Gear Shifters for 996

quasio

Hi all,

Heard a few ppl on the forums with the 997 stock gearshift and love it on the 996. 

https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=997SCU

Has anyone tried the 997 gt3 version with metal bushings? isit worth the extra cash? 

or even the function first solution? about the same price as the gt3 version.

http://www.function-first.com/products/engine-trans/shift-right-solution

(haven't checked shipping though)

yeah as it's a daily driver and used for boring stuff (not track), i'm going to avoid short shifters and , that awesome CAE thingo.

Drove an early 996 with a short shifter and really hated it, but it may have been an after market unit, but it was just a pain trying to get it into gear.

I fitted the genuine 997 shifter about 5 or 6 years ago (40,000km). Its approx. a 15% shorter throw than the standard 996 / 986 shifter and mine hasn't broken or gone sloppy in any way yet. The GT3 variant is probably better with its metal bushings, but it is substantially more $$

My two cents worth is to go for the Numeric Racing short shifter:

https://numericracing.com/store/shifter100/

Beautifully engineered, unlike the Porsche parts it has no plastic parts what so ever.

Has three settings so you can adjust how short you want the setting.  I have it set to the middle setting on mine and it is a perfect balance between manageable in traffic and rewarding in the twisties.

Combine with an alcantara GT3 RS gearshift and changing gears is much better.

My two cents worth is to go for the Numeric Racing short shifter:

https://numericracing.com/store/shifter100/

Beautifully engineered, unlike the Porsche parts it has no plastic parts what so ever.

Has three settings so you can adjust how short you want the setting.  I have it set to the middle setting on mine and it is a perfect balance between manageable in traffic and rewarding in the twisties.

Combine with an alcantara GT3 RS gearshift and changing gears is much better.

looks amazing

I've got a leather gt3 gearshift arriving tomorrow from Suncoast

ok wow, that numeric looks very very nice..

D2000 did u change the console part? or stock 996?

stock 996 shifter. Just replacing gear knob and boot with the 996 gt3 leather shifter. Will have a carbon knob and leather boot up for sale soon...

I have the standard 997 shifter, was one of the first mods I did. Few years on still no slop and works perfectly. IMO the metal bushings arent worth the expense or if you find you don't like it get the FF kit you still come out on top. 

Either way they are both a substantial upgrade from the 996.

i have a porsche genuine 996 short shift... dont like it at all.

As an FYI the 996 shifter is actually a B&M short shift unit in black with the genuine parts logo on it. 

The 997 SSK shifter I've read is the best of the Porsche parts if you're wanting an SSK unless you get a numeric racing then it has 3 settings: regular, medium and short. 

• 1 month later...

Just as an update, changed to 997 shifter.

Wow great change, everything crisper, slightly shorter, and more sure. kinda got that japanese sports car click to it now, whereas the previous was slightly squishy. 

Difficulty to shift has increased but very very slightly. 

To be honest my previous shifter wasn't that bad, but it's a must do for any shifter that's getting really sloppy and loose. Don't feel any need for the GT3 version (not that i've tried it)

I'd say it's a must do for any 996 especially the previous 98's i drove.

This plus the clutch change has really made the car that much more pleasurable to drive.

Just an FYI it shouldn't be hard to shift with a 997 shifter it should be the same if not better than the 996. 

I'd double check the cables with the alignment tool to see if they are within spec. Then i;d check the clutch lines for air and then if its still not better its time to start looking at the clutch slave and master cylinders.

by harder, i mean by the extremely smallest amount, basically due to the shortened throw. it's a little surer if u get what i mean.

The old 996 was loose and a longer throw, hence very slightly easier.

Archived