps it for the next 10years. Not much per year. 

Lend Jr the money & make him pay you back. Between that & the costs associated with the car you'll make sure he doesn't have enough money to do drugs. Win!!?

Even if the rebliud is $10k the car will still be relatively cheap. 

Especially if he keeps it for the next 10years. Not much per year. 

Lend Jr the money & make him pay you back. Between that & the costs associated with the car you'll make sure he doesn't have enough money to do drugs. Win!!?

That was really funny Bill .... I laughed out loud and my wife thought I was having a fit . .

The only problem is if he doesn't have his own money to do them, I'll have to start sleeping with one eye open ..... :unsure: :lol:

That was really funny Bill .... I laughed out loud and my wife thought I was having a fit . .

The only problem is if he doesn't have his own money to do them, I'll have to start sleeping with one eye open ..... :unsure: :lol:

I'd advise sleeping with one eye open if you make him sell it. :o

Archived