Home Built 2.7 engine

MFX

Hey guys,

I thought it would be better to start a new thread specifically for the engine rebuild. 

As many of you may know I have sent my engine parts to LA, to Performance Development. They have been busy cleaning up the parts and seeing what we have to start with. 

The current prognosis is not great. The half-witted apes who "rebuilt" (and I use that term very loosely) the engine previously have butchered it. Essentially the engine obviously had pulled head studs, like every other 2.7, but it was the way they went about "fixing" them that was the problem. It looks like a the original stud holes in the case were drilled out by a blind man using a potato. These have been overdrilled in a few cases where it has cracked the case. They then proceeded to half insert some helicoils. From there it looks like they went down to the local hardware store to find new case bolts. Obviously, because the holes in the case weren't square, they couldn't get the head bolts to line up and screw in. No problems, they just re drilled oblong holes in the heads, and cylinders to line up.

Now I know what you are thinking. The whole engine is basically a throw away. Well in many cases it would be, but it doesn't have to be. What if the engine was matching numbers to a rare car (or to be honest matching numbers to any aircooled 911 these days). Well thankfully that is what Performance Developments do. So although my engine is not matching numbers, they are willing to look after me to save me the money of buying something else unkown, and they can demonstrate what level can actually be repaired and to a standard that will last.

So that is where we are at for now. The mind still boggles at how stupid some people can be.

17635111_1797971657190508_49215796108947

17632404_1797971677190506_50087070010125

17622003_1797971713857169_53190065852119

17545183_1797971743857166_86177052703727

Sat here in utter disbelief at that last pic! Even my ex mechanic missus looked at me with WTF? Unbelievable :( 

The missus just asked to look at the pics again. And I quote... 'Jeff should track down the dickheads that butchered that engine and shoot them! How close to the cylinder wall is the hole!!! Jeeeebus!' 'I don't care if its a Porsche or a Mini, you just don't do work (if thats what that is called) like that! What a bunch of morons'...unquote. She's still shaking her head about it :) 

The missus ain't happy Jeff!

Sat here in utter disbelief at that last pic! Even my ex mechanic missus looked at me with WTF? Unbelievable :( 

The missus just asked to look at the pics again. And I quote... 'Jeff should track down the dickheads that butchered that engine and shoot them! How close to the cylinder wall is the hole!!! Jeeeebus!' 'I don't care if its a Porsche or a Mini, you just don't do work (if thats what that is called) like that! What a bunch of morons'...unquote. She's still shaking her head about it :) 

The missus ain't happy Jeff!

I know, even the guys with the engine in the US have been building engines for over 30 years, have never seen that level of butchery! 

I was worried when I saw one of the 'head studs' I removed from the engine, which was much thicker than the others and had about 10 washers on it....

Awesome.. this might just become the "definitive 2.7 CIS 911 engine build worldwide"!!

There is lots of talk on other forums about rebuilds, but so far, this is the only one with some real content. I am very eager to learn what they can do to recondition and repair the cases.

Those heads are awesome... sounds like your case had "porcupine" head stud syndrome :)

Awesome.. this might just become the "definitive 2.7 CIS 911 engine build worldwide"!!

There is lots of talk on other forums about rebuilds, but so far, this is the only one with some real content. I am very eager to learn what they can do to recondition and repair the cases.

Those heads are awesome... sounds like your case had "porcupine" head stud syndrome :)

Except for the CIS bit ;) . I plan on going with some form of EFI, just not sure what way I am going yet.

I know, even the guys with the engine in the US have been building engines for over 30 years, have never seen that level of butchery! 

I was worried when I saw one of the 'head studs' I removed from the engine, which was much thicker than the others and had about 10 washers on it....

Haha. Paula (the missus) just said 'Wow, that's very bad!' 

(actual wording changed due to the VERY fruity language and name calling being used!) 

Those guys definitely had the blue & white aprons on when they rebuilt that engine.:o

A case of not understanding their ambitions & capabilities. Just because you think you can do something, doesn't mean you have the capabilities.

I've been watching your YouTube channel and progress Jeff, you're doing an amazing job and have an enviable skill set 

i was wondering why you sent the engine all the way to the US, Is there nowhere in Australia that can do this sort of work 

looking forward to the next episode 

edit: just seen the thread on the shipping explaining your reasons for the US route 

I've been watching your YouTube channel and progress Jeff, you're doing an amazing job and have an enviable skill set 

i was wondering why you sent the engine all the way to the US, Is there nowhere in Australia that can do this sort of work 

looking forward to the next episode 

edit: just seen the thread on the shipping explaining your reasons for the US route 

It is a good thing I sent it to them now, seeing the level of damage, they are the ones to fix it.

Have a look at this 962 engine they resurrected after a fire. The thing was toast, and they brought it back from the dead.

http://performancedevelopments.com/porsche-962c-resurrection/  

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of an update on what is happening with my butchered engine parts. Neil at Performance Developments has been working away repairing the heads at the moment. They repaired the worst head first. "..The insert is threaded into the head, so it cannot move sideways when the head gets hot. It couldn’t move up or down as the cylinder would stop it on one side and the head washer the other.."
So it is looking a lot better than it did before.

No automatic alt text available.
No automatic alt text available.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from LA this morning, and as of yesterday, we had repaired the worst of the holes in the case. 

The biggest issue is that the hole they drilled was so far from where it was supposed to be. But now we have repaired this one (the worst one) the rest will be a doddle.

18403153_1825249261129414_71733944391581

Archived