Which Tyres 924 turbo

Dreamr

So ..... I'm a little confused with the conflicting information I have.

I want to replace the tyres on my 924 turbo with some 2nd hand ones ..... the reason for this is that it will be very few and far between drives at the moment while I very slowly restore the car. I really only want to get it past Rego for the time being and this is one of the things on the list.

The confusion is this ..... the sticker under the bonnet and in the manual says to use:

185/70/15

the current tyres on the car are:

215/60/15

Can anyone shed light on what I should be fitting? I don't know much about tyres or even if the difference in the above 2  is major.

I have the standard 15 inch Turbo rims fitted.

Any info / help is appreciated ......

You can get 185/70/15 from an antique tyre place - where you will pay top dollars for basic crappy tyres. You could also get them from tyre rack in the USA if you are hell bent on original fit. 

I also need new tyres and I am thinking of 195/65/15 - they are very similar in size and rolling diameter. For me I want the factory look of the old tyres and playing around with this calculator  that's what I landed on

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

my car has 225s now and it looks agricultural 

Ronny,

I don't think you'll find any 185/70 x 15 tyres available except for maybe light truck ones.  Consequently you'll have to run slight lower profile like 65, 60 or even 55. 

For that width rim 185 or 195 are the ideal, but 175 to 205 will work OK.

Assumingly you'll be driving it regularly in a year or two after your restoration, I'd just go and buy quality new tyres as for these sizes the top dollar ones are about $130 each so is it really worth the stuffing around?

Ronny why would you put second hand tyres on when for not much more $ you could buy new.

I was trying to give you a break Pete ...   seems there's no getting away from you ...;)

Yes .... rim size 6J x 15.

Assumingly you'll be driving it regularly in a year or two after your restoration, I'd just go and buy quality new tyres as for these sizes the top dollar ones are about $130 each so is it really worth the stuffing around?

You know you can't stop him, but he makes a good statement and he's correct;)

Thanks for your replies guys .....

I didn't realise that new tyres were that cheap ..... thought they would be more.

I may as well get some new ones. Will start looking in the next few days. It was more the conflicting tyre sizes that I didn't understand.

@Ozvino ..... I'm not that hell bent on original fit .... in this case, close enough is good enough.

Try and keep the rolling diameter as close to original as possible otherwise you will get speedo error. Use the comparison function in the tyre calculator link that Ozvino posted to check.  I think this is what Ozvino is trying say, not stay original fit.

using the calculator you can see that there is almost zero difference in rolling diameter "between the original tyre size and the tyre now fitted", therefore close to zero speedo error. This is what you are after.

Shop around, see what is available and use the calculator to check the speedo error.

Another thing you can do, before looking for tyres, is to check your speedo for any error (GPS) then tuning it out with an appropriate tyre size.

Isn't this fun?

Isn't this fun?

No ......  :lol:

Seems someone did their due dilligence as according to the speed calculator, the larger size fitted is the same rolling diameter as the smaller recommended size.

Lucky I'm not in a hurry as I think I need a few days off due to an oncoming headache ..... :blink: 

Seems someone did there due dilligence as according to the speed calculator, the larger size fitted is the same rolling diameter as the smaller recommended size.

Lucky I'm not in a hurry as I think I need a few days off due to an oncoming headache ..... :blink: 

That's what I was trying to say but l left out the important bit. I'll go back and fix it.

Headache ? Now change wheel diameter and look for tyres sizes.

If you  want a migraine....change the diff ratio

It's exercise for the brain ?

Just watch you're not letting the tail wag the dog!  I'd suggest have the same rolling diameter is a "nice to have" rather the be all and end all with making the tyre choice, especially if having to run a wider tyre to achieve this means you have to compromise tyre compound, steering feel or tyres rubbing at full lock.  Running a 205 60 profile should give you access to good sticky tyres and only results in the speedo reading a few percent slower than before which I think will be the best achievable compromise all round.

If you're not interested in sticky tyres, ignore the above!

Try and keep the rolling diameter as close to original as possible otherwise you will get speedo error. Use the comparison function in the tyre calculator link that Ozvino posted to check.  I think this is what Ozvino is trying say, not stay original fit.

using the calculator you can see that there is almost zero difference in rolling diameter "between the original tyre size and the tyre now fitted", therefore close to zero speedo error. This is what you are after.

Spot on - that's why I used that tyre calculator. I also like to drive the car as it was designed in the day and to me original wheels and as close as possible factory fit tyres create that experience. Not for everyone I know.

cheers

dave

Spot on - that's why I used that tyre calculator. I also like to drive the car as it was designed in the day and to me original wheels and as close as possible factory fit tyres create that experience. Not for everyone I know.

cheers

dave

So ..... does that equate to you using original size tyres, or the larger 215/60 to give you original rolling size

Thanks for the link to the calculator btw .....

Archived