Home Built 2.7 engine

MFX

Great episode Jeff, amazing stuff.

Mrs Jeff out shopping?

Haha, yes she was missed. She had to stay home and look after the animals (and go to work :( ). 

We will be back to our regular programming this week ;) 

• 4 weeks later...

Parts for my engine build are slowly trickling in.19059527_1840776592910014_87494270806863

As I mentioned in this weeks video I am also looking for a 2.7 cylinder which is suitable to be bored and recoated. I need it to replace one I have which is not repairable. Let me know.

At this stage I am still trying to pin down the exact engine management I will be using, but the rest should be roughly as follows. 

The cylinders, if I can find one more, will be bored out from 90mm to 92mm and I will be using the original crank, which will take it out to the same capacity as the original 2.8RSR (a little over 2800cc).

The stock rods are getting the heads tapered to save reciprocating weight an the top bushings are going to be redone offset towards the top of the rod, to make the rod slightly longer and also be able to drop from a 22mm pin to an 18mm (also saving reciprocating weight).

The pistons are being designed at the moment which will be a much more modern shorter skirt design, with shorter rings, which again saves weight and friction without reliability loss.

Compression will be somewhere around 11-11.5:1 as the heads have been twin plugged. 

The rockers have been repaired and sent off for re-hardening, and cams will be a custom grind to match the rest of the engine specs. It will all be simulated on a computer first so that everything should work together.

I have some ITB's which will be running some sort of EFI and I was looking at running a second distributor off of the end of one of the cams, but I am now looking more into using individual coils.

Just trying to keep the budget under control is the difficult part, but Neil is really going above and beyond so we will have to see how it all comes together. Unfortunately it is going to take some time, and I have a feeling I will have the rest of the car completely finished and I will start on the 240Z before I get the engine parts all together. 

Have you decided what ECU you are going to use Jeff? 

Just in case, if you will go the way with the EPM I have one spare for sale. 

That is all still to be decided. I will let you know when I get to that stage. 

Archived