Hong Kong - History Searching

Al

This thread is devoted to helping those (and myself) discover lost history on their cars that were factory released to Hong Kong or passed through there.

I didnt want to pigeon hole this thread under the Air Cooled section as I want this to reach anyone that can help.

As some may know already, I have a 1981 UK release 911SC. It appears it left the UK in 1987 when the DVLA records ended. It arrived in Australia in 2004 as I have the import certificate information. I found a Hong Kong coin in the car so I now suspect it lived in Hong Kong between 1987 and 2004.

Is there an equivalent department to the UK's DVLA in Hong Kong?

Does anyone have any experience or stories to share about extracting vehicle information from HK?

Who were the major importers and exporters in Hong Kong of 911's?

Thanks.

This will be interesting. When I enquired regarding my Japan delivered SC, the first port of call was apparently the police Force. For the sum of just a few $100 they would make some further enquiries on your behalf. That was as far as I got! 

Japan @tazzieman is Byzantine in dealing with import export issues  to the extent was led to believe you need to go to a or the police station in the prefecture it was resident in.. 

@Al if you got records of it coming in to Oz can you trace the orig oz owner? Did they import it here? Expat?

PC U.K. may be able to assist with some info also . When tracing history on my old UK delivery 1973 S targa they were helpful 

Vehicle import department can't tell me who imported it.. they know but can't say. I have the date and certificate number. I asked if they could at least tell me where it came from. They went searching for the original paper work to find that info but it has been destoyed.. they cleared a heap of files which they are allowed to do.

Explored pretty much all avenues in UK and have pretty much finished that now. Birth cert done, original dealer records done and dvla records done.. pretty happy with the UK chapter of its life.

Vehicle import department can't tell me who imported it.. they know but can't say. I have the date and certificate number. I asked if they could at least tell me where it came from. They went searching for the original paper work to find that info but it has been destoyed.. they cleared a heap of files which they are allowed to do.

Explored pretty much all avenues in UK and have pretty much finished that now. Birth cert done, original dealer records done and dvla records done.. pretty happy with the UK chapter of its life.

How did you find the original import paperwork Al? I'm keen to check on my UK import as well - i have no idea when imported.

How did you find the original import paperwork Al? I'm keen to check on my UK import as well - i have no idea when imported.

Email Sue (helpful lady)

mailto:vimports@infrastructure.gov.au

You will receive a certified letter from the vehicle import department. Good one to keep in the leather bound history book with your Porsche.

That leather bound book has patina!

I'm a level deeper in the Hong Kong system. I received a reply to fill in a form and provide evidence for this that and the other. Well that's a bit of a dead end. I replied explaining the situation so will see what comes back.. the current email contact is:

mailto:tellme@1823.gov.hk

Anyone know some HK cops? Wink wink nudge nudge know what i mean yeah *chews gum*

A reply about my unusual request. There's still hope with this avenue..

We have referred your email to the relevant section of the Transport Department, and will inform you the outcome as soon as possible.

So while we wait.. Let's discuss Hong Kong Porsches.

Do they have a reputation? I hear it's typical for books/paper work to be lost.

Do they typically have rust issues?

Tampered OD readings?

Educate me.

Well they're looking. For some reason the VIN I sent them contained "7"s where the "Z"s should be. They asked for the original engine number so replied with that and the correct VIN.

Anyhow, they're actively looking and appear happy to help which is fantastic.

Hopefully some positive news tomorrow.

So while we wait.. Let's discuss Hong Kong Porsches.

Do they have a reputation? I hear it's typical for books/paper work to be lost.

Do they typically have rust issues?

Tampered OD readings?

Educate me.

Mine is Hong Kong delivered 86 231 hp no rust have all service paperwork from 1996 and owners book with folder (serviced at Jebsen Porsche) brought to Aust by its HK owner who moved to AD a pilot even have all import docs and the name of ship it came over on The Alabama and Voyage no 317. Reading the invoices is interesting 1997 service and brake repair $14,632.70 but it is HK $$ 

Mine is Hong Kong delivered 86 231 hp no rust have all service paperwork from 1996 and owners book with folder (serviced at Jebsen Porsche) brought to Aust by its HK owner who moved to AD a pilot even have all import docs and the name of ship it came over on The Alabama and Voyage no 317. Reading the invoices is interesting 1997 service and brake repair $14,632.70 but it is HK $$ 

Nice! Cheers for the info. Some names of places, ships, freight companies may help some of us with our investigations. Wonder if mine visited Jebsen Porsche.

Hi @Al

Thanks for the contact at imports - have my import date which is very helpful in piecing it all together.

How did you go about getting your car's UK history?  Did you email the DVLA directly?  How did you determine original dealer, get birth cert etc?

I have a UK car and am keen to get as much history as possible - I keep hitting a roadblock with the old Chassis number (not 17 char VIN) as mine is 1979.

Thanks.

Archived