Head shield for the kiddies?

privatepang

Just curious for those of that have  installed child seats in the rear of your 911s, whether any of you had to install heat shields to protect the engine heat from coming through? 

My car is currently in pieces so wondering if i should look into installing a heat shield. Had a look at a few products but they are more in line with motorcycle exhaust heat shielding and it's pretty exxy.

If anyone has done it, any recommendations for a decent and reasonable priced product?

Space blanket is a cheap and good reflecting material under the carpet and simple to apply .. have not done this on a 911 bit did on a couple of english cars and totally have removed a lot of the engine heat soak , with various products .. but remember what dont come in the car generally goes elses where .. maybe put an good oil cool too .. especially on an older car 

I have not felt the back seat to see how hot they get there, but I know that under the carpet over the parcel shelf and back seats, there is a thick, heavy, moulded sound pad, and then there is the other pad in the engine bay. Making sure they are in good shape first and add @symsy 's suggestion, and it should be pretty reasonable?

My old 71t had factory insulation and lightweight carpet - kids if strapped in the seats with harness complained of the heat on occasion, though sitting on a booster sorted that . It does get warm back there however.

biggest issue was the seat belt fixing point got real warm to hit on occasion. . 

My 76 similar though added more insulation. Biggest help though was fitting of a NOS rear blind to the window. Big heat through that glass 

On a serious note - I agree with Michel.  The biggest issue is the sun blazing through a large glass oven window.   I used fugly beach sunshades for the long trips and they complained less.   But, we dont use the car much in hotter days coz they bake and roast in the back.  Mrs would be unhappy if I arrived home with marinated kids.

As my daily driver, my kids grew up in the back of my 72E.  Kindy first, then school, for years. Even after we moved to Brissie.  Didn't do too many long trips though...

Mustn't have scarred them too much as they still can't wait to go for a drive.....My youngest daughter even insisted on me taking 3 of them to the semi-formal last month. 

My car still has it's original 5mm thick bituminous plastic seat pads.  It also had (very bad) window tinting on the 3 rear windows for many years.  

Ok thanks guys. Yeah the sound pad that came with my car disintegrated when i stripped it in preparation for paint so will need to look at other options.
Dont think i'll be re installing my carpets either so this should get interesting.

Good tips on the space blanket etc. Will see what I can find.

My client uses products from Thermal Velocity in Sydney and Megasorber in Melbourne inside their packaged machines.  Some of them run 12 cylinder Mercedes diesels, so lots of latent heat.  You have to put it on the side of the panel that the heat is generated on, obviously.

The megasorber product is really good.  It's primarily for noise attenuation, but it won't burn, tough it can melt a bit if it touches a high heat source, like an exhaust manifold.

Archived