BAD 951

Guest vas930

Just to add my 2 cents worth is that there is a bump / ripple in the Tarmac mid bend which is not very large and off the racing line line however if you are off line, as I have been on my track bike, at a reasonably high speed it absolutely scares the daylights out of you as it unsettles the suspension while still traveling at around 160 on a bend with only two tiny contact patches holding you all together and on the road. Maybe, just maybe this unsettled him too which led to the crash.

• 1 month later...

You can get a used 996 GT3 for around 100k.

Not bad for what you get.

I would call that cheap. :)

I guess that is cheap(ish) for what you get(well out of my league) but considering Patrick's car base car could be bought for $15-$20K that would leave you around $80k in mods and I am not even sure you could even get close to spending that much. Ohlins suspension $15k go nuts on the motor/trans etc and you would have change from $30k. you might have to start gold plating stuff to spend $100K on a 952. go a 951 and it would be cheaper again as they are worth peanuts(in US) compared to the local delivered cars. I'm guessing a $100K budget would not only get you a GT3 competitor, but would cover your racing costs for several seasons, but you would have to sort the car, unlike a GT3.

peace

Cyberpunky

• 3 months later...

Just came upon this thread as a newcomer to this forum. (lol...interesting to see some of the comments in here too)

Yes the car is back in the rebuild stage but with some more significant changes. 

As to the accident. Still pissed off about it in more ways than one. Took a long time to get the car to that level and for that to happen virtually the first time back was not pleasing in any way. For the record I also broke a few ribs and got a pretty sore neck out of it to add injury to insult! 

Many people have had their say on what happened and what I did and didn't do. I don't believe it was totally down to one reason however I have documented proof to show that there was a suspension issue. Basically the rear inside wheel was lifting off the track surface creating a 3 wheeled wedge on most corners. To add, I was travelling about 16kmh faster down the straight that time as the car in front (Alfasud Sports Sedan with mid mounted turbocharged 13b rotary motor w/ around 600hp) had been causing me to stop/start somewhat on previous laps. He was also potentially dropping some fluids as you can see him slide on the last corner onto the straight on that lap (apart from seeing the fuel billowing out of his exhaust pipe). I also had no rear downforce without the wing and that part of the track is somewhat bumpy. People say I turned in too early, well I've turned in at that part plenty of times before without hassle. There's actually a little 'groove' that seems to help an early turn in point. People also say I over corrected. I can say that once I knew that I was going off the track all I had in my mind was NOT to turn hard left and hit the inside wall. We've seen quite a few cars do this and end up rolling over, sometimes multiple amounts. So I thought I'd take my chances in the outfield. Unfortunately we had had the wettest week in April and the grass and gravel offered absolutely no resistance or slowing capacity at all. It was just one of those pretty awful moments when you know something bad is going to happen and there's not much you can do about it but hold on for the ride. I'm not saying I'm perfect by any means (far from it) and want to continue to run the car and learn. I do a lot of reading to help improve my driving, however there were definitely reasons that accident happened which was out of my limited skill set to save. In hindsight I should have recognised that something apart from suspension adjustments were needed. If you watch the few laps I did in the session before the crash you can see the car misbehaving in many corners. We made some suspension adjustments at the track but at that stage didn't realise what was happening with the wheel lift. A pity. I was also super amped to be driving the car again after 18 months off the track during the build. Some of that enthusiasm clouded my judgement for sure and I kick myself when I watch these videos now. 

The improvements to the new car will mean we have sufficient suspension travel and mean that we get to use all 4 wheels on the track.

Oh, and a new motor will be in the car which will add about another 200bhp...hmm, that's a little bit scary now isn't it! 

Oh, and in relation to the value for money vs a GT3 and the competitive effectiveness against them...I've spent well over $100k on my 2 cars but if you had to do it again from scratch you could build a 952 that could hold it's own against a GT3. My car back in 2010 was as fast or faster than the quickest GT3 cars on the same R spec rubber. It was the fastest car on R spec rubber at the last Porsche/BMW challenge day I went in back in 2010 and still holds class lap records for the PCNSW. So if you're serious about beating up on the GT3 guys (which they really don't like btw :D  ) then you could put together one of these great little cars for less money. 

In fact, I am putting together another one made up of many of the parts that were in that car back in 2010. It won't have a cage and will be a fantastic road/club car with tons of go fast goodies on it. Plan to price it in the $40k region if anyone is really interested in that sort of car. They are a seriously undervalued platform that suffer from "That's not a Real Porsche!" snobbery. That's what makes it all the more fun when you beat them on the track! 

Thanks, Patrick.

That's a great write up. :)

For the record, I was not suggesting  one was better than the other.

Just pointing out the value of a GT3 for those that don't have the time or knowledge to do it themselves.

Cheers Kerry. Well the 200 more is a guesstimate. Essentially everything on the incoming motor is improved &/or enlarged. 20% more capacity (2.5 > 3ltr) and a heap of modifications over the largely stock motor in these videos. That motor produced 355whp. Add 15% for driveline loss = 408bhp...give or take. The next motor should have well in excess of 600bhp based on similar or lesser motors elsewhere. 

Vas, I totally agree. I went in our former Club Capt's 996 GT3 with slicks on and it was a brilliant car. Just felt so solid and capable. I'd have one in a heartbeat if I was smarter. Luckily for my 952 build, I'm actually quite stupid!  :blink:

Cheers Kerry. Well the 200 more is a guesstimate. Essentially everything on the incoming motor is improved &/or enlarged. 20% more capacity (2.5 > 3ltr) and a heap of modifications over the largely stock motor in these videos. That motor produced 355whp. Add 15% for driveline loss = 408bhp...give or take. The next motor should have well in excess of 600bhp based on similar or lesser motors elsewhere. 

Vas, I totally agree. I went in our former Club Capt's 996 GT3 with slicks on and it was a brilliant car. Just felt so solid and capable. I'd have one in a heartbeat if I was smarter. Luckily for my 952 build, I'm actually quite stupid!  :blink:

And lucky for all those that have enjoyed your project.

What a boring world it would be if everyone just bought a GT3.  :)

Thanks for the kind words Vas. Imagine if we drove LHD vehicles down here. Then we could import US cars at less than half of what we pay Down Under. I'd have bought a GT3 for sure. They really are a great car. Having said that, it seems that there are quite a few people out in Club racer land that have bought 997 GT3s and are actually slower on the track than when they had 997S or even 993s. I think perhaps the earlier version of the 997 GT3 might have a bit too  much understeer built in. Think I'd be tempted by the early 996 version. From what I'm told by the purists this is the one to get. 

Damn you, Patrick.

Now I don't know what to do.

I drove a 996 MK1 before I bought the 930.

It was a great car, but the car felt like it needed another 100hp.

To many years driving turbo's has left me with a false sense of speed.

I know I would be a good 6 to 8 seconds a lap faster in even a stock 996 GT3.

Grrrrrr, maybe I should wait and buy a 3.8 997.  :unsure:

It's just so incredibly prevalent. In and out of the PCar community. Mostly it's just ignorance of not having been in a nicely setup example of a front engine water pumper. As a few of us have progressed over the years with our builds and had some decent results (especially Sean Buchanan and Mark Croudace) people have started to take a little more notice in our club anyway. Can't wait to get back on the horse myself. It's going to be quite a ride!  

Vas, I know exactly what you mean about the boost bug. I drove a reasonably setup S2 on the track a while back and it was nicely balanced and had about 220bhp but I kept waiting for the boost to kick in. Just doesn't feel right when it's not there. 

• 7 months later...

Just to kinda round off this thread. The car has been transformed into what I term version 4 (v4) and is back on the track finally. So far, so good. Did a first shakedown and almost no tool had to be touched all day which is generally unheard of. Car was fast and balanced too. Very satisfying. I'm sure the look isn't for everyone but it's been built for the purpose of Time Attack and Sprint events. Looks like we will be a bit faster than we thought at this years Superlap event.

Thanks for sharing with us Patrick.

The final product is just incredible and has the looks to match.

The amount of time and detail on your car is something we don't see other than pro race teams.

Just awesome.

Now to enjoy the car and do what you set out to do.

All the best on track and please stay safe.  :rolleyes:

Archived