Advertising on PFA...Pt2

Kerry

Comrades!

Just as an FYI... I've ceased the advertising relationship with DigitalNiche media group (banners etc), through no issue from either side, simply it wasn't worth it for me to write invoices once a month for the pittance that the ads generated. In order to make the PFA financially viable I think I'll set up a chook raffle once a week instead.

;):P

This may change in the future, should it become more remunerative, however for now, its us and the ABC!

Cheers,

Kerry

Hey Doug,

We could go directly of course, but this would require an involvement of time which I currently don't have, I have no problem with the role of a "middleman". When I look at the prices that were being quoted to have ads on our forum, compared with the actual fee that landed in my account, it was a percentage that you could count with just a couple of fingers (actually, just one!)! I have no problem with those that do the work taking the lions share, however... well, lets just say, it wasn't reflective of the pixel space they were getting for the pittance offered as rent. If you have a building on a thoroughfare, and an advertising company wants to put a billboard on your roof, question what percentage you might feel would be appropriate, then half it. I wasn't being offered even a fraction of that!

How do the ads generate revenue? The same way any ad does... a market recognises (advertising) a product it "needs", and acts upon the urge (shells out).

Kerry

I should actually clarify a previous statement that I made, to make a point, but was factually incorrect: "compared with the actual fee that landed in my account,"

I was told what fee I should invoice, which I didn't feel was worth me taking the time to generate an invoice/postage etc. Therefore, no invoices were generated, and no fees were actually paid, ie: they got free advertising for the three months the ads were up.

Kerry

Hi Kerry, think we understood that the return wasn't worth the hassle.

Perhaps some companies or businesses or well to do Porscheophiles could "sponsor" parts of the forum, or an individual who sells a car or parts or services could just send you a donation towards running costs.

We all benefit from the forum and I like its informality, long may it continue.

Cheers

Paul M

What about offering a service or product for sale from your business whose $ for the item purchased goes towards the site . I'm sure we have a reasonable cross section of industries represented here. For eg you have excess or old stock of an item you may have written off the books - a fellow user buys it at a heavily discounted price and that proceed is taken as a donation. Win win for everyone involved - not sure if raising revenues on the site has any taxation implications though.

Many thanks for the suggestions lads, all good ideas.

Hopefully getting together with a few of the PFA chaps for a drink next week so might fly a couple of them up the flagpole and see who salutes them...

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry,

you may like to consider what we do on the TYP901 Forum where we charge sponsors an annual fee for their logo along the top of the Forums main pages with a link to their websites. Seems to work OK and the revenue covers the cost of running the site including adding extra storage as the number of photos grows.

As a sponsor of that site, I would be interested in a similar deal on this Forum.

regards,

Phil

(past President TYP901)

Guest vas930

Many thanks for the suggestions lads, all good ideas.

Hopefully getting together with a few of the PFA chaps for a drink next week so might fly a couple of them up the flagpole and see who salutes them...

Cheers,

Kerry

:( Oh I see.

Archived